Skip to main content
Topic: Akonadi fails to start (Read 594 times) previous topic - next topic

Akonadi fails to start

I recently upgraded my Artix system, and all the KDE PIM applications are useless now, because the Akonadi server cannot be started. It looks like (from akonadictl start) as if the mysql (mariadb) service is unavailable. Any suggestions? (I also have Endeavour, another ARCH derivative, and it has the same problem since the latest upgrade.)
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas

Re: Akonadi fails to start

Reply #2
I am working with Artix runit and KDE Plasma 5 and I have the same problem.
I followed the instructions of the link above, but unfortunately it did not fix the problem.

How to enable and start the service under runit?
I have not found akonadi-runit package.
I was hoping that installing mariadb-runit would fix it, but unfortunately that was not the solution either.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Greets
Roberto

Reply #3
I am working with Artix runit and KDE Plasma 5 and I have the same problem.
I followed the instructions of the link above, but unfortunately it did not fix the problem.

Yeah, I got tons of advice on a dozen different forums, and none of it worked. Here's what finally did the trick for me.

1. In a terminal window, as a normal user, say "akonadictl status". You should get a bunch of information about the supported services, along with a message "stopped".

2. Use the Dolphin file manager to move a directory ~.local/share/akonadi/ to trash. Alternatively, you could just change the name of that directory to something like "akonadi0".

3. Back in the terminal window, say "akonadictl start". You will see a lot of messages, commencing with something about "installing mysql database files". Be patient, it will take a minute or so. When you finally see a line that says org.kde.pim.akonadiserver: Subscriber Akonadi::Server::NotificationSubscriber(0x7f9f08177970) identified as "Archive Mail Kernel ETM - 94691082754864" or something like that, you can hit Ctrl+c (^c) to get the Bash prompt back. Akonadi will keep on running in the background.

4. Start KMail from the start menu. Akonadi will have to repopulate the database from the ~.local/share/local-mail/ files. I have about 40,000 saved messages ... it took about 5 minutes for akonadi to re-index everything. You may have to nudge akonadi by clicking the "check mail" button. Any custom settings you had for certain subfolders will have to be reconfigured. There will probably be some spurious "unread" message flags. And if you use other PIM applications, like KAddressBook or KOrganizer, those will probably be a bit sluugish the first time you start them up.

5. Once you're sure things are working OK,  delete the old "akonadi" directory from the trash. It always pays to keep a backup so long as you might need it.

Quote from: Roberto
How to enable and start the service under runit?

Roberto

I'm not sure I know which service you're talking about. Under normal circumstances, the Akonadi server is started by one or another of the KDE PIM applications (i.e., KMail will start Akonadi if it isn't already running).  And the Akonadi server will start the mysql servce if that's not yet running. Both those processes need to run as user-initiated applications. So starting them after you have logged into the KDE environment is the only way to go.
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas

Reply #4
2. Use the Dolphin file manager to move a directory ~.local/share/akonadi/ to trash. Alternatively, you could just change the name of that directory to something like "akonadi0".
The tip to rename the Akonadi folder solved my problem.
After that I restarted KMail and had access to my mailbox again.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Reply #5
I'm not sure I know which service you're talking about. Under normal circumstances, the Akonadi server is started by one or another of the KDE PIM applications (i.e., KMail will start Akonadi if it isn't already running).  And the Akonadi server will start the mysql servce if that's not yet running. Both those processes need to run as user-initiated applications. So starting them after you have logged into the KDE environment is the only way to go.

The problem is that the service "akonadictl start" belongs to systemd.
Artix does not use systemd as init system.
I use Arix with runit as init system.

In the manual that @nous  linked, the last sentence says:
Code: [Select]
Now you can enable and start the service.
This is what my question was referring to.