Skip to main content
Topic: Booting via grub: ERROR:sparse file not allowed on hardened-kernel (Read 1179 times) previous topic - next topic

Booting via grub: ERROR:sparse file not allowed on hardened-kernel

Hello.  I dont know where to put this thread.

My problem on grub boot:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Booting "Artix Linux"

error: sparse file not allowed.
Loading Linux linux-hardened ...
452: out of range pointer: 0x0ec03020

Aborted. Press any key to exit.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Kernel in use:
5.19.14-hardened1-1-hardened

I artix-chroot /mnt and sudo grub-install and sudo grub-update (both work and fix the boot issue) the update outputs on one of the last lines: ERROR: mkdir /var/lock/dmraid

otherwise IAM fine.
Except its the 3rd day I have to chroot and update grub...
I think it comes back after pacman updates
this original

Re: Booting via grub: ERROR:sparse file not allowed on hardened-kernel

Reply #1
If you have grub set to remember your last choice of kernel from the boot menu it does that by writing a sparse file in /boot. Grub can't write a  sparse file on BTRFS so it doesn't work. (Although BTRFS itself does support sparse files.) Either make sure /boot is on a partition formatted to something like an ext family fs, or turn off that option (GRUB_DEFAULT=saved) in /etc/default/grub although you can still put a default number in there, it's only the "saved" bit that results in the sparse file.

Reply #2

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I made a research before this thread. Results suggested the same like you to check the GRUB_DEFAULT wich was always set to 0. I also dont use btrfs
this original

Reply #3
It is still happening. GRUB_DEFAULT was always set to 0... yesterday I changed it to 1 and its still the same.
this original

Reply #4
Still happening, every ideas is welcomed
this original

Reply #5
Still happening, every ideas is welcomed
  • 5.19.16.hardened1-1 is the latest version in world. Are you updated to that ?
  • Does it happen with the standard linux kernel ?
  • I use rEFInd instead of grub as I think it's superior. Maybe try that instead. You can start with rEFInd on a USB or CD before actually installing it.

Those would be my ideas.

Reply #6
hi, yes I update regualry. I dont use the standard kernel. Yes grub alternative sounds amazing, since the last bug happened and I also changed to Timeout=0 so I didnt even used it lately after the bug... Sparse didnt came back up but just because I manually grup-install and grubupdate before shutdown. I am quite sure the sparse:error came up because of updates.

Anyways say goodbye to grub2 .. maybe I will directly boot the kernel :D
this original