Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Firefox and Chromium keep crashing (Read 3602 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Firefox and Chromium keep crashing

I've been having this problem since around march. Firefox tabs sometimes randomly crash, and sometimes also the browser completely crashes. I initially thought this was a problem with Firefox so I tried to downgrade or to create a new profile without extensions, but nothing worked. Then I found out that when a Firefox crash happens if I start Chromium (ungoogled-chromium from the Universe repo) from the terminal I get a "Segmentation Fault" error and I need to restart my computer to fix it. If I'm using Chromium instead of Firefox I also sometimes get tab crashes.
I tried to reinstall Artix from scratch. During the first days the problem seemed to be gone, but now I'm starting to experience this again. I was using Xfce before and am now using clean Openbox. Everything else seems to work just fine, it's just something that concerns the two browsers.

As I'm not an expert, how can I find out what is causing the problem?

Re: Firefox and Chromium keep crashing

Reply #1
What tabs are crashing? Are these tabs with media content?

Reply #2
What tabs are crashing? Are these tabs with media content?
I'm pretty sure images or videos are involved the majority of the times (I made some tests on Twitter and Reddit and crashes are frequent there, Zoom or Google Meet conferences on browsers also crash very often). I remember there was a time where the AriaNG webinterface page crashed too. I'm not sure if that is considered media content.

Reply #3
I would try LibreWolf.  Some ad blocking prowess might help
Code: [Select]
 sudo pacman -S librewolf

Please let us see you system 

sudo inxi -Fxzm
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #4
I would try LibreWolf.  Some ad blocking prowess might help
I'm using Firefox + arkenfox's user.js. I tried Librewolf too and the problem was still there. I don't think this has to do with extensions.
System:
  Kernel: 5.17.8-artix1-1 arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 12.1.0
    Desktop: Openbox v: 3.6.1 Distro: Artix Linux base: Arch Linux
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: Gigabyte model: H81M-HD3 v: x.x serial: N/A
    UEFI: American Megatrends v: FB date: 08/11/2015
Memory:
  RAM: total: 15.52 GiB used: 5.38 GiB (34.6%)
  RAM Report:
    missing: Required tool dmidecode not installed. Check --recommends
CPU:
  Info: quad core model: Intel Core i5-4690 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Haswell
    rev: 3 cache: L1: 256 KiB L2: 1024 KiB L3: 6 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 3366 high: 3878 min/max: 800/3900 cores: 1: 2798
    2: 3861 3: 2929 4: 3878 bogomips: 27947
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics
    vendor: Gigabyte driver: i915 v: kernel bus-ID: 00:02.0
  Device-2: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 950] vendor: Gigabyte driver: nvidia
    v: 515.43.04 bus-ID: 01:00.0
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.3 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.1 driver: X:
    loaded: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: vesa gpu: i915,nvidia
    resolution: 1920x1080~75Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950/PCIe/SSE2
    v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 515.43.04 direct render: Yes
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:03.0
  Device-2: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio
    vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
  Device-3: NVIDIA GM206 High Definition Audio vendor: Gigabyte
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 01:00.1
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.17.8-artix1-1 running: yes
  Sound Server-2: JACK v: 1.9.21 running: no
  Sound Server-3: PulseAudio v: 15.0 running: no
  Sound Server-4: PipeWire v: 0.3.51 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
    vendor: Gigabyte driver: r8169 v: kernel port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
  IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
  IF-ID-1: docker0 state: up speed: 10000 Mbps duplex: unknown
    mac: <filter>
  IF-ID-2: veth5e33f91 state: up speed: 10000 Mbps duplex: full
    mac: <filter>
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 2.73 TiB used: 2.1 TiB (77.0%)
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD10EZEX-08M2NA0
    size: 931.51 GiB
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST2000DM008-2FR102 size: 1.82 TiB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 491.54 GiB used: 72.59 GiB (14.8%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/dm-0
    mapped: cryptroot
  ID-2: /boot size: 511 MiB used: 66.6 MiB (13.0%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/sda1
  ID-3: /home size: 491.54 GiB used: 72.59 GiB (14.8%) fs: btrfs
    dev: /dev/dm-0 mapped: cryptroot
Swap:
  Alert: No swap data was found.
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8 C mobo: 27.8 C
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
  Processes: 285 Uptime: 1d 6h 2m Init: s6 Compilers: gcc: 12.1.0
  clang: 13.0.1 Packages: 1051 Shell: Bash v: 5.1.16 inxi: 3.3.15

Reply #5
Nothing jumps out as a problem with your system.  Even your bios is up to date with the most recent available.  You could install dmidecode and rerun sudo inxi -Fxzm to see what it shows about your memory.  You have no swap in use and could consider a small swapfile 1-2 gb.  You could try running a test on your system memory to be sure there's no error with it but if you are gaming fine on this system as i suspect you are then even that probably isn't gonna show much.  16 gb of ram is surely enough to run any modern browsers.

