Skip to main content
Topic: [SOLVED] an absurd question ['can i keep obsolete libraries in my new linux?'] (Read 649 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] an absurd question ['can i keep obsolete libraries in my new linux?']

i have an issue with upgarding my system using 'pacman -Syu' & i`m aware of the news on the Arch`s front page telling 'get rid of wxgtk3 now! we push wxwidgets-gtk3 into repos!' ???  BUT i have older version of Audacity (v.2.4.1) that depends on wxgtk3 v.3.0.5.1-3 STRICTLY and i CANNOT TOSS IT AWAY in favour of Audacity v.3! :'(
that`s because i do disagree with Audacity team on matters of 'non-destructive editing' & 'aup3 format' (because it is implemented with obese mySQL). i am a musician-programmer and i am a perfectionist...
i do love my two mid-aged laptops and i`m not going to buy new workstation every year when some one decides to move away from declared conformance to minimalist principles of Unix.
QUESTION: how can i keep older library package in Artix? (going to fork Audacity & to use AppImage for it but ...i need to learn C language yet)

PACMAN:
Code: [Select]
Starting full system upgrade...
warning: audacity: ignoring package upgrade (1:2.4.1-7.1 => 1:3.2.1-2)
warning: flac: ignoring package upgrade (1.3.4-3 => 1.4.1-2)
warning: libopenmpt: ignoring package upgrade (0.6.4-1 => 0.6.6-2)
warning: libsndfile: ignoring package upgrade (1.1.0-2 => 1.1.0-3)
warning: ignoring package replacement (wxgtk-common-3.0.5.1-3 => wxwidgets-common-3.2.1-1)
warning: ignoring package replacement (wxgtk-common-3.0.5.1-3 => wxwidgets-common-3.2.1-1)
warning: ignoring package replacement (wxgtk3-3.0.5.1-3 => wxwidgets-gtk3-3.2.1-1)
warning: ignoring package replacement (wxgtk3-3.0.5.1-3 => wxwidgets-gtk3-3.2.1-1)
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: wxwidgets-gtk3 and wxgtk3 are in conflict. Remove wxgtk3? [y/N] n
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: wxwidgets-gtk3 and wxgtk3 are in conflict
sov-x550cc:[root]:/home/sov-thade-tage#

shean shi eth Ynnwn. Aisha

Re: an absurd question ['can i keep a trio of obsolete libraries in my new linux?']

Reply #1
Your best bet is to remove the audacity package on your machine and try to compile it yourself instead on the version you want.

Re: an absurd question ['can i keep a trio of obsolete libraries in my new linux?']

Reply #2
Would the 2.4.2 version help, if you could track down a copy somewhere, in the Arch or Artix package archives perhaps? Reading here:
https://github.com/audacity/audacity/releases?page=2
"Audacity 2.4.2 is a quick release to upgrade to a newer version of wxWidgets (wx3.1.3, patched by us) before embarking on a longer release cycle. We also fixed over 30 bugs, and added one small new feature, a 'Reset Configuration' menu item."
Also if you do build from source and look into the process, usually there is a configuration option to build a "static libs" version which includes the external libs in the package itself, it makes a bigger binary but it won't give you these problems on upgrades as it becomes more or less a stand alone item, although you will need to satisfy the version deps when you build it.

Reply #3
Have you tried sneedacity:
jp-artix:[jp]:~$ pacman -Si sneedacity
Dépôt                    : universe
Nom                      : sneedacity
Version                  : 3.0.2.r344.1-1
Description              : Audacity fork without any telemetry (bin version)
Architecture             : x86_64
URL                      : https://github.com/Sneeds-Feed-and-Seed/sneedacity

Reply #4
i have an issue with upgarding my system using 'pacman -Syu' & i`m aware of the news on the Arch`s front page telling 'get rid of wxgtk3 now! we push wxwidgets-gtk3 into repos!' ???  BUT i have older version of Audacity (v.2.4.1) that depends on wxgtk3 v.3.0.5.1-3 STRICTLY and i CANNOT TOSS IT AWAY in favour of Audacity v.3! :'(
that`s because i do disagree with Audacity team on matters of 'non-destructive editing' & 'aup3 format' (because it is implemented with obese mySQL). i am a musician-programmer and i am a perfectionist...
i do love my two mid-aged laptops and i`m not going to buy new workstation every year when some one decides to move away from declared conformance to minimalist principles of Unix.
QUESTION: how can i keep older library package in Artix? (going to fork Audacity & to use AppImage for it but ...i need to learn C language yet)

Even if you manage to forbid pacman from upgrading your audacity version, it will cause you problems later down the line since audacity was built against a set of specific library versions and it's going to break once those libraries are upgraded.

