Skip to main content
Topic: Cannot use built-in audio stereo (Read 960 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Cannot use built-in audio stereo

Reply #15
It is good that the USB ports are functional. One can never have enough USB ports it seems.

The connected front panel is not a device. No new hardware will be detected.
The mixer application should already show the controls for anything connected to the front panel connector on the motherboard.
Connect the speakers to the output port on the panel,  double check the mixer settings, ensure the correct device is selected, be sure to unmute everything; hopefully you will have sound.
If the connected speakers still do not function then my conclusion is that the motherboard on-board sound is broken.

An external USB audio device would be an inexpensive audio solution.
A good sound card is another option though most likely at a higher cost. Maybe look for an used one in good condition.
Replacing the motherboard is another but the trick would be to find one that would support your existing CPU and RAM.

Reply #16
The connected front panel has green audio, shouldn't it provide an output device?

Reply #17
I have never ever seen a case's front panel being an audio device.

Does your front panel have an audio chip present?
If not then it is just a convenient IO panel once connected to the motherboard's audio panel pin connector.

Reply #18
How can I check if there is an audio chip? I guess not looks so minimal.
It is pretty cheap and I got it some time ago.

It has 2 cables as I said:
One connected to the "Front Panel Audio Header (HD_AUDIO1)" of the mobo.
And the other to the "USB 2.0 Header (USB_2_3)" for the usb.

Reply #19
I am sorry but I do not see anything that would include an audio chip.
All that I see is ports and their connecting wires on a simple mounting board.
My conclusion is it's not an audio device but just a case front panel.

If you take a look at the audio chip on the motherboard, you will get an idea about how big a printed circuit board would have to be to incorporate the chip and have a working device.
The printed circuit board would be visible unless heat shielded or enclosed.
If it was enclosed with a heat shield or case it would be even larger and noticeable.

For this situation I think looking for either a PCI sound card or USB external audio device.
These can be purchased fairly cheaply.
If budget is really tight look at something used.
One place that one may have overlooked as a good used component source are education (school boards) and government offices.
If timing is right one may even get good free stuff.