Skip to main content
Topic: Kernel issue prevents reading of 4MiB SOIC (BIOS) chip (Read 318 times) previous topic - next topic

Kernel issue prevents reading of 4MiB SOIC (BIOS) chip

So recently, I tried accessing my laptop's BIOS chip because I wanted to re-flash SeaBIOS to it. I had flashed SeaBIOS internally before, but it wasn't working this time. I eventually solved the issue by downgrading my kernel version from 5.18-Artix to 5.15-LTS and trying again. The guy who suggested the fix to me was a person who was having the same issue as me, and who had fixed it the same way, and he runs Arch. So I think it's either an issue with just Arch-based kernels or even further upstream (like maybe it was something that happened with the general Linux kernel repo).

Is there already a fix in the works for this, or would one of the Artix devs be willing to fix it before they do it upstream, and then replace the Artix fix with the upstream one once it's released?

Re: Kernel issue prevents reading of 4MiB SOIC (BIOS) chip

Reply #1
>> So I think it's either an issue with just Arch-based kernels or even further upstream

Did you try with any other kernel that wasn't from Arch based distros? You could get a kernel from kernel.org and try.

Re: Kernel issue prevents reading of 4MiB SOIC (BIOS) chip

Reply #2
why don't you flash the bios from a system that's safer for this kind of stuff like debian or a *bsd?