Skip to main content
Topic: Can't edit connections in NetworkManager (Read 1087 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't edit connections in NetworkManager

Hi,

When I execute:

Code: [Select]
$ nm-connection-editor

in a terminal and click on "+", choose "Wi-Fi" as my connection type, and click on "Create...", the output from the terminal is:

** Message: 15:52:54.332: Cannot save connection due to error: Invalid setting Wi-Fi: 802-11-wireless.ssid: property is missing

with everything in the connection editor window greyed out. Also, when I run:

# nmtui

I can edit the boxes but when I tried saving it (as root) I get:

Unable to add new connection: Method "AddConnection" with signature "a{sa{sv}}" on interface "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Settings" doesn't exist

I'm running on OpenBox with runit and I did try to restart the service:

# sv restart NetworkManager

timeout: down: NetworkManager: 0s, normally up, want up

wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd together work just fine and I have running right now. When I stopped those services, I get:

# sv restart NetworkManager

ok: run: NetworkManager: (pid 22514) 0s

but when I go to the connection editor, everything is still greyed out.

I would like to use NetworkManager to connect to the internet but I can't seem to figure out what's going on. Any help will be appreciated.

Re: Can't edit connections in NetworkManager

Reply #1
Sorry for offtop, can't help you with neither NetworkManager nor wpa_supplicant (AFAIR both were hell to configure and use), but if you're experienced enough for

> OpenBox with runit

then why don't you try dhcpcd + iwd instead? Although I'm not sure how good iwd with non-intel wifi chipsets.

Reply #2
@dimgel, that is actually much simpler. Sorry, I am the user "budman5" but I got locked out because my email client today is being a little buggy.

Seems like iwd uses clear text but as others:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=270026

non-clear text doesn't make it more secure. Plus the passwords are owned by root.

Reply #3
I know almost nothing about wifi, but iwd supports PSK (my router is configured for WPA2-PSK): file /var/lib/iwd/my-router-name.psk contains (among others) keys "PreSharedKey" and unencrypted "Passphrase" (numeric code printed at the bottom of my router), and file is owned by root. Not sure why you think root is bad (after all, there's sudo for such things); just tried to run iwctrl by ordinary user, it failed with dbus access violation, didn't investigate further.

Reply #4
I don't think root is bad. I guess you can say that I'm being overly cautious.