Like the others said, the best route is to compile your specific audacity version from source and install it, also definitely look into how you can statically compile it.

Reply #5
thanks for replies!
answering to your considerations

Dudemanguy [Artix Developer]:
'Your best bet is to remove the audacity package on your machine and try to compile it yourself instead on the version you want.'
it is exactly what i was going to do ...but all my experience with compiling from source is that of installing from AUR by now [makepkg -sic --nocheck] ...i shall read the Wikibook 'GNU C Compiler' right now --i am from KTurtle ecosphere so i never compiled my own code yet.

#######:
'Would the 2.4.2 version help, if you could track down a copy somewhere, in the Arch or Artix package archives perhaps?'
oh i was there already [Arch archives] --i have gotten wx{stuff}-3.0.5.1-3 from there after my ver.2 Audacity failed to start while complaining on missing library [then i have installed them from the archive so pacman`s output attached to OP is from moment after that downgrade when i tried to make full system update].
thank you very much --it is a solution for me now! i need some time before getting my hands on Audacity`s source code... i am learning C right now.
and if that would not be a [temporary] remedy then i would try making AppImage of my targeted version of it.

tintin:
'Have you tried sneedacity[?]'
"[...]
Nom                      : sneedacity
Version                  : 3.0.2.r344.1-1"
thank you for your care but as i have written already 'i do disagree with Audacity team on matters of "non-destructive editing" & "aup3 format" (because it is implemented with obese mySQL)'. certainly a telemetry DOES worsen the performance badly ...i continuously record for an hour usually and then i have many overdubs so ...no telemetry allowed.

Lancia:
'Even if you manage to forbid pacman from upgrading your audacity version, it will cause you problems later down the line since audacity was built against a set of specific library versions and it's going to break once those libraries are upgraded.

Like the others said, the best route is to compile your specific audacity version from source and install it, also definitely look into how you can statically compile it.'
oh yes yes --a compiling is exactly what i was going to do & i have forbidden Audacity`s and its specific libraries` updates as you can see here:
warning: audacity: ignoring package upgrade (1:2.4.1-7.1 => 1:3.2.1-2)
warning: flac: ignoring package upgrade (1.3.4-3 => 1.4.1-2)
warning: libopenmpt: ignoring package upgrade (0.6.4-1 => 0.6.6-2)
warning: libsndfile: ignoring package upgrade (1.1.0-2 => 1.1.0-3)
and Audacity is ignored but wx{stuff} is probably needed by something else so i have the problem already
...but all my experience with compiling from source is that of installing from AUR by now and i do not remember how to compile with gcc & all those flags --i have a Wikibook on gcc. so i shall open it right now!

and telling that to all you folks now --i am learning C language particularly for forking Audacity into my own application with a lot of 'idiosyncratic' features and it would be designed for a usage by an instrument player like me --bass or guitar player or a flautist or a drummer etc.
i learn interface design for quiet long time.
and i have my specific requierements to an interface --
i cannot diffirentiate distances [3D-blindness] so i rely on distinctive colors and curvy/diagonal lines.
i.e. i do not see black&white combinations or vertical/horizontal lines.

Re: [SOLVED] an absurd question ['can i keep obsolete libraries in my new linux?']

Reply #7
If you download the source package it should include instructions on how to build and configure it. Also if you look at the PKGBUILD you will see how this is done for the packaged version:
 $ man PKGBUILD
will explain the terms used in there. It looks from that it's built using cmake - most likely you won't need to know much about C or GCC for this, the build system (in this case cmake) will compile and link the source files. It might be worth looking about to try and find an existing forked audacity project that does what you want for your use and to contribute with development. Has there been any discussion with the team at Audacity or some fork about creating a possibility to allow the behavior you want as an optional feature, if this is an important thing for musicians that has been perhaps unintentionally lost, they might want to implement it themselves if they are made aware through bug reports or other means of contact?

Re: [SOLVED] an absurd question ['can i keep obsolete libraries in my new linux?']

Reply #8
>it is exactly what i was going to do ...but all my experience with compiling from source is that of installing from AUR by now [makepkg -sic --nocheck] ...i shall read the Wikibook 'GNU C Compiler' right now --i am from KTurtle ecosphere so i never compiled my own code yet.

You won't need that, audacity has build instructions ( https://github.com/audacity/audacity/blob/master/BUILDING.md#linux--other-os ), use those.

Besides that most software authors stick to the 3 step ./configure; make; make install process for their software and they most definitely have at least a README or INSTALL file telling you things you need to know.

You won't need to jump into a book just to compile from source.

