Skip to main content
Topic: pacman seems to install nvidia drivers for the wrong kernel (Read 441 times) previous topic - next topic

pacman seems to install nvidia drivers for the wrong kernel

I just completed a new installation of Artix and updated about 700 packages with
Code: [Select]
pacman -Syu
. This installed a 6.x version of the kernel instead of 5.x. I restarted into the new kernel, then did
pacman -Sy nvidia nvidia-settings
, as recommended by the Arch wiki.

Unfortunately, this installed the nvidia kernel modules in something like
/lib/modules/linux-arch-.../extramodules
instead of
/lib/modules/linux-artix-.../extramodules
. Predictably, the kernel didn't load the modules and Xorg couldn't start.

I don't have the exact paths in front of me but I think this gets the point across. Why does the nvidia package install packages for arch and not for artix? The guides are quite adamant about using pacman rather than using the NVIDIA run script to compile/install.

My installation is bone stock, and alos the first time I've used either Artix or Arch. I'm familiar with apt, not pacman. Also to get pacman to update I had to install something like "archlinux-keyring" and run "pacman-key --init" and "pacman-key --refresh". Perhaps it's using the wrong mirrors? But when I did "pacman -Syu" it would spit out lots of signature verification errors until I did that.

Re: pacman seems to install nvidia drivers for the wrong kernel

Reply #1
It seems the latest nvidia package is built to work with `linux 6.0.1`.
alternatively, you can use the `nvidia-open` in the mean time(or just downgrade the kernel if you have the `6.0.1` package)

Reply #2
It seems the latest nvidia package is built to work with `linux 6.0.1`.
alternatively, you can use the `nvidia-open` in the mean time(or just downgrade the kernel if you have the `6.0.1` package)

It may have been 6.0.1.

My question is why is it going into "linux-arch" instead of "linux-artix"? That seems like the reason why it couldn't find it. The version numbers of the kernels matched.

Reply #3
It was compiled against the wrong kernel. It should be fixed now.

Reply #4
Unfortunately I had to have a working system, and compiling the nvidia drivers myself resulted in a black screen and apparently hung system even with "nomodeset", so I ended up installing Arch, even though I hate systemd.

Reply #5
I couldn't stand the feeling of having systemd. Making me feel unclean. So I reinstalled Artix and can confirm it's fixed, thanks