I suppose the next thing is to run a browser from a terminal and see what error messages it spits out when it crashes.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #6
This is the part of the report with dmidecode installed. Nothing suspicious to me:
Memory:
  RAM: total: 15.52 GiB used: 4.72 GiB (30.4%)
  Array-1: capacity: 32 GiB slots: 2 EC: None max-module-size: 16 GiB
    note: est.
  Device-1: ChannelA-DIMM0 type: DDR3 size: 8 GiB speed: 1600 MT/s
  Device-2: ChannelA-DIMM1 type: no module installed
  Device-3: ChannelB-DIMM0 type: DDR3 size: 8 GiB speed: 1600 MT/s
  Device-4: ChannelB-DIMM1 type: no module installed
What do you mean with test on system memory?
By the way, I rarely play games.
I'll try and see if the terminal output has something useful, but if I remember correctly nothing interesting was there.

Oh, I forgot one thing. I had one of those tabs crash when I was encoding a video from a DVD with Handbrake. Not sure if this could point to something.

EDIT: here's the report from the terminal:
###!!! [Parent][PContentParent] Error: Send(msgname=PContent::Msg_DiscardBrowsingContext) Channel error: cannot send/recv

###!!! [Parent][PContentParent] Error: Send(msgname=PHttpChannel::Msg_DeleteSelf) Channel error: cannot send/recv

###!!! [Parent][PContentParent] Error: Send(msgname=PHttpChannel::Msg_DeleteSelf) Channel error: cannot send/recv

###!!! [Parent][PContentParent] Error: Send(msgname=PContent::Msg_FlushTabState) Channel error: cannot send/recv

###!!! [Parent][PContentParent] Error: Send(msgname=PContent::Msg_CommitBrowsingContextTransaction) Channel error: cannot send/recv

###!!! [Parent][PContentParent] Error: Send(msgname=PContent::Msg_DiscardBrowsingContext) Channel error: cannot send/recv

###!!! [Parent][PContentParent] Error: Send(msgname=PContent::Msg_FlushTabState) Channel error: cannot send/recv

###!!! [Parent][PContentParent] Error: Send(msgname=PContent::Msg_CommitBrowsingContextTransaction) Channel error: cannot send/recv

And this was the page where I got the crash (a random Reddit link I took from the homepage): https://www.reddit.com/r/italy/comments/uvz29c/in_quel_di_genova_esiste_un_gelato_fascista_dalle/

Reply #7
Most linux live usbs have a memory test that can be run from them to detect errors.  My first thought was a memory error but as you have plenty of ram a test of the physical memory might show something but if youre gamin on this then probably not an issue if you get no crashed while gaming but only in the browser.

Are you using any kind of firewall?  maybe a vpn?

I'm grasping at straws really as to why your browsers are crashing.  Even if it was a failure with your network card it would show while gaming also if you are gaming online like most young people are doing.  Trying to think of something specific to your browser only...

Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #8
Yeah, this is happening only with Firefox and Chromium and I really don't get why. Everything else works just fine.
And no, I don't use any firewall or vpn. But I do use dnscrypt-proxy.

Reply #9
Yeah, this is happening only with Firefox and Chromium and I really don't get why. Everything else works just fine.
And no, I don't use any firewall or vpn. But I do use dnscrypt-proxy.

using gufw and ufw and the appropriate init script is easy to do and might have a positive effect on your issue. maybe?  I visited that cite in opera with their vpn enabled and didn't suffer a crash.  i also use a firewall.  Try it and see if it helps?
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #10
This is the part of the report with dmidecode installed. Nothing suspicious to me:
Memory:
  RAM: total: 15.52 GiB used: 4.72 GiB (30.4%)
  Array-1: capacity: 32 GiB slots: 2 EC: None max-module-size: 16 GiB
    note: est.
  Device-1: ChannelA-DIMM0 type: DDR3 size: 8 GiB speed: 1600 MT/s
  Device-2: ChannelA-DIMM1 type: no module installed
  Device-3: ChannelB-DIMM0 type: DDR3 size: 8 GiB speed: 1600 MT/s
  Device-4: ChannelB-DIMM1 type: no module installed
What do you mean with test on system memory?
By the way, I rarely play games.
I'll try and see if the terminal output has something useful, but if I remember correctly nothing interesting was there.