If you download the source package it should include instructions on how to build and configure it. Also if you look at the PKGBUILD you will see how this is done for the packaged version, "$ man PKGBUILD" will explain the terms used in there. It looks from that it's built using cmake - most likely you won't need to know much about C or GCC for this, the build system (in this case cmake) will compile and link the source files. It might be worth looking about to try and find an existing forked audacity project that does what you want for your use and to contribute with development. Has there been any discussion with the team at Audacity or some fork about creating a possibility to allow the behavior you want as an optional feature, if this is an important thing for musicians that has been perhaps unintentionally lost, they might want to implement it themselves if they are made aware through bug reports or other means of contact?

Thanks for replying but one of the issues you have is the "wall of text" making it unnecessary harder to read and understand what you've written.

Try grouping together sentences that have a similar subject and make a paragraph, then write a new paragraph when the subject changes; also leave enough spaces between paragraphs.

Do that and everybody will have a far more pleasent experience of reading your text. To demonstrate using your own text:
If you download the source package it should include instructions on how to build and configure it.

Also if you look at the PKGBUILD you will see how this is done for the packaged version, "$ man PKGBUILD" will explain the terms used in there. It looks from that it's built using cmake - most likely you won't need to know much about C or GCC for this, the build system (in this case cmake) will compile and link the source files.

It might be worth looking about to try and find an existing forked audacity project that does what you want for your use and to contribute with development.

Has there been any discussion with the team at Audacity or some fork about creating a possibility to allow the behavior you want as an optional feature, if this is an important thing for musicians that has been perhaps unintentionally lost, they might want to implement it themselves if they are made aware through bug reports or other means of contact?

Reply #9
I guess you are used to using a large screen, compact is better on smaller ones, I prefer concise points, it makes for less scrolling. And if you want to start nit picking "You won't need that, audacity has build instructions " - aren't you just parroting what I said? But I guess you couldn't read it without the paragraphs? Have you ever read a book? Sorry if you have some genuine visual issue though, I suggest CTRL + to magnify the page or checking your browser  font size settings. I made a point related to a single topic in a single short paragraph, afaik that is the correct usage, a sentence is not usually a paragraph. I will edit in a code block for the man command if you think it worthwhile though, especially for you ... ;D

Reply #10
oh yes about built instructions --i did know that and now diving deeper into Audacity-2-4-2 source (i`ve downloaded from github several monthes ago) i can see that build.txt in /linux subfolder. Audacity is to be built with cmake since 2-4-0.

about AppImage --that is a version-3 Audacity that is greatly diverged from my needs and [sadly] coding aesthethics.

no i cannot ask Audacity team for implementing features i need because as it usually happen with much of community-driven software projects they would need a large enough group of users demanding for a feature implementation --most of their users are happy with SQLite3 and 'non-destructive' editing of version-3.

FUTHERMORE i cannot even imagine a way to implement SQLite3-based file format alonside old XML+_data[folder] format as an optional feature --i would be immediately laughed out by Steve Dalton [an admin] personally.
THE SAME LAUGHS would be expected if asking for 'disable non-destructive' feature. most of modern studio-grade DAWs are made with 'non-destructive' editing only, so...

---
AS OF NOW having busy days i have not compiled it yet [as i said i had had a .tar.gz from github] BUT i am making my OWN REPOSITORY on github dedicated to this particular version of this DAW.

i have long-going plan for forking it into my own 'instrument-player-friendly' DAW [with much of guitar-related functionality like 'support for MIDI-pickups' (Audacity has  no working MIDI for long time) or kinda 'slap-controls' allowing an instrument player to interact with the DAW in more natural way].
i would keep old-school Audacity v2.4.2 intact in its repository for potentially interested users.

i am not a fan of C++ so for my forking project i`m going to translate all of the code to C language.
and i study interface design targeting my 3D-blindness and some common visual impairments so whole interface would be redisigned as well.

Reply #11
Well first sorry to Lancia if I sounded snarky there re-reading that, I was kind of busy. Standards on this forum keep going up, things move on, and there are so many talented people on here offering advice!  ;)

Re Sov Thade Tag em Ereb and audacity, what you propose does sound hugely ambitious, well done if you succeed!

Keeping some old frozen non-updated Artix install in a virtual machine or another partition for offline use would also run the version you require with much less effort though. Alhough this is the Artix forum, in reality there are other distros that will probably be running lts support editions that would do what you want for at least another decade too, by which time you could well have found alternative solutions.

The other thing about discussing it with the Audacity team is if you can explain clearly what you want and what you hope to achieve, they might be able to show you how to do this without the complications you imagine, they have several options for discussion so clearly this is something they encourage.

https://www.audacityteam.org/community/users/