Skip to main content
Topic: Installation issues with the 8/8/2017 image lxqt (Read 9468 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Installation issues with the 8/8/2017 image lxqt

Reply #30
I tested the installer with audio, without audio, with cups, without cups, without KDE apps, etc... etc... In every situations libpulse is requested and the system crash, always, due to the dependency problem, not the machineid.
What I meant is do the base install (without selecting any other packages or such) 
If I can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Reply #31
Done and the error is always there....

Reply #32
 Good to all, I do not know if this is the right place but, I take advantage of not opening another topic. I already made more than one attempt to install, Plasma-desktop and could not install via Calamares appeared an error. So I decided to install Lxqt and install everything fine, I made the minimal installation of Plasma and when I choose the desktop does not start and it comes back again to the sddm. In the installation I installed the Intel and Nouveau drivers. Thank you in advance.

Reply #33
What I meant is do the base install (without selecting any other packages or such)
I retry, another time, with a more minimal installation: nothing, the error is always present and its very annoying that nobody is answering and taking care of a similar situation.
As I see, I'm not the only one having this problem and the impression is that this situation is not a good advertising for a new distribution.

Reply #34
Question: but the Artix developer team, read this forum or it is used only to "satisfy" the end user? If not I'd like to know how to report the error and to receive an answer. Do you agree with me that this kind of interaction is mandatory and not only for a new environment?
If I'm not wrong this problem is up and running from more than 2 weeks (I got it when I was busy to migrate the Manjaro/Openrc to Antergos) and you teach me that 2 weeks, for a bug of the installation program, is really a long time.
The team does read this forum and does its best to "satisfy" the end user. However, you must take into consideration a few things:

1. All of the dev team do this in their limited free time. We all have got our daily jobs which bring bread to our families.
2. We are few and can neither answer every post on the forum nor troubleshoot every single problem.
3. This distribution is less than 2 months old and is bound to have bugs. We never gave any warranties of any sort about being bug-free.
4. We are an Arch-derivative distro. This means that our audience is supposed to be more knowledgeable and competent than the average linux user. A certain expertise with the command line is assumed; if the graphical installer fails you should/must know how to use the CLI. Or at least RTFM and follow instructions. Calamares is buggy, but is the only one we've got at the moment - make do with whatever is provided. If all else fails, you can install vanilla arch (or manjaro, but not recommended) and migrate as per https://artixlinux.org/migrate.php - hell, you can migrate from every pacman-based distro to Artix if you put our repos above theirs and follow the guide!
5. Our next ISOs will be far better!  8)

Reply #35
what does this mean?

Boost.Python error in job "machineid".
<class 'subprocess.CalledProcessError'>
Command 'dbus-uuidgen --ensure' returned non-zero exit status 127.
Traceback:
  File "/usr/lib/calamares/modules/machineid/main.py", line 54, in run
    check_target_env_call(["dbus-uuidgen", "--ensure"])

File "<string>", line 2, in <module>

bingo - that was my error on Calamares

Reply #36
Have you tried anything else but etcher I did my install with imagewriter also try formatting off-line with a live  cd.
Then again you know me I could rename a bucket of poo as a ISO and it would install, the only problem buckets of poo are always systemd :D

In my experience, the likihood of coruption in the image is minimal.  I used to burn images by the thousands to dvds for distribution.

Reply #37
Is there a CLI?

Reply #38

I'm more than sure that the new ISO will be far better and this is why I'm yet here, after two months, to stress you :)

Reply #39
what is the command for installing grub.  grub-install

Reply #40
Actually their might be its called base install ISO fired it up but did not use it. The i3 ISO is newer and installed flawless the other day  its just a later installer does the same as the earlier just a newer build

Reply #42
I am aware that this is a very young distribution and so far, I'm very relaxed and  looking forward for the next iso.  The main reason for my post of the installation issues is, that I wanted to know, if I made mistakes.
I do not have the expectation to get an error-free system immediately.  8)

Reply #43
Maybe some people should be interested in following
When i tryed to install artix with base ISO on btrfs subvolume, it coudn't mount btrfs with error "wrong fs type". The solution for me was to use arch install scripts (for example, from arch bootstrap iso) with artix pacman.conf and mirrors. In this case you just need to follow arch wiki page on installation from existing linux and add some commands from artix migration manual (like populate artix keyring and add openrc services)
ARMtix

Reply #44
I got it to work yesterday I used
Code: [Select]
sudo -E calamares -d
had to run the command several times as the installer was not called or if called segfaulted but eventually it worked.
-E preserves your env. and -d is debug so you can see what calamares is doing.