Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: No graphical display (or network) after upgrade (s6) (Read 334 times) previous topic - next topic

No graphical display (or network) after upgrade (s6)

Deja vu... but thankfully, i did "s6-rc -u change NetworkManager" and "s6-rc -u change sddm" and the graphical screen came up and everything (so far) seems to work (nope... not postgresql... another post).  It's been a few months since i last upgraded (RV life) so that may be a factor.  I would like to know what has changed, though, such that these services, which previously were being started automatically (being in the default bundle, iiuc) now are not being started.

Also, i recall there was some change regarding... the default bundle (?) somewhere about the same timeframe i last upgraded, but no longer remember what it was, now.  But maybe this has something to do with it.

Maybe all i need to do is add the two above services to the default bundle, but... is that what changed? (default bundle no longer used in this way?)  So, how to fix and also why it broke, are what i'm looking for.  Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

Re: No graphical display (or network) after upgrade (s6)

Reply #1
Oh sorry about that, this change is indeed related to the default bundle handing. It's a long story but basically we stopped having our own hack script for managing bundles and instead follow the upstream way to do it since it now supports touching files into a directory (makes it much more feasible to manage things in pacman). There was an old compatibility helper related to this that was kept around (and it warned you to manage bundles in the new way :P) but we removed the code from the backend months ago so if you didn't update your bundles to the "new" way it would indeed be possible to lose them on an upgrade.

Anyways, you can just check the what's on the wiki. Basically just touch empty files named after the service into the /etc/s6/adminsv/default/contents.d directory and reload the database.

Re: No graphical display (or network) after upgrade (s6)

Reply #2
Thanks dudemanguy.   I never really understood the change with the default bundle but your explanation was clear and succinct.