Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] syslog-ng on runit shows warning. (Read 1360 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] syslog-ng on runit shows warning.

Hello All.

Today when I ran my usual update, I encountered an error message from syslog-ng after rebooting:

Code: [Select]
syslog-ng: Error setting capabilities, capability management disabled; error='Operation not permitted'
[2023-01-30T18:58:22.176218] WARNING: Configuration file format is too old, syslog-ng is running in compatibility
mode. Please update it to use the syslog-ng 4.0 format at your time of convenience. To upgrade the configuration,
please review the warnings about incompatible changes printed by syslog-ng, and once completed change the @version header at the top of the configuration file; config-version='3.35'
[2023-01-30T18:58:22.184880] Error creating persistent state file; filename='/var/lib/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.persist-', error='Permission denied (13)'

If the maintainer of syslog-ng could please address this issue, it appears this might just be an issue with the headers not being properly configured? Any insights on how to troubleshoot this on my own machine would be appreciated as well, but otherwise I will happily await the issue to be remedied upstream.

Many thanks as always!

Re: syslog-ng on runit shows warning.

Reply #2
Try with '@version: 4.0' at the beginning of the config file

My apologies for even bringing this up then. Since the error nor the man page made no mention of exactly where the syslog-ng.conf file was, I didn't take enough time to think it out before posting to the forums. A simple ddg search and an mlocate was all that was needed to find it and edit it accordingly.

Thank you.

Re: syslog-ng on runit shows warning.

Reply #3
No problems, I hit that problem myself and that's how i fixed it, it is indeed strange how it requires in some cases a manual intervention, i needed it too on openrc on a rather older installation.

Re: [SOLVED] syslog-ng on runit shows warning.

Reply #4
For what do I need syslog-ng?

I "solved" it with "pacman -Rscn syslog-ng" and everything still semse to work.

Reply #5
For what do I need syslog-ng?

I "solved" it with "pacman -Rscn syslog-ng" and everything still semse to work.

From the man pages, you can find a brief description of what syslog-ng does.
man syslog-ng

The application is a flexible and highly scalable system logging application. Typically, syslog-ng
used to manage log messages and implement centralized logging, where the aim is to collect the
messages of several devices on a single, central log server. The different devices - called syslog-
clients - all run syslog-ng, and collect the log messages from the various applications, files,
other sources. The clients send all important log messages to the remote syslog-ng server, where
server sorts and stores them.

Reply #6
From the man pages, you can find a brief description of what syslog-ng does.
man syslog-ng
Sorry, wrong question: Of cause i have read that (and Arch-Wiki), but i don't understand if i need anything of it, or why i should use it.

So my real question is: Do I anything break without it? Or can I savely let it deinstalled?

Like my father, who liked to say "Was man nicht hat, geht nicht kaputt." (what you don't have, doesn't break)

Reply #7
So my real question is: Do I anything break without it? Or can I savely let it deinstalled?

I'm no expert, but from what I've gathered syslog-ng is utilized to log error messages from the kernel, various databases like mariadb, postgresql, and other such services. These log messages could be useful in debugging and from my experience can sometimes be more informative than a simple dmesg.

I can understand that for some,  syslog-ng is superfluous given the multitude of other logging systems already available on your default installation. Personally I like having as much error handling and messages regarding what's going on on my system as possible. I may not always interpret the results correctly and I oftentimes don't take enough time to think about the problem extensively enough before asking for help, but without good logs I wouldn't know where to start.

Reply #8
Be careful with the --cascade -c option to pacman -R. That option can cause damage to your system if you are not careful.
REMOVE OPTIONS (APPLY TO -R)
       -c, --cascade
           Remove all target packages, as well as all packages that depend on one or more target packages. This operation is
           recursive and must be used with care, since it can remove many potentially needed packages.
By removing syslog-ng you lose some logging. If something breaks in the future you may need to to install it again, or one of its alternatives,  to help troubleshoot the issue.

Reply #9
I can understand that for some,  syslog-ng is superfluous given the multitude of other logging systems already available on your default installation.
When I search for it last week, I found that this happens from time to time: The oldest hit was nearly 10 years ago. - So I thing: Why should it annoy me, when I have no use for it?

Btw: This seems to be a good Workaround: syslog-ng

1st he changed the Version-# in "/etc/syslog-ng.conf", then he check it with "syslog-ng --syntax-only".

Be careful with the --cascade -c option to pacman -R. That option can cause damage to your system if you are not careful.
That's why I use it: When there are a lot of other things to remove, I know it's not a good idea to do that.

This time only syslog-ng{,-runit} should be removed, so it seems to be ok. But I was not sure, because I don't understand what it does: Maybe it will become a problem later, or much later, when I don't think on it anymore.

Immediate problems are no problem, because I do a quick Backup *) before probably stupid things. - My real Backups are on external HDDs.

*) With "rsync -vaxH --link-dest=(previous Backup) …", which took around 15-20s between SATA-SSDs: Linux only, /home is on an extra partition.

Reply #10
Try with '@version: 4.0' at the beginning of the config file
What if it happen on live usb? I already fix the config file. But when i reboot, the config file was reset too