Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Updating linux kernel (Read 236 times) previous topic - next topic

Updating linux kernel

I recently switched from Arch to Artix. I installed Artix with encryption on UEFI. By default my efi partition is not mounted when system is booting.
Code: [Select]
lsblk 
NAME       MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINTS
sda          8:0    0 223.6G  0 disk 
├─sda1       8:1    0   512M  0 part 
└─sda2       8:2    0 223.1G  0 part 
  └─crypta 254:0    0 223.1G  0 crypt /
After upgrading linux kernel to 6.2 and rebooting my internet stopped working. After a day or two reading Arch forums I figured out that my PC was still booting with kernel 6.1.12 (you can see it if you login in tty) or run
uname -r
While researching the problem I tried to manually load the kernel modules for my network, but I got error that no module was found. I dig deeper and found out that the path to modules has changed to the new kernel version
/lib/modules/6.2.2-artix1-1
The previous week I had problems updating grub configuration. I changed grub config many times but I didn't saw any changes. I realized that grub can't read config file from encrypted partition and that the config file should be on the partition without encryption, so  I mounted efi partition
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /boot
then I upgraded grub again and everything worked as expected. Now I realized that upgrading kernel also changes some files on efi partition and today I finally successfully upgraded linux kernel. From my short research I found that you can add any partition to /etc/fstab file and it will mount automatically.
I wonder what other packages might break while upgrading without mounted efi partition. Did you had any similar problems?