Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] wifi not working (Read 1173 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] wifi not working

Hello,

Like many other people after upgrading to linux kernel 6 my wifi has broken. After reading this forum for other threads with similar issues I've decided to rollback to linux-lts kernel... but I still suffer the same issue.

My network manager is connman.

Below some relevant outputs.

Code: [Select]
❯ lspci | grep -E -i --color 'wi-fi'
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX210/AX211/AX411 160MHz (rev 1a)

Host: 20XK002SMH ThinkPad T14 Gen 2a
Kernel: 5.15.90-1-lts

connmanctl> agent on
Agent registered
connmanctl> scan wifi
Error /net/connman/technology/wifi: No carrier

❯ rfkill list
0: tpacpi_bluetooth_sw: Bluetooth
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no
1: nfc0: NFC
2: hci0: Bluetooth
3: phy0: Wireless LAN

Any ideas/help, please?

Re: wifi not working

Reply #1
After you rolled back to lts you've tried this?

# mkinitcpio -P

Also that command might be good after you upgrade cos after a kernel upgrade mkinitcpio if i remember correctly generates new thing only for the kernel not for everything including wireless. But more likely this new upgrade involved not only things regarding the kernel alone but the kernel + wireless changes so the above command might be better.

Kernel has all the time changes around wireless section as it's one of the most vulnerable by far if we look at the high amount of vulns discovered over time around wireless implementation.

Reply #2
Where's the logs, Lebowski?

Reply #3
After you rolled back to lts you've tried this?

# mkinitcpio -P

Also that command might be good after you upgrade cos after a kernel upgrade mkinitcpio if i remember correctly generates new thing only for the kernel not for everything including wireless. But more likely this new upgrade involved not only things regarding the kernel alone but the kernel + wireless changes so the above command might be better.

Kernel has all the time changes around wireless section as it's one of the most vulnerable by far if we look at the high amount of vulns discovered over time around wireless implementation.

Yes, sir. Initramfs was restarted using this command.

What logs do you require?

dmesg showing firmware version being loaded.

[    3.730926] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: loaded firmware version 66.f1c864e0.0 ty-a0-gf-a0-66.ucode op_mode iwlmvm
[    4.258724] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: Detected Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX210 160MHz, REV=0x420
[    4.432385] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: loaded PNVM version 0x64acdc51
[    4.445062] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: Detected RF GF, rfid=0x10d000

openrc log showing wpa_supplicant and connmand being loaded succesfully

* Starting WPA Supplicant Daemon ...
Successfully initialized wpa_supplicant
 [ ok ]
 * Starting connmand ...
 [ ok ]

Reply #4
When I first read this report, I check my wireless as well since I have this "iwlwifi" wireless device on my motherboard.

I was using my custom kernel based on 6.1.8-zen, fired up connmand and everything with connmanctl worked.
The scan wifi finished and services showed the wireless access points.
I then booted to the stock zen kernel. Even though everything looked good as stated it failed to scan the wifi.

Okay let us go back to the working kernel.
I booted back to my original working custom kernel and to my surprise it no longer worked.
Hmm, maybe a cold boot. No still no go. Connmanctl failed again. This kernel worked just a hour ago.
I rebuilt the kernel several times (time suck) trying a few different kernel settings to no avail. Turning it into a how to waste a day affair. Connmanctl still saw nothing.
There where cases in the past where the system's wmi proved to be the module that blocked rfkill unblock even though the state rfkill showed that it was "unblocked". But this was many years ago, surely the wmi code is now in a good working state but maybe a regression has occurred.

Connman seems to out so I tried using the network-manager and applet. The wireless connected straight away and so far has worked with the ZEN and my custom ZEN kernels.  The applet flips the rfkill on the wireless block states as desired. Why I did not try this first, I am not sure.  Network-manager configuration is not a given but so far it has worked for me.

Maybe connman needs to be repackaged, patched or something with it's strange behaviour.

Reply #5
Fine. I found this in archwiki.

I would also try NetworkManager to set up the network.

Reply #6
You can rather try just with iwd, also wpa_supplicant can be controlled directly with wpa_gui, (you can find that in omniverse/aur), maybe connman stopped doing something properly in some cases.

Reply #7
Fine. I found this in archwiki.

I would also try NetworkManager to set up the network.

I've been through this before posting this thread. NetworkManager doesn't work either, I had tried to install the package and remove connmand from rc-service and rc-update, then reboot and try with NetworkManager but still didn't scan successfully.

You can rather try just with iwd, also wpa_supplicant can be controlled directly with wpa_gui, (you can find that in omniverse/aur), maybe connman stopped doing something properly in some cases.

Well, I have an strange behaviour going on here... When I try iwlist, the first scan works but then if I try to re-scan I get the following error (see first results of the scan and the next failed try)

❯ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0     Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
                    Channel:1
                    Frequency:2.412 GHz (Channel 1)
                    Quality=68/70  Signal level=-42 dBm 
                    Encryption key:off
                    ESSID:"XXX"
                    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s
                              18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s
                    Bit Rates:48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s

❯ sudo iwlist wlan0 scan
wlan0     Interface doesn't support scanning : Input/output error

Reply #8
Very strange behaviour is a understatement.

It is a long shot but why not try blacklisting the system's wmi module(s).
Some 4 years ago or so there were cases of the wmi modules causing failures with the wireless even rfkill showed everything was unblocked but in reality was killed by the wmi.

Reply #9
New packaging of zen kernel has appeared in Arch.
extra/linux-zen 6.1.9.zen1-2

Reply #10
Hey,

Sorry for taking so long to come back, I've been 5 weeks out on holidays and been catching up these last days.

Well, I've updated the system to kernel 6.1.20-1-lts and still no fix for this.

❯ uname -a
Linux iddqd 6.1.20-1-lts #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Fri, 17 Mar 2023 17:56:55 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Also, blacklisted the wmi modules without any luck.

edit: Actually the wmi module wasn't fully blacklisted since it depends on other loaded modules which I can't really unload (video, amdgpu, thinkpad_acpi).

Please, any ideas? This weekend I'm off to a location where I can't really use wired connection and I would need the wifi iface up and running again.

Reply #11
Managed to connect for a little while via wpa_cli, but then it disconnected with "reason=3"

<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-STARTED 
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE
<3>SME: Trying to authenticate with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (SSID='jarlcore' freq=5180 MHz)
<3>Trying to associate with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (SSID='jarlcore' freq=5180 MHz)
<3>Associated with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
<3>CTRL-EVENT-SUBNET-STATUS-UPDATE status=0
<3>WPA: Key negotiation completed with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx [PTK=CCMP GTK=CCMP]
<3>CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx completed [id=0 id_str=]
[b]<3>CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx reason=3[/b]
<3>WPS-AP-AVAILABLE
<3>SME: Trying to authenticate with xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (SSID='jarlcore' freq=5180 MHz)
<3>CTRL-EVENT-NETWORK-NOT-FOUND

scan works fine via wpa_cli

Reply #13
All right fellas... I'm puzzled, without any updates or changes on my system wpa_supplicant is working perfectly now.

So, connman still has issues with the wifi iface (still manages my wired connections) and wpa_supplicant manages the wifi now.

I guess this is "resolved", not really IMO since I have 0 clue about what has changed between Friday to today, but ok.