Skip to main content
Topic: Utilities shell script (Read 9141 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Utilities shell script

Reply #15
New version released V5.2, fixed even more bugs, added ability to work without a running session, added smart service detection and a startup manager (for now only for OpenRC). Enjoy.

Reply #16
V5.5:
added s6-init and fixed runit
added dxvk installer in wine menu
added proper titles in terminal mode with ASCII graphics (plain block characters for now, i need to learn how to do fancy graphics)
improved the script's appearance for easier modifications
further fixed bugs and further optimized the shell

This is a recommended update, not much in features but in overall quality

Reply #17
V5.7:
added settings menu
added ALSA audio device info menu that can launch alsamixer on a selected device
added an option to start a x0vncserver (for now you need to have the passwd file in ~/.vnc/passwd for the option to show)
added an option to terminate running wine programs/server under the wine manager
support for more terminal emulators, Terminator is now considered optional since it's only needed for the tilling terminals under system monitor
some commands that can fill up the screen in terminal mode are now ran through 'less' for scrollback
other small improvements

LE: Known bug: Downloaders section broke, will fix it soon

Reply #19
Thanks
i fixed what broke last time

V5.8:
fixed downloaders and cleaned up some of it's functions
added more filtering options in pacman search
further optimized the terminal option selector to reduce/sometimes eliminate flickering in some terminals, also changed the color to yellow/orange for better visibility

TODO: i want to try and port it in the near future, to different shells like zsh, or even to python

if there are more features you would like to add, let me know!

Reply #20
V6:

decluttering of the option lists, adding/modifying menus should now be easier
added kdialog support (some misc menus remain zenity only for now)
the separator is now dynamic in the terminal
more paths added in cleanup option
some more consolidations to avoid problems

I've started to port the script to zsh, if everything goes fine it should be ready soon with complete feature parity.

As always, enjoy!

Reply #22
V7:

-Initial zsh port! it was quite easy since the syntax is pretty close, so the bulk was just swapping some commands around, it still took a while to get right. i'm not taking full advantage yet of some zsh native features that can bring some big optimizations, expect the structure to change a bit later. Some more testing is of course needed to see if there are any problems, but so far works fine. Give it a try :)

-Navigating in the terminal mode in zsh version you use the right arrow instead of enter to select an option, the read -k/vared of zsh doesn't quite behave like read -n in ba-/sh. For continuity i also ported right arrow alongside enter in the posix-y bash version.

-the service manager and a few other functions are faster to load

-Almost every dynamic function (notably Mount tools, USB manager, Fan control, Settings, ALSA devices) is now auto-refreshing in terminal.

-the menu structure is even easier to understand and modify with dynamic menus. For the posix-y bash version it's createarray <<<, and for the zsh version even easier, just create the array like in a normal menu but with local IFS=$'\n'; in the front. Embed that in a function for autorefresh.
Zsh is also easier to use overall since you barely have to worry about quoting, and where you need splitting just issue command "local setopt sh_word_split" or encapsulate the variable ${=var}, depending on the case. In the future i will remove the unnecessary quotes from my port.

-an option to turn off the autorefresh was added

-tweaked the ansi escape codes in terminal option selector, for bold and more visible text and hidden cursor. Limited max number of array elements to 200 when in the terminal option selector to avoid scrollback issues. The title border is now also dynamic. For this i had to scrap the fancy block characters, they were screwing up the rendering in some terminals anyway.

-zenity --text-info, --question and --warning get kdialog support, what's left are --file-selection, --entry and --scale. Konsole gets proper tab name if used.

-the root GUI options couldn't start without the sudoers rule, i have no idea why, possibly new "security" crap somewhere in coreutils. For now as a workaround they will run in terminal mode. Nothing changes if you use sudoers rule.
with this i also have to investigate Wayland support, but i don't hurry with it, Xorg is here to stay and i'll use it for many years to come.

-fixed cosmetic bugs that creeped in the previous versions

-other misc. improvements

Reply #26
yeah the zsh version is made for zsh shell, it needs it.

curious how it started well with bash, it seemed to ignore the different syntax.

just for posterity, i will continue the zsh and (posix-y) bash versions alongside each other, one day i may even add a python version and do all three.

however at one point i will recommend the zsh version once i manage to do some big optimizations with it's native features. bash is really stripped down compared to zsh, it was just made as replacement for posix shell a while back and it stuck until very recently :)

Reply #27
i installed zsh but i think i need to reboot.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #28
V7.1
Fixed gui question and some more cosmetic bugs
Fixed installing aur package (bug was introduced in last ~ 2 versions)
Added yaourtix support
Variables get filled in automatically to make the utconfig file more readable
Improved filtering of garbage/irrelevant values in sensors view and improved readability
ZSH: native array substraction and compare used in service manager, even more performance improvement
ZSH: fixed OpenRC startup manager

Enjoy!

Reply #29
V7.3
Added Dinit to the startup manager and simplified some operations on dinitctl
More options get hidden automatically if the particular deps. are not present
Solved the launching of root gui options without sudoers rule
Investigated the behavior of root gui options under Wayland, they appear to work fine! the display timeout option will get hidden on it as that didn't work.
Other small optimizations
Fixed cosmetic bugs in kdialog and question/warn messages
ZSH: aur terminal mode and services gui mode broke in the last version, fixed them
The script now runs in /tmp by default always, in file chooser was added an option to point it to the home directory

This is a recommended update, since there are no more outstanding problems. For now i'm thinking about what new utilities to introduce, but consider it be feature complete. :)