Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] VirtualBox service not starting in Artix guest (Read 716 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] VirtualBox service not starting in Artix guest

My new Artix install in VirtualBox (host is Windows 10 Enterprise) always fails to start the "vboxguest" service, but the other vbox services start just fine. What should I have installed in Artix as a VBox guest? Maybe I installed the wrong package. I do not run X, only a shell for NFT learning and testing.
-The Great Sephiroth

Re: VirtualBox service not starting in Artix guest

Reply #1
My new Artix install in VirtualBox (host is Windows 10 Enterprise) always fails to start the "vboxguest" service, but the other vbox services start just fine. What should I have installed in Artix as a VBox guest? Maybe I installed the wrong package. I do not run X, only a shell for NFT learning and testing.
Can you give us the logs for when you try to start the "vboxguest" service?

Reply #2
I'll need to reinstall it. I decided to use the guest additions CD and while I have a vboxguest module loaded now, the installer bemoaned missing systemd. Screw systemd. I need to remove this first.
-The Great Sephiroth

Reply #3
I removed the one from the VBox CD and before I reinstalled I see the issue. Every VBox package in Artix is 6.1.34, EXCEPT the guest module, which is 6.1.22. Is there a reason for this?
-The Great Sephiroth

Reply #4
i don't know why that is but there appear to be options
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #5
So which do I need to have an Artix guest? I am unclear on it.
-The Great Sephiroth

Reply #6
guest utils w/o dkms with the version number seems likely
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #7
the dkms module is version 6.1.22-1,  the virtualbox-guest-iso is 6.1.34-1, and as the dkms is for the lts kernel, it not a surprise its an earlier version, same as the kernel is too.  I run vb no issues (with guest stuff), not lts kernel, and no dkms install but virtualbox-guest-iso instead.  You using the lts kernel?  That might have no bearing on this but just thought i'd chip in just in case.

Reply #8
OK, I did not realize that the virtualbox-guest-dkms module was for LTS. Nothing indicated that to me. I guess I need the guest utilities without X (nox) in my case then. I tried that once though, and do not believe I got a kernel module for VBox.

I do not need the ISO. The ISO is for hosts to share with their guests. My Artix box IS a guest.
-The Great Sephiroth

Reply #9
I installed the guest utilities without X support and all seems to be fine. Thanks for the help!
-The Great Sephiroth