Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Jack2 Issues after Installing and uninstalling Pipewire (Read 457 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Jack2 Issues after Installing and uninstalling Pipewire

Hello all,
Recently, I wanted to experiment with pipewire. So, I followed instructions and installed it, removing pulseaudio and jack2 and other dependencies. After I discovered I was getting xruns with pro-audio applications, I decided to switch back. After switching back, all was good, except for in jack2 when applications close and try to disconnect from jack2, they will freeze and not be able to disconnect. For instance, if I load carla with jack, it will work fine until I close it, which will cause its gui to freeze and the application won't leave the jack connections in qjackctl.

I'm not sure what to do about this and was wondering if it had something to do with packaging or maybe a config file that pipewire creates that conflicts with jack2. I did replace jack2 with pipewire-jack when experimenting with pipewire, but have uninstalled it for jack2.

I have found downgrading doesn't work, but jack (the original jack1 from the AUR) doesn't have this problem. I've also tried building jack2 myself with artix's PKGBUILD, but this also doesn't help. I've tried jack2 with different sound cards, with and without d-bus, and still get the same issue. I've also submitted a bug in jack2's source code, which is here.

I hope you can help me, or maybe give me some advice on this. :)

Re: Jack2 Issues after Installing and uninstalling Pipewire

Reply #1
I fixed this issue by experimentation. After finding out a new user on my machine has no issues with jack2, I figured out by copying my user's ~/.config folder to the new user's, then selectively deleting config folder after config folder to figure out how to fix the problem.

Turns out, removing ~/.config/rncbc.org fixed it. Fluidsynth is also working again correctly.

If I had to give advice, if software is acting weird, try the software on the same computer but with a fresh user to see if the home folder is the problem.

Re: Jack2 Issues after Installing and uninstalling Pipewire

Reply #2
i love the solution you came up with.  it's raw and works.  woot!
Cat Herders of Linux