Skip to main content
Topic: Failed to connect to CDEmu daemon (Read 1213 times) previous topic - next topic

Failed to connect to CDEmu daemon

I am trying to install and use the virtual cd program CDEmu, I have installed cdemu-daemon, cdemu-client and vhba-module. When I try to run the command "cdemu load 0 image.iso" I get this error
Code: [Select]
ERROR: Failed to connect to CDEmu daemon: g-io-error-quark: Error calling StartServiceByName for net.sf.cdemu.CDEmuDaemon: Timeout was reached (24)
The solution to this would be to link the service to the runnit services so that it runs on startup or try to start it manually using sv but when I run the command "sv cdemu-daemon status" I get the error
Code: [Select]
fail: status: unable to change to service directory: file does not exist
Any help would be appreciated on how I would be able to get package cdemu-daemon into /etc/runnit/sv/* since it is in /run/runnit/service but its not a folder but a program which is a bit confusing

Re: Failed to connect to CDEmu daemon

Reply #1
https://serverfault.com/questions/400158/runit-created-first-service-directory-sv-start-testrun-does-not-work

is that relevant to your issue?

i googled the second error you posted.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fail%3A+status%3A+unable+to+change+to+service+directory%3A+file+does+not+exist&oq=fail%3A+status%3A+unable+to+change+to+service+directory%3A+file+does+not+exist&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.6843978j0j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

depending on your goals, mate dektop has a buil in iso mounter on the system tools menu
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #2
I'm really confused, the guy in the post has a folder already with his testrun with a folder "run", I don't really have that for cdemu-daemon I just have the program in the /run/runnit/service, even though I do this and link a folder I don't have the contents for it to work so I'm not really sure what to do from there

Reply #3
As i understand it he created a symlink so that the /service directory would be linked to the working direct for the service file, assuming you have one.

BUT if that's confusing to you after having read it then wait.  I think this is the right solution as i understand it but if it confuses you then wait.  I have never used runnit and that post is from 2012 and was last updated 3 1/2 years ago.  Runnit could have changed a lot since then and i am not familiar enough with runnit to guide you better.

Are you using mate desktop at all by chance?
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #4
I'm using cinamon desktop at the moment, would switching to mate be better

Reply #5
I'm using cinamon desktop at the moment, would switching to mate be better

mate has an iso mounter built into it.  not  cdemu though.  Might be useful or perhaps not.  Don't know your goals with cdemu.

I saw this just now  https://github.com/basinilya/cdemu-autostart if it is your goal to automount cd iso on reboot.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #6
so you just want to mount an iso image. even if you want that executed on boot it would be very easy with a cronjob

@reboot root mount -o loop /path/to/iso/file /path/to/mount/directory

that's all you need really