Skip to main content
Topic: Since install, high CPU usage and PC grinding/chiming sounds (Read 738 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Since install, high CPU usage and PC grinding/chiming sounds

Reply #15
KDE has a long history of not working well with nvidia cards. In your last screenshot, plasmashell is shooting through the roof. You can confirm this bug by booting an other live ISO (e.g. artix-mate) and testing. Also, since 2 weeks our weekly ISOs come with the binary nvidia driver pre-installed and you could test your luck with today's plasma ISO, the one @gripped suggested.

first minute into the weekly plasma iso i  got from the download page. The cpu problem is gone! and my pc does not make chiming noises anymore! Sometimes when accesing a website like this 2-4 cores get to 25% im not sure if this is normal or not but atleast the  2 main problems i had earlier are gone :D thank you for yalls help. I have no idea what the reason is, apperently KDE without nvidia drivers? anyways, have a nice day guys.

Reply #16
KDE has a long history of not working well with nvidia cards. In your last screenshot, plasmashell is shooting through the roof. You can confirm this bug by booting an other live ISO (e.g. artix-mate) and testing. Also, since 2 weeks our weekly ISOs come with the binary nvidia driver pre-installed and you could test your luck with today's plasma ISO, the one @gripped suggested.

oh yeah and another question, new to linux, the firewall is not configured. What am i supposed to do? i thought about installing IPfire, what do you reccomend doing?

Reply #17
oh yeah and another question, new to linux, the firewall is not configured. What am i supposed to do? i thought about installing IPfire, what do you reccomend doing?
I only bother with a firewall on servers that are internet facing. If you are behind a router there should be no need unless you've done something like set up a DMZ. Normally with a router you have to specifically forward ports to your desktop PC so the router is acting as a sort of firewall.

But if you do want a simple easy to set up firewall I recommend ufw (Uncomplicated Firewall)

Reply #18
A nice GUI interface is available from the Arch community "fwbuilder" package.
It is a professional styled firewall GUI interface, you may like it if you prefer something visual and works with several firewalls.