Oh, I forgot one thing. I had one of those tabs crash when I was encoding a video from a DVD with Handbrake. Not sure if this could point to something.

EDIT: here's the report from the terminal:

And this was the page where I got the crash (a random Reddit link I took from the homepage): https://www.reddit.com/r/italy/comments/uvz29c/in_quel_di_genova_esiste_un_gelato_fascista_dalle/

searching the error i found this:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1167673

I just keep coming back to hardware failure of some kind in my suspicion.  Try disabling multicore for firefox and chromium and see if it helps like the thread suggests.  I wonder if a core in your chip is an issue.

Try building a package from the aur... something big like linux-libre. ok maybe not that big it could take 3-4 hours.. but maybe build chromium from source.  Edit makepkg.conf and set the core count to j5 to use all your cores.
MAKEFLAGS="-j5"

# ARCHITECTURE, COMPILE FLAGS
#########################################################################
#
CARCH="x86_64"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"

#-- Compiler and Linker Flags
#CPPFLAGS=""
CFLAGS="-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions \
        -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security \
        -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection"
CXXFLAGS="$CFLAGS -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now"
#RUSTFLAGS="-C opt-level=2"
#-- Make Flags: change this for DistCC/SMP systems
MAKEFLAGS="-j9"
#-- Debugging flags
DEBUG_CFLAGS="-g -fvar-tracking-assignments"
DEBUG_CXXFLAGS="-g -fvar-tracking-assignments"
#DEBUG_RUSTFLAGS="-C debuginfo=2"
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #11
I doubt it's hardware failure, more likely a hardware specific graphics bug, but who knows! You could try turning off HW acceleration in FF and / or Chromium and see if it helped as a workaround. If it worked before March you might have updated to a problem version of something, if you have the ability, patience and time to unravel whatever that might be, it's a lot of updates since then. (There are various ways to simplify that process sometimes though.)

Reply #12
I just got a crash while refreshing this thread. At this point I think this has nothing to do with particular contents on the web, it must be something else.
I also got this output when a crash on Chromium happened on Discord:
[2502:2502:0524/123102.348775:ERROR:gles2_cmd_decoder_passthrough.cc(1560)]   GLES2DecoderPassthroughImpl: Context reset detected after MakeCurrent.
[2502:2502:0524/123102.349919:ERROR:gpu_service_impl.cc(979)] Exiting GPU process because some drivers can't recover from errors. GPU process will restart shortly.
[2692:1:0524/123102.360421:ERROR:command_buffer_proxy_impl.cc(328)] GPU state invalid after WaitForGetOffsetInRange.
[2454:2454:0524/123102.393153:ERROR:gpu_process_host.cc(974)] GPU process exited unexpectedly: exit_code=8704
Yesterday Tauon Music Box (a music player) crashed too while I was in a Discord call and started to play some music. Not only Tauon Music Box crashed, but the entire system frooze and I had to restart the computer. I don't know if this is related, it's becoming strange.

searching the error i found this:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1167673
You could try turning off HW acceleration in FF and / or Chromium and see if it helped as a workaround.
I will try and disable multi-process windows and HW acceleration and see if there are any changes.

Try building a package from the aur... something big like linux-libre. ok maybe not that big it could take 3-4 hours.. but maybe build chromium from source.  Edit makepkg.conf and set the core count to j5 to use all your cores.
MAKEFLAGS="-j5"
As for this, I'll try as soon as I have some free time. What should this point to?

