Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Repositories (Read 1666 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Repositories

when i try to install "yay" using "sudo pacman -S yay", it says that it isn't found, and when i search yay with "yay yay", it shows that it is in "aur" and not in community.

i just instaleld Manjaro, and I could install yay with "sudo pacman -S yay", and with "yay yay" i find that it is in "community".

i don't fully understand why this difference, and i'm kinda annoyed with how Artix manages the package manager, which you can't even use correctly in a fresh install (etc.). but I guess there's a reason behind this differences.

I don't know how to read about this, because i don't know why it happens. and no, the wiki won't explain this correctly.

TL;DR: why is yay and some other packages in different repositories in Artix (in comparasion to Manjaro)?

Re: Repositories

Reply #1
AUR helpers must be manually download, build and installed unless you have another AUR already installed.
Something like this will make so you can install "yay".
Code: [Select]
$ wget https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/snapshot/yay.tar.gz
$ bsdtar -xf yay.tar.gz
$ cd yay
$ vim PKGBUILD
$ makepkg -i
One should always check out the PKGBUILD in AUR to verify that it does contact anything destructive or a serious error.
That is why I included the checking the PKGBUILD.
Be sure to check the files when "yay" prompts you.
It is a good idea since you do not know the skill level of the creator nor if something malicious exists.
Once upon a time there was an AUR package that was malicious.
It was taken down fairly quickly but it was up for several days.

Reply #2
AUR helpers must be manually download, build and installed unless you have another AUR already installed.
Something like this will make so you can install "yay".
Code: [Select]
$ wget https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/snapshot/yay.tar.gz
$ bsdtar -xf yay.tar.gz
$ cd yay
$ vim PKGBUILD
$ makepkg -i
One should always check out the PKGBUILD in AUR to verify that it does contact anything destructive or a serious error.
That is why I included the checking the PKGBUILD.
Be sure to check the files when "yay" prompts you.
It is a good idea since you do not know the skill level of the creator nor if something malicious exists.
Once upon a time there was an AUR package that was malicious.
It was taken down fairly quickly but it was up for several days.

I already know the information you give me. What I am asking is why Manjaro's "yay" package is in "community" and why it isn't in ("community" in) Artix. This not only happens for "yay", but for more packages.

Reply #3
Well excuse me.

Reply #6
and just for a bit more clarity Dark7void, yay isn't in Arch's community repo either, so anybody installing sysd Arch would have exactly the same thing, which isn't actually a problem.   In reality, its just that Manjaro for whatever reason put some AUR packages in their community repo., along with pamac and other stuff, and their community repo is not to be confused with Arch's.  Best not to install pamac on artix, or anything non-manjaro, or even manjaro really,...never understood why  they stopped using octopi by default.

You might find this link of use:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages

Reply #7
Yay cannot be in the community repo in Artix. This is because the community repo is the actual Arch Linux repo which Artix has no control over as it is a part of Arch Linux. If you look in /etc/pacman.conf you will see what repos are Arch Linux ones. Arch Linux has a strict policy of not providing AUR helpers as binary packages, on the principle that if you cannot install at least the AUR helper from the AUR then you are not knowledgeable enough to use it wisely, and they cannot be bothered supporting those who would encounter difficulties as a result. Manjaro aims to provide a more beginner friendly distro, it is one of the things that sets it apart and justifies it's existence as a separate entity. As they use older versions of packages, they have their own examples of the main Arch repos.  Some within Artix have decided to provide a binary Yay in a repo though, and you can also find it in Arch in the chaotic-aur unofficial repository. These situations have evolved over time for various reasons, building on what was there before.

Reply #8
That information itself lacks of any help to me.
I will, I'm leaving Artix today. Even this forum is bad designed,, given that I can't even ctrl+z, or quote without all my content being deleted.
In reality, its just that Manjaro for whatever reason put some AUR packages in their community repo
Well, that is odd, but clarifies my doubt. I would say "yay" is a good software for anyone, and you don't have to have any "knowledge", since what it only use is to transform "sudo pacman -Q" into "yay". The fact that you will install AUR software that may be malware, is just your responsability as using a computer.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation, my doubt has been solved, and thus, the thread been dissolved.
(edit: moved this paragraph from the top one to here)

Re: [SOLVED] Repositories

Reply #9
Sorry Artix was not more to your liking but each to their own, it's why so many distros exist! And apologies if my response caused any offense, I was trying to remain merely factual. In fact Yay used to be available in the Artix repos but has been dropped. Checking, there are still some AUR helpers in the Artix repos : Trizen, Pamac and Yaourtix. So if you really didn't want to install the yay or even yay-bin packages from the AUR, then you could install one of those with Pacman and then use that to install Yay.
yay-bin in the AUR is precompiled so you don't even have to wait while downloading Google Go:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/yay-bin
And there is nothing to stop you enabling 3rd party repos as mentioned in the Artix wiki, so you could get it from places like the chaotic-aur repo too.
As Artix is non-systemd there are a lot of AUR packages with systemd dependencies, so say you installed some system-critical git version of a package thinking you would try a newer version without making the required alterations you could easily end up with an unbootable system, there are more potential hazards here than in Manjaro.