Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] LXQT Live ISO Network Applet (Read 1380 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] LXQT Live ISO Network Applet

Hello friends
After seeing lxqt had major upgrade then i wanted to give it a try. Booted from USB Artix Live and so far everything looks operational to me except networkmonitor applet. It is not available in system tray. I also cant add it tray add button doesnt do anything for networkmonitor applet. I am not sure it is related to lxqt or artix. Am i missing something here ?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Re: LXQT Live ISO Network Applet

Reply #2
What is the exact name of the ISO file you copied to the flash drive?
sorry i forgot to add that information. i used weekly build  latest in downloads section.
It is exactly that one i downloaded. Thank you for fast reply.
artix-lxqt-openrc-20220425-x86_64.iso   1.2 GB   2022-04-25 14:27:17

Reply #3
There seem to be other issues with that weekly ISO (Calamares doesn't start), thanks for reporting. This will be looked into. In the meantime, try using one of the "stable" ISOs instead.

In any case, LiveISO is only meant as an installation and repair environment. Installing Artix to hard disk and updating is the intended method of usage.

Reply #4
There seem to be other issues with that weekly ISO (Calamares doesn't start), thanks for reporting. This will be looked into. In the meantime, try using one of the "stable" ISOs instead.

In any case, LiveISO is only meant as an installation and repair environment. Installing Artix to hard disk and updating is the intended method of usage.
Thank you then i have to wait for sometime to install latest Artix lxqt  (1.1.0-1) into my machine.

Reply #5
Thank you then i have to wait for sometime to install latest Artix lxqt  (1.1.0-1) into my machine.
You can install Artix from any working ISO, since it is a Rolling release distribution. Once installed, you are expected to update from within the installed system by issuing
Code: [Select]
pacman -Syu
as root, which will pull the latest versions of packages anyway.

It is possible to install any Artix package from any Artix ISO by not using Calamares but terminal-based installation with artix-chroot and basestrap.

Reply #6
You can install Artix from any working ISO, since it is a Rolling release distribution. Once installed, you are expected to update from within the installed system by issuing
pacman -Syu
as root, which will pull the latest versions of packages anyway.
I already am using another enviroment in Artix but I was planinng to migrate from another de to lxqt with wiping partition and installing only lxqt.
That means if i install stable lxqt and upgrade to latest then i wont encounter the network applet problem ? or the problem could still persists after upgrading lxqt from stable to latest ?

Reply #7
I already am using another enviroment in Artix but I was planinng to migrate from another de to lxqt with wiping partition and installing only lxqt.
You don't need to wipe the partition just to install another DE. You can install them both at the same time, or install one and remove the other.

By the way, I was able to pinpoint the cause of the issue to package galaxy/libstatgrab not being installed. After running
pacman -S libstatgrab
(in the installed system with LXQt) networkmanager applet is able to start.

Edit: Useful links:
1. https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Installation#Desktop_Environment
2. https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Meta_package_and_package_group

Reply #8
It may be possible to update to rebuilt calamares from within the weekly ISO by enabling [gremlins].

Reply #9
You don't need to wipe the partition just to install another DE. You can install them both at the same time, or install one and remove the other.

By the way, I was able to pinpoint the cause of the issue to package galaxy/libstatgrab not being installed. After running
pacman -S libstatgrab
(in the installed system with LXQt) networkmanager applet is able to start.
Pardon me thats because of my english. I meant i dont want leftover cache or unnecessary packages (Even linux can get bloated depends on the user lol) and wanted a fresh install.

Thank you for your help installing libstatgrab solves the issue related to networkmonitor applet in system tray.

Re: [SOLVED] LXQT Live ISO Network Applet

Reply #10
I meant i dont want leftover cache or unnecessary packages (Even linux can get bloated depends on the user lol) and wanted a fresh install.
To quote https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman#Installing_packages
clean removal: pacman has a list of every file in a package; this way, no files are unintentionally left behind when you decide to remove a package.
leftover files are usually configuration files in $HOME (most often $HOME/.config and $HOME/.cache) and other files not owned by a package (most often /var/cache). Arch wiki has a section dedicated to finding such files.

Other than that, galaxy/ncdu can be used to identify which directories and files take up the most space. And this little Perl script does the same for installed packages (needs expac).

Reply #11
had the issue with the network applet too , but also with the power applet, when i add redshift, and bluetooth.   A quick search came up with the same solution for the network widget, but from past lxqt updates, it does seem to be a vaguely regular thing (not artix, but in general for arch/lxqt)..   Fromzero, do you have the same with  say the power applet going missing too, even though lxqt-power management is installed by default and functioning (with a tick in the box to show icon)?  Basically all applets were there and fine before the lxqt upgrade to 1.1.0

Reply #12
had the issue with the network applet too , but also with the power applet, when i add redshift, and bluetooth.   A quick search came up with the same solution for the network widget, but from past lxqt updates, it does seem to be a vaguely regular thing (not artix, but in general for arch/lxqt)..   Fromzero, do you have the same with  say the power applet going missing too, even though lxqt-power management is installed by default and functioning (with a tick in the box to show icon)?  Basically all applets were there and fine before the lxqt upgrade to 1.1.0
libstatgrab is listed as optdepends for lxqt-panel (even though it currently seems required to start some applets and not optional), so I suggest first trying with its other optdepends.
$ LC_ALL=C pacman -Si galaxy/lxqt-panel
[...]
Optional Deps   : libpulse: Volume control plugin
                  alsa-lib: Volume control plugin
                  libstatgrab: CPU monitor and Network monitor plugins
                  libsysstat: System Statistics plugin
                  lm_sensors: Sensors plugin
I guess the reasoning behind having those dependencies as optional is that they are not required for the basic functionality of lxqt-panel. I agree that error reporting from within lxqt-panel itself could have been better, perhaps with a dialog box informing the user that a certain library is needed. (Perhaps suggest this to upstream.)

Reply #13
thanks for that, but didn't help (the first 2 were already installed, but re-installed anyway).   I'm looking at an endeavor lxqt install to cross reference as that seems ok.   Shall keep on head scratching for a bit, and will update if i come up with anything.

Reply #14
well,  there's a system tray plugin that needs to be added under widgets., and that allows the battery and brightness widgets to show.    no luck with redshift or  bt yet...