EDIT: starting Chromium without HW acceleration now gives these errors in the terminal:
[21191:21191:0524/130811.629597:ERROR:angle_platform_impl.cc(44)] Display.cpp:977 (initialize): ANGLE Display::initialize error 0: Internal Vulkan error (-3): Initialization of an object could not be completed for implementation-specific reasons, in ../../third_party/angle/src/libANGLE/renderer/vulkan/RendererVk.cpp, initialize:1273.
[21191:21191:0524/130811.629719:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(837)] EGL Driver message (Critical) eglInitialize: Internal Vulkan error (-3): Initialization of an object could not be completed for implementation-specific reasons, in ../../third_party/angle/src/libANGLE/renderer/vulkan/RendererVk.cpp, initialize:1273.
[21191:21191:0524/130811.629751:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(1473)] eglInitialize SwANGLE failed with error EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED
[21191:21191:0524/130811.629773:ERROR:gl_ozone_egl.cc(21)] GLSurfaceEGL::InitializeOneOff failed.
[21191:21191:0524/130811.631403:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(185)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[21251:21251:0524/130811.749072:ERROR:angle_platform_impl.cc(44)] Display.cpp:977 (initialize): ANGLE Display::initialize error 0: Internal Vulkan error (-3): Initialization of an object could not be completed for implementation-specific reasons, in ../../third_party/angle/src/libANGLE/renderer/vulkan/RendererVk.cpp, initialize:1273.
[21251:21251:0524/130811.749167:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(837)] EGL Driver message (Critical) eglInitialize: Internal Vulkan error (-3): Initialization of an object could not be completed for implementation-specific reasons, in ../../third_party/angle/src/libANGLE/renderer/vulkan/RendererVk.cpp, initialize:1273.
[21251:21251:0524/130811.749202:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(1473)] eglInitialize SwANGLE failed with error EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED
[21251:21251:0524/130811.749225:ERROR:gl_ozone_egl.cc(21)] GLSurfaceEGL::InitializeOneOff failed.
[21251:21251:0524/130811.752515:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(185)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[21300:21300:0524/130811.795243:ERROR:angle_platform_impl.cc(44)] Display.cpp:977 (initialize): ANGLE Display::initialize error 0: Internal Vulkan error (-3): Initialization of an object could not be completed for implementation-specific reasons, in ../../third_party/angle/src/libANGLE/renderer/vulkan/RendererVk.cpp, initialize:1273.
[21300:21300:0524/130811.799016:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(837)] EGL Driver message (Critical) eglInitialize: Internal Vulkan error (-3): Initialization of an object could not be completed for implementation-specific reasons, in ../../third_party/angle/src/libANGLE/renderer/vulkan/RendererVk.cpp, initialize:1273.
[21300:21300:0524/130811.801040:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(1473)] eglInitialize SwANGLE failed with error EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED
[21300:21300:0524/130811.801091:ERROR:gl_ozone_egl.cc(21)] GLSurfaceEGL::InitializeOneOff failed.
[21300:21300:0524/130811.812353:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(185)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[21375:21375:0524/130811.850145:ERROR:angle_platform_impl.cc(44)] Display.cpp:977 (initialize): ANGLE Display::initialize error 0: Internal Vulkan error (-3): Initialization of an object could not be completed for implementation-specific reasons, in ../../third_party/angle/src/libANGLE/renderer/vulkan/RendererVk.cpp, initialize:1273.
[21375:21375:0524/130811.850307:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(837)] EGL Driver message (Critical) eglInitialize: Internal Vulkan error (-3): Initialization of an object could not be completed for implementation-specific reasons, in ../../third_party/angle/src/libANGLE/renderer/vulkan/RendererVk.cpp, initialize:1273.
[21375:21375:0524/130811.850954:ERROR:gl_surface_egl.cc(1473)] eglInitialize SwANGLE failed with error EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED
[21375:21375:0524/130811.850996:ERROR:gl_ozone_egl.cc(21)] GLSurfaceEGL::InitializeOneOff failed.
[21375:21375:0524/130811.855334:ERROR:viz_main_impl.cc(185)] Exiting GPU process due to errors during initialization
[21394:21394:0524/130811.869390:ERROR:gpu_init.cc(481)] Passthrough is not supported, GL is disabled, ANGLE is
[21163:21403:0524/130812.036870:ERROR:ev_root_ca_metadata.cc(290)] Failed to register OID: 0

Reply #13
the point of the build test is to stress your hardware and see if it fails or not.  To see if maybe you have a hardware faiulure.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #14
I doubt it's hardware failure, more likely a hardware specific graphics bug, but who knows! You could try turning off HW acceleration in FF and / or Chromium and see if it helped as a workaround. If it worked before March you might have updated to a problem version of something, if you have the ability, patience and time to unravel whatever that might be, it's a lot of updates since then. (There are various ways to simplify that process sometimes though.)

Listen to them 
Cat Herders of Linux