Skip to main content
Topic: [SOLVED] Latest linux kernel update fails to boot PPM init failed (-110) error (Read 4961 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Latest linux kernel update fails to boot PPM init failed (-110) error

Hi all,

Upon recent update to the latest linux kernel (specifically 5.17.8-artix1-1) on my laptop, I have found myself unable to boot even into a tty. Instead I am presented with a black screen and a long list of what appears similar to the output of a dmesg command, ending with the following:

ucsi_acpi USBC000:00: PPM init failed (-110)

Luckily, I have multiple kernels installed, and am able to successfully boot using the linux-lts kernel.

I am running this on an ASUS Tufbook, with an 11th Gen Intel Core i7-11800H cpu. It also has a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop GPU if that helps.

I have tried some basic reconfiguration using mkinitcpio -p linux and update-grub, but am unfamiliar with this particular error, so I'm afraid at this point I'm at a loss as to how to proceed.

Any help at all or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have found myself looking at exchanges on kernel.org, but it appears there are many causes to this error. I thought I'd try here though considering how knowledgable everybody here is.  Again, thanks to all for any help.

EDIT:  After short looking around, I found a post on redhat's site that may be related. Apparently, it isn't recognizing my usb-c port, I'm assuming unless I compile my own kernel, that I won't be able to fix this on my own. Should I just downgrade my kernel and headers for now? Here is the post I found:

https://learn.redhat.com/t5/Platform-Linux/ucsi-acpi-USBC000-00-PPM-init-failed-110/td-p/7646

Re: Latest linux kernel update fails to boot PPM init failed (-110) error

Reply #1
Just use the latest working kernel, don't sweat so much about being on the bleeding edge. I'm on 5.12 myself, the last one supported by CK's MuQSS and the last one where my laptop's backlight adjustment keys work.
Your hardware is pretty new, so you can expect such regressions to happen; having multiple kernels installed is the Artix world takeover committee's approved method of operation.

Reply #2
I have 3 kernels installed.  Liquorix, Linux, aaaand i built Linux-libre from the aur just to see if it would (headers too) and it does.  Just to echo Nous's point.  I use what i think works best.

Downgrading seems like a reasonable thing to do to answer the question you asked.  Install a few others while you're at it.  Keep several for a backup in case something like that goes wonky.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #3
on the older t400 laptop i am on linux-lts and linux-libre (when wifi card is not needed)
on the ryzen pc i am on linux-lqx, linux-zen and linux-slim
indeed being cutting edge on kernel version is not worth it.
but yeah, by the way, 5.18/5.18.1 is also breaking in my case, vulkan games and they crash. And i had some memory leaks. i suggest avoiding the 5.18.x series altogether

Reply #4
Thanks to everyone who replied. Indeed, it appears that the only solution regarding this is to downgrade my current linux kernel until it is addressed upstream by the kernel developers. I am only about 2 years in on using Linux as my daily driver, and I have certainly learned a lot, but having been solely on Arch-based distributions during that time has instilled in me a strange sense of needing to consistently update all packages rather religiously.

Just for my own reference, how often do all of you update your kernels? Do you just put the kernels and headers in IgnorePkg in your pacman.conf file until your ready to update?

Reply #5
also for about 2 years i am daily driving linux, my first attempt being in 2012 or something  :)
don't bother too much about kernel, i guess just do it with the other updates, once a week, 2 weeks etc. of course when something breaks or a bug was found maybe do it earlier.

another thing you can do is put the kernel in IgnorePkg in /etc/pacman.conf, then downgrade it to the version who worked best and just stay on it. drivers and other dependencies should still work for 1 or 2 more years even as they keep updating

advanced guide is of course build your own kernel from 5.x even 4.x branch but that was too complicated even for me  :)

Reply #6
also for about 2 years i am daily driving linux, my first attempt being in 2012 or something  :)
don't bother too much about kernel, i guess just do it with the other updates, once a week, 2 weeks etc. of course when something breaks or a bug was found maybe do it earlier.

another thing you can do is put the kernel in IgnorePkg in /etc/pacman.conf, then downgrade it to the version who worked best and just stay on it. drivers and other dependencies should still work for 1 or 2 more years even as they keep updating

advanced guide is of course build your own kernel from 5.x even 4.x branch but that was too complicated even for me  :)

Yes, building the kernel and compiling large programs from source is where I draw the line on time commitment as well. Don't get me wrong, one of these days I'll do a Gentoo install to learn, but Artix seems to strike the right balance for me due to the choice of init systems and availability of binaries and access to the AUR.

I'll downgrade my kernel to the last version that worked. Thank goodness I looked into how to install multiple kernels a few months ago. This is one of the scenarios I was preparing for.

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the insights/help.