Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Shell resolution? (Read 1002 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Shell resolution?

I setup a Virtualbox VM for Artix for the sole purpose of learning nftables. The box is shell only, but the resolution is small. I have tried using GRUB to set higher resolutions to no avail. How do I set my TTY to a higher resolution?
-The Great Sephiroth

Re: Shell resolution?

Reply #2
Since Artix is the guest on this laptop, I did indeed install the VirtualBox DKMS guest package. The rest are for hosts unless I am mistaken.

I am not interested in fbset as that is for a framebuffer console. I saw it yesterday while looking for a solution. My issue may be a lack of knowledge in how GRUB works as well. I set the resolution in /etc/default/grub and ran update-grub, but the resolution does not change. I have had GRUB use 1080p on other systems without me needing to force it, so something is up here, but I am not sure what. Maybe we should start with getting GRUB into 720p? How can I do that?
-The Great Sephiroth

Reply #3
OK, I figured it out. I was doing it right but for whatever reason, VBox only allows GRUB to use square (4:3 or 5:4) resolutions. I'll deal with that on my own. Using 1280x1024, 1024x768, 800x600, and even 640x480 works fine. Using 1024x768 right now. Thanks for the help!
-The Great Sephiroth

Reply #5
The Oracle extension allows you to adjust res from the VirtualBox instance menu
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #6
also what about xrandr?
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #7
Since Artix is the guest on this laptop, I did indeed install the VirtualBox DKMS guest package. The rest are for hosts unless I am mistaken.

I am not interested in fbset as that is for a framebuffer console. I saw it yesterday while looking for a solution. My issue may be a lack of knowledge in how GRUB works as well. I set the resolution in /etc/default/grub and ran update-grub, but the resolution does not change. I have had GRUB use 1080p on other systems without me needing to force it, so something is up here, but I am not sure what. Maybe we should start with getting GRUB into 720p? How can I do that?

>>I am not interested in fbset as that is for a framebuffer console.

Ok, how does that not solve your issue?

That's for Xorg not TTYs.

Reply #8
Xorg can be run in a shell
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #10
If only you were as motivated to actually respond to the op and their needs.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #11
If only you were as motivated to actually respond to the op and their needs.

I would, but there is also something I wouldn't do that you do: giving out useless information

OP asked for TTYs, not Xorg.

Reply #12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNYWi1IPPl8

no comment.
"Wer alles kann, macht nichts richtig"

Artix USE="runit openrc slim openbox lxde gtk2 qt4 qt5 qt6 conky
-gtk3 -gtk4 -adwaita{cursors,themes,icons} -gnome3 -kde -plasma -wayland "

Reply #13
How about using ssh through host machine to guest
Create problems which don't have solution

Reply #14
The solution was to set the VM to allow any resolution. That enabled widescreen. I then set GRUB2 to 1280x720x32 and all is good. GRUB2 and the OS itself now run in 720p60. I could not use xrandr because this is a shell only install as stated before. I was not interested in fbset because I am not using a plain framebuffer console.

The command to enable any resolution instead of square ones (1600x1200 is a square one, BTW) is:
Code: [Select]
VBoxManage setextradata Global GUI/MaxGuestResolution any
To have the VM report support for your preferred resolution you can do this:
Code: [Select]
VBoxManage setextradata "Your VM Name" CustomVideoMode1 "1280x720x32"
It's as simple as that. It was never an Arch issue, it was VBox!
-The Great Sephiroth