Skip to main content
Topic: sneedacity needs (another) update (Read 597 times) previous topic - next topic

sneedacity needs (another) update

sneedacity 3.0.2.r344.1-2 (from universe) is missing dependencies, at least wxwidgets-common. It also needs to be recompiled against the lastest wxwidgets, since
Code: [Select]
# ldd /usr/bin/sneedacity | grep found                                                                                                                                    
libwx_baseu_xml-3.1.so => not found
# pacman -Qo /usr/lib/libwx_baseu_xml*                                                                                                                                   
/usr/lib/libwx_baseu_xml-3.2.so is owned by wxwidgets-common 3.2.1-2
In this case, even symlinking to the newer .so doesn't work.

Thank you for maintaining sneedacity!

[edit:] Also, if anyone can point me to either some dirty hack to make sneedacity work or to an URL for the older package (I did a stupid, hasty pacman -Sc), that'd be great. I'm kinda stuck, since even audacity is no longer compatible with sneedacity project files...

Re: sneedacity needs (another) update

Reply #1
Okay, so I just read this on the project page:
While Sneedacity on Linux uses vanilla version of wxWidgets, we require that version 3.1.3 is used. This version is not available in most of the distributions.
So I guess the sneedacity package itself needs to be shipped with this version of wxwidgets as part of it?
[edit:] and is just missing libwx_baseu_xml-3.1.so by accident?

Reply #2
I'm having the same issue too.

Reply #3
This is a program I use quite a bit so I decided to see if I could fix it now.

Creating a soft link to the newer library did not work. So I thought I'd try to build it locally.
But AFAICT the build files are nowhere to be found. (Dev's it would be nice if PKGBUILD's etc for packages in universe could be made available somewhere).
It's not even in the AUR so the best I could find was https://github.com/thenexxuz-zz/sneedacity-aur
git clone https://github.com/thenexxuz-zz/sneedacity-aur.git
cd sneedacity-aur
makepkg -si
sneedacity now works.
Of note perhaps is it's built using it's own version of wxwidgets (As you mentioned @lotuskip )
    -Dsneedacity_use_wxwidgets=local \
Out of curiosity I tried building it with the system wxwidgets (as the current version in universe must have been built) but it failed to build.

Reply #4
@gripped this can probably be used for amule and other programs still affected by the wxwidgets changes, i'll give it a try myself when time allows.

Reply #5
Confirmed! Thanks for finding this!

This version has different dependencies from the universe one. In particular no ffmpeg4.4. Haven't really tested anything yet, so can't say about lacking functionality. Also curious how it has clang as a makedep...

Reply #6
This version has different dependencies from the universe one. In particular no ffmpeg4.4. Haven't really tested anything yet, so can't say about lacking functionality.
I must admit all I tested was loading, and playing, both a flac and an mp3 and (most importantly for me) that the spectrals were there. I just now tested converting from flac -> mp3 and that worked. I mainly use it for the spectrals.

I only checked the PKGBUILD and patch to check they weren't doing anything bad.
Now I look closer I think there's a bug ?
build() {
  mkdir sneedacity/build
  cd sneedacity/build
  CC=clang cmake \
    -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release \
    -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr \
    -DwxBUILD_TOOLKIT:STRING=gtk3 \
    -Dsneedacity_use_wxwidgets=local \
    sneedacity_use_ffmpeg:STRING=loaded \
  cmake --build .
  make .
}
Surely sneedacity_use_ffmpeg:STRING=loaded \ should be -Dsneedacity_use_ffmpeg:STRING=loaded
and no backslash as the last line ?
But loaded is the default for that option anyway.
I think as it stands the user might have to download and set the ffmpeg from the sneedacity preferences ? Or else lose some functionality ?

Anyway it's hopefully a stopgap until the Artix version is fixed.

Reply #7
Is there any plans to fix the package? each time sneedacity updates I have to do the fix which gripped provided earlier.

Reply #8
I only occasionally use this package, so I don't consistently catch these problems. I'll issue a rebuild in [universe] with the provided github PKGBUILD soonest. In the future, please report issues directly to me (by email of by PM through the forum) as I may miss such threads.