Skip to main content
Topic: No GUI after updating today (Read 1476 times) previous topic - next topic

No GUI after updating today

Hey guys, the update today broke my side PC. The GUI won't load up anymore. My main PC is fine which is odd.

I think this line from dmesg is relevant, let me know what else I can post to help.
Code: [Select]
[   25.531870] elogind[902]: Failed to connect to system bus: No such file or directory
[   25.531887] elogind[902]: Failed to fully start up daemon: No such file or directory

Re: No GUI after updating today

Reply #1
I downgraded elogind and that error doesn't come up anymore, but my GUI still won't load. Any help is much appreciated.

edit: I reinstalled the system, took a few hours but was worth it I guess.

Reply #2
Oddly enough, I had the same issue. It was a lightdm issue for me. I got everything to work just fine after downgrading the lightdm-runit package. For others that may run into the same problem, your mileage may vary.

Reply #3
What errors do you get with the latest lightdm service?
Are dbus and elogind started properly?

Reply #4
Hello people,

Beginner here:

I do not know if it is related, but I think I am having the same issue.

2-3 days ago I updated  my system with sudo pacman -Syu (try do to this every day) but no pacman messages such as ".pacsaves" or ".pacnews"
The only thing pacman told me to do was enabling a service.
I took a screen shot of the pacman output. All went well except for 2 lines that I have never seen:

in red color "lightdm-runit" The rest of the output in my default color (pacman did that)

Pacman said:

"LIGHTDM-RUNIT: the service now hard depends on elogind"
" LIGHTDM-RUNIT: The service now has a log service, see svlog( 8 )"

After that pacman went on as usual "upgrading package xyz". Once it was finished it put out the default message
to enabling a service. I guess it meant lightdm. Even though it was already enabled and I did not mess around with it.

I am not sure if pacman meant to enable lightdm again. Anyway, after I re enabled it. I rebooted the machine which I try to do all the time after an system upgrade. Then I could not log in anymore. I tried to change the tty, because there was none.
Even that failed (I might have forgotten the right key combination for that though). However the cursor did not even blink. It got suck. Black screen with stuck cursor in the upper left corner.

So I switched of my machine per switch. After I turned it on again lightdm was back again and I could get back in. In fact, I am replying to you on my artix system. However, sometimes lightdm will not start. I did an upgrade, 10 minutes ago after reading this thread and then I rebooted and I could not log back into my system yet again. So, again, I turned my computer off/on, and now I am back in artix. I do not know, if it only happens during restarts.

Since it seems that I am not the only one affected, I am thinking about removing lightdm and use "startx" instead.

What do you think?

Next time I will save the command output in a text file as soon as I learn how to do that, in order to provide detailed information.

Now that I remember: I think I had the same issue with lightdm a few weeks ago already, but maybe now with the update of 2-3 days ago it might have gotten worse.

Reply #5
I have had no problems here running lightdm, however, I am not using runit, only openrc and dinit. On 5 systems that I have, they are all up to date and (so far) no problems.

Reply #7
Pacman said:

"LIGHTDM-RUNIT: the service now hard depends on elogind"
" LIGHTDM-RUNIT: The service now has a log service, see svlog( 8 )"
pacman said nothing, it is stuff I told it to echo to the users so that they are aware of those changes.

I am not sure if pacman meant to enable lightdm again.
This is a small inconsistency in the pacman hook for runit services, it is addressed in a PR on the package so it should be fixed soon. You may want to check the state of your service directory since it may now have a lightdm linked into the lightdm service.

So I switched of my machine per switch. After I turned it on again lightdm was back again and I could get back in. In fact, I am replying to you on my artix system. However, sometimes lightdm will not start. I did an upgrade, 10 minutes ago after reading this thread and then I rebooted and I could not log back into my system yet again. So, again, I turned my computer off/on, and now I am back in artix. I do not know, if it only happens during restarts.
Since you provide no log I can't be sure about why it is failing like that for your exact setup but with other people I saw a race condition with elogind that produces some weird effects so I pushed an update of elogind to testing yesterday that tries to fix this race condition by adding a check script to elogind.

You may want to try it or wait until it reaches stable repos.

Reply #8
I have had no problems here running lightdm, however, I am not using runit, only openrc and dinit. On 5 systems that I have, they are all up to date and (so far) no problems.

I see, thank you.

It's been two years since I replaced lightdm with sddm on Artix OpenRC XFCE, following problems like this:
sudo pacman -S sddm-openrc
sudo rc-update add sddm default

sudo pacman -Rsu lightdm

Thanks for your advice. If the issue should persist, I will try sddm.

pacman said nothing, it is stuff I told it to echo to the users so that they are aware of those changes.

Ah, I see. Thanks for pointing this out.

This is a small inconsistency in the pacman hook for runit services, it is addressed in a PR on the package so it should be fixed soon. You may want to check the state of your service directory since it may now have a lightdm linked into the lightdm service.

I think it is linked

run/runit/service

agetty-tty1  agetty-tty3  agetty-tty5  bluetoothd  elogind  NetworkManager
agetty-tty2  agetty-tty4  agetty-tty6  dbus        lightdm  udevd

Since you provide no log I can't be sure about why it is failing like that for your exact setup but with other people I saw a race condition with elogind that produces some weird effects so I pushed an update of elogind to testing yesterday that tries to fix this race condition by adding a check script to elogind.

You may want to try it or wait until it reaches stable repos.

Thank you for pushing this update. I'm still far away from being proficient in Artix (and Linux in general). Therefore, it is better to stay away from the testing repo. I will wait until the update is ready for stable.

Reply #9
LXQT-OpenRC stable repo system . Today the update caused the same situation for me. I did not read carefully about update packages but probably there were elogin and udev. I cant get into sddm and desktop so basically no gui but tty only.

Reply #10
LXQT-OpenRC stable repo system . Today the update caused the same situation for me. I did not read carefully about update packages but probably there were elogin and udev. I cant get into sddm and desktop so basically no gui but tty only.
yup.
same here for kde-plasma.
qt6 and udev were updated today. No X now  :'(

Reply #11
Hi,
Same here, system up-to-date, with runit, sddm and plasma.
After upgrade and reboot, sddm gives me a blank screen. i can just see & move my mouse  :D
I checked the recent upgrades from pacman.log, and saw qt5-base 5.15.3 -> 5.15.4
So i downgraded to 5.15.3 (still there in arch/extra), stopped and started sddm, and bingo, it works :)

Reply #13
Hi,
Same here, system up-to-date, with runit, sddm and plasma.
After upgrade and reboot, sddm gives me a blank screen. i can just see & move my mouse  :D
I checked the recent upgrades from pacman.log, and saw qt5-base 5.15.3 -> 5.15.4
So i downgraded to 5.15.3 (still there in arch/extra), stopped and started sddm, and bingo, it works :)
It makes sense now, thanks a bunch. Downgraded to 5.13.3 and rebooted. System got back to normal and fully operational.