Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Network Manager Broken (Read 4318 times) previous topic - next topic

Network Manager Broken

After yesterdays update openrc can not start Network Manager.
Code: [Select]
rc-status -a
shows " NetworkManager                                                    [  stopped ]"

Re: Network Manager Broken

Reply #1
My quick fix was to downgrade Network manager from the pacman cache to version 1.10.2-1

Reply #2
Hello,
I am using testing/gremlins and NetworkManager 1.10.6-2 works just fine.

If you want real help, please provide some logs and error messages.

Reply #3
Try running NetworkManager from a terminal. Do you get the below message? That's the problem I'm currently having with it.

NetworkManager: error while loading shared libraries: libpsl.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Reply #4
Try running NetworkManager from a terminal. Do you get the below message? That's the problem I'm currently having with it.

NetworkManager: error while loading shared libraries: libpsl.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I had the same problem and I tried this:
[roberto@Artixxx ~]$ ls -la /usr/lib/libpsl.*                 
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    15 14. Mär 14:55 /usr/lib/libpsl.so -> libpsl.so.5.3.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    15 14. Mär 14:55 /usr/lib/libpsl.so.5 -> libpsl.so.5.3.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 63088 14. Mär 14:55 /usr/lib/libpsl.so.5.3.0

From the  user virtual-dev in the German systemdfree.de forum, I got the hint to upgrade the lib, because they are very old.
He said, that the libs are ancient, the new NM needs something new.
At a normal Arch they are already at 6.2.

After I've done the following:
sudo ln -s libpsl.so /usr/lib/libpsl.so.6
a new line was added:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     9 15. Mär 20:06 /usr/lib/libpsl.so.6 -> libpsl.so

After that, I was able to start the NetworkManager with
sudo NetworkManager
Maybe the libs in Artix needs a refresh.

Reply #5
Do you guys have the "gremlins" repo enabled?
Chris Cromer

Reply #6
I also have this problem this morning.  No, Gremlins not activated.  Rebooted this morning after updating and same problem.  Downgraded to networkmanager-1.10.5dev+3+g5159c34ea-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz and it's working again.  I do not have anything in the logs however as to what is causing the updated version to fail.  The only line from rc,log just states that it cannot start.

rc.log: * ERROR: NetworkManager failed to start

Followed by:
rc.log: * ERROR: cannot start netmount as NetworkManager would not start
Host: Predator PH517-61 V1.07
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (16) @ 3.2GHz [112.4°F]
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon RX Vega 56/64
Memory: 1129MiB / 64390MiB

Reply #7
I have gremlins activated but I'm not having issues with network manager

Reply #9
So without gremlins enabled, the latest NetworkManager is 1.10.6-2, which requires libpsl.so.6, but the latest available is libpsl-0.20.1-1, which provides libpsl.so.5. 

To me, that inconsistency is a bug.  The newer NetworkManager should not have been released without the newer libpsl.  Where should such bugs be reported?

Reply #10
Do you guys have the "gremlins" repo enabled?
Doh!  Of course.   It's the old "enable the gremlins repo trick," 99.  EVERYBODY knows the gremlins repo must be enabled anytime a system upgrade goes face down on some package or another.   Or everybody SHOULD know that, right?  I mean, there are only how many possible reasons a package doesn't update correctly, so obviously it must be this one of the many.

I've had problems over the years with other distros along these lines also.  And why I no longer use them.  It is just possible that not everyone seeking relief from cysticd based distros is necessarily a hobbyist and enjoys the ever ongoing buzz of low level technical jargon.   They might have actual work to do, who knows.  It is they I worry about... I have time to inspect and wait for solutions, but not everyone is in this same situation.

Reply #11
Doh!  Of course.  It's the old "enable the gremlins repo trick," 99.  EVERYBODY knows the gremlins repo must be enabled anytime a system upgrade goes face down on some package or another.  Or everybody SHOULD know that, right?  I mean, there are only how many possible reasons a package doesn't update correctly, so obviously it must be this one of the many.

I've had problems over the years with other distros along these lines also.  And why I no longer use them.  It is just possible that not everyone seeking relief from cysticd based distros is necessarily a hobbyist and enjoys the ever ongoing buzz of low level technical jargon.  They might have actual work to do, who knows.  It is they I worry about... I have time to inspect and wait for solutions, but not everyone is in this same situation.
Artix is very new in it's inception and I feel that to expect a "sheer stable" system for doing "actual work" to be already achieved an unrealistic expectation. The "less adventurous " looking for that stability have other options at this time.
Artix is progressing thanks to the efforts of a dedicated few. :)

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #12
It's been pretty stable thus far, and I use it to run my business. Isn't that the aim to attract users by offering a stable system? This seems to be something that could have easily been avoided?

Anyway, a bit embrarassing this morning - showing a mate how good Linux is and no network  ???  ::)

All sorted now with the suggested downgrade so I'm happy again.

Reply #13
I really appreciate Artix and what the team is doing, between some upgrades it works like a charm and it's stable. I don't know any other non systemd distro that works as smooth as Artix.
It's true that upgrades don't go that smoothly but Artix is a new project so let's give it a chance to improve. I think some issues were avoidable and were irritating but we all learn by mistakes.
If Artix want to attract more users it has to improve this and make sure there are not such problems during upgrades especially mistakes that result in networking issues. Because what future distro has if there is no-one using it?
I use Artix on my computers. I don't feel enough confidence to run it on computers of my family members and friends. But I would definitely like to.
Linux user since 1997.
Red Hat -> Mandrake - > Arch - > Slackware -> Manjaro -> Artix / OpenBSD

Reply #14
We are still human, and humans make mistakes.
In the case of libpsl, NM and depending packages, the mistake had some bad consequences.
Please have some patience, its all fixed in the gremlins repo, but I don't want to break the sync with arch more, so NM comes to stable when arch move it.