Skip to main content
Topic: [solved] coil whine w/ GUI install, no whine with bash install (Read 694 times) previous topic - next topic

[solved] coil whine w/ GUI install, no whine with bash install

I installed both kde-plasma-runit-community.iso and base.runit.iso. While opening applications like the web browser for example my motherboard ( a component somewhere) makes a weird whining/electrical sound. ( sound example below). This problem occurs only with the GUI install and doesn't happen with the manual install using the base version. I installed xde plasma and sddm manually with the base version as opposed to the GUI installation.

SOUND example: http://www.sndup.net/p922
https://ufile.io/gmqigrna 2nd mirror
microphone is pointed directly at my motherboard

this is most of the lines i ran while installing the base version in bash if its relevant. And also i'm willing to do diagnostic testing to pinpoint why this is happening. My best guess is it has something to do with the kernel or firmware? I'm currently on the GUI installation for the time being so i could try any suggestions until i switch over to the base install again. Also does anyone know how i can get the same login theme/default artix-dark theme and settings the GUI install version uses? ( would be nice just to copy and paste simple pacman commands since i basically already exhausted all the documentation lol although im wiling to hunt for it if you make me.)
Code: [Select]
basestrap /mnt base base-devel runit elogind-runit linux linux-firmware

mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 /mnt

mkdir /mnt/home
mkdir /mnt/boot

mount ...

fstabgen -U /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab
artix-chroot /mnt
bash
nano /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo

ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo /etc/localtime

ls -l /etc/localtime

hwsclock --systohc

nano /etc/locale.gen
locale-gen

nano /etc/locale.conf

pacman -S networkmanager networkmanager-runit

ln -s /etc/runit/sv/NetworkManager /run/runit/service

ln -s /etc/runit/sv/NetworkManager/ /etc/runit/runsvdir/current

/etc/hostname/
/etc/hosts/

127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost
127.0.0.1 desktop.localdomain desktop

pacman -S grub efibootmgr
grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id=GRUB

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Re: coil whine w/ GUI install, no whine with bash install

Reply #1
IDK how this "coil whining" sounds like, but I suppose it has nothing to do with cpu governors. This should be related to Plasma settings, I mean, those system sounds or something alike.

Reply #2
IDK how this "coil whining" sounds like, but I suppose it has nothing to do with cpu governors. This should be related to Plasma settings, I mean, those system sounds or something alike.

The sound is physically coming from inside my computer on my motherboard. I haven't pinpointed the precise location but its coming from there. At first i thought my computer became demonically posessed lol or is trying to subliminaly speak to me ( joking). Although im pretty sure a computer engineer could possibly code a message using tones that can be deciphered somehow.

edit: added example sound above

intel i5
1060 ti
16 gig ddr

Reply #3
If it were my computer i'd being cracking the case open and cleaning out the dust before doing anything else.  is this a pc or a laptop?  ok so a pc.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #4
If it were my computer i'd being cracking the case open and cleaning out the dust before doing anything else.  is this a pc or a laptop?  ok so a pc.

Doesnt appear to be a mechanical/hardware issue as the whine sound only occurs under certain OS's. Windows 11 works fine, manual artix base install works fine...the XDE plasma GUI install causes the sound problem. I havent done an indepth analysis of the default applications/services compared to the base yet as well.

Reply #5
Doesnt appear to be a mechanical/hardware issue as the whine sound only occurs under certain OS's. Windows 11 works fine, manual artix base install works fine...the XDE plasma GUI install causes the sound problem. I havent done an indepth analysis of the default applications/services compared to the base yet as well.

things that whine.  capacitors that are stressed, fans.  anything else?  I'd start looking at fans and dust and hope that's the issue.  other issues are likely to be expensive to repair.  your pc.  do you.

since it's not a laptop we don't have to worry about a microphone noise cancelling issue?  right?
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #6
I remember having coil whine on a system I had years ago. It's irritating.
But if you don't have it on the base install then just use the base install ? Which you can turn into anything you want.

Reply #7
def would be interesting to know if a gtk de causes the whine also or unique to kde
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #8
If you can take off a cover and gain access and still power it up, then you can use a length of plastic or rubber pipe (like e.g. fuel line) as a sort of stethoscope to track down the exact source, stick one end in your ear and probe about with the other. In a desktop the mains voltage will be inside the PSU in another metal case, so it is fairly safe for you, but still be careful not to touch anything with your fingers, mostly to protect the electronics. Possibly wear rubber gloves too. I had strange noises from a microwave oven once, which did have exposed mains inside incidentally. Anyway I traced it to a piezo buzzer, it could be dismantled after being unsoldered, it had some wires and elements sandwiched together that had got some corrosion on and that was causing it. The design meant it had a permanent DC supply then was given some AC stimulus to make it buzz properly iirc.

Reply #9
def would be interesting to know if a gtk de causes the whine also or unique to kde

Im thinking the whine may be unique to a gtk de as well. Im using a base install with cinnamon with most of artix styles except for fonts and whatnot..and no whine! wopoot. Alright thread solved.

Reply #10
If you can take off a cover and gain access and still power it up, then you can use a length of plastic or rubber pipe (like e.g. fuel line) as a sort of stethoscope to track down the exact source, stick one end in your ear and probe about with the other. In a desktop the mains voltage will be inside the PSU in another metal case, so it is fairly safe for you, but still be careful not to touch anything with your fingers, mostly to protect the electronics. Possibly wear rubber gloves too. I had strange noises from a microwave oven once, which did have exposed mains inside incidentally. Anyway I traced it to a piezo buzzer, it could be dismantled after being unsoldered, it had some wires and elements sandwiched together that had got some corrosion on and that was causing it. The design meant it had a permanent DC supply then was given some AC stimulus to make it buzz properly iirc.

touche