Skip to main content
Topic: Weird issue with SSH (Read 560 times) previous topic - next topic

Weird issue with SSH

I have 3 devices, my laptop (thinkpad T430S), my desktop, and my phone. My laptop and my desktop are both running artix. When I try to ssh into anything (tested my vultr instance and sdf.org) with my laptop, I get connection refused or timed out. When I ssh with my laptop but I use my phones hotspot instead of my home network, it works fine. My desktop works fine either way. Ping and curl also work fine for the laptop, hotspot or not.  I have checked my home routers configuration, it is not filtering anything or blocking any outbound ports for any devices. I'm not sure if i configured anything wrong on artix, as I know little about networking. What should I try?

Re: Weird issue with SSH

Reply #1
To get some info you could try:
Code: [Select]
$ ip route show
$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
and compare the output on various machines using the working and non-working connection methods. You might need to be on the same network, ie check the last field from ip route show that the left hand numbers are the same, also perhaps look at the nameservers in resolv.conf? I haven't encountered something like this so can't say for sure, but I would think those details could be worth looking at for a start.

Reply #2
To get some info you could try:
Code: [Select]
$ ip route show
$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
and compare the output on various machines using the working and non-working connection methods. You might need to be on the same network, ie check the last field from ip route show that the left hand numbers are the same, also perhaps look at the nameservers in resolv.conf? I haven't encountered something like this so can't say for sure, but I would think those details could be worth looking at for a start.
Both /etc/resolv.conf and ip route show match on both machines (except ip and network interface) because i am using a static ip on both. I have tried to use a non-static ip on both to the same results.

Reply #3
Have you tried connecting your laptop to your home router using a different interface? For example, if you are using the built in wifi, try it with ethernet or a usb plug in wifi dongle or something, to see if this will bypass the problem and help narrow down the cause.

Reply #4
I tried using Ethernet, same results. I also tried 2 other thinkpads with the artix liveiso and wifi, they both had the same problem. Now I'm really confused, why does my desktop with artix work but all these thinkpads dont? And why is it just my home network?

Reply #5
There are some config files in /etc/ssh although these are installed by the openssh package, so unless you have changed them they should be OK. There is also an init service besides the main package, for example with OpenRC you would install both openssh and openssh-openrc for example, then ensure you have enabled the sshd service. That is pretty much all I needed to do to get things working. Another thing to consider is if you were using say Network Manager, try some other software approaches to make the connection.