Skip to main content
Topic: Policy on Repositories Dependancies and Following Arch or Completely New Package (Read 351 times) previous topic - next topic

Policy on Repositories Dependancies and Following Arch or Completely New Package

Hi,
I cross post it from my another post. This will make people angry. But some explanation is due.

As of 27.03.2023 LibreOffice Fresh is still broken it "starts" (doesn't start) like this: see attached screenshot.

If Artix has newer packages and doesn't follow Arch (here: libokulus ver. 0.18 vs Arch's 0.17) then all packages that depend on it should be compiled with the version in Artix repository. Mix and don't-match is not a solution. It breaks things. Either Artix follows Arch versioning or recompiles all new things that is has newer/other than Arch. I don't understand this policy.

Is this done on purpose? Should I go now and buy four licenses?:
MS Windows 11
MS Office
Adobe Acrobat PDF Maker for Word
Acrobat Distiller (Windows)

Is this the exact intent? Someone here works for Microsoft? Why not follow Arch versioning to have working dependencies and major packages that are in the main repo of every distro? Either we follow package versioning or we have newer version and packages that depend on them also compiled with those versions. Yet another unofficial repo for main packages with its own version, compilations and dependancies that will further break things is a total no-go. Someone tryes to sell me those four licenses mentioned above? What is goin on?

Interestingly mupdf is also compiled without UTF-8 support, which isn't  the default. The default is with UTF-8 support (I did compile i from sources t on two other distros: One Debian 11 and second Debian 11 very close derivative (official Debian repos)- does not happen there). So should I take out now my credit card out and pay those four licenses. Is this the intent?

Re: Policy on Repositories Dependancies and Following Arch or Completely New Package

Reply #1
Ad for Libreoffice, it is not broken; many users confirmed it works.
There indeed is an issue - hence the exception - with liborcus, but that currently is not used by Libreoffice, which is the only package that depends on it.

What error do you get when you start LO from the terminal? That might help clarifying the issue you have.

artist

Re: Policy on Repositories Dependancies and Following Arch or Completely New Package

Reply #2
1. Please fix pacman.conf NOT TO HAVE SPACES after IgnorePkg = xxx. This will NOT WORK. No spaces between IgnorePkg and "=" and between "=" and a package.

This is what I did. I downloaded (statically linked in LO) 0.17.x from Arch archive and also added --ignore to my alias. BUT THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION. Debian will have liborcus-auto and has a warning on Debian pages. Its a static release. And since Arch LO package is staticaly linked to 0.17.x, its Aritx fault to have different liborcus (Arch has 0.17.x so it works with its statically linked LO version). Artix has Arch LO which is statically linked to 0.17.x but decided to break major package with different version of liborcus which is useless as standalone and is used by LO. Why? For what reason? Money from Microsoft? Is this the reason? Just like ISO guys?

Windows users (even using chocolatey!) never experience it. Neither Arch itself nor Debian Sid (will have liborcus-auto !), nor Gentoo, nor Fedora nor any other distro. So why include newer ver. of a package and NOT REBUILD others that depend on it? Why? Money from Microsoft? Is this the case? New reality? Arch did NOT break the major office application. It was Artix. You did it by deciding to upgrade to a package newer than Arch, which is incompatible with the rest of the software. For what reason? Money from Microsoft? And then what? Default usage (like some distro, like. Manjaro...) of an Office Suite that saves by default in MS formats (will you call it "the de facto standard" ?) Or maybe systemd now too! Why not! And did you know that you can make "MS Browser" the default on Linux too? They have a package!

Reply #3
Arch also incorrectly had liborcus 0.18. They simply 'deleted' it later.

artist

Reply #4
Thanks.
Had to check the date but it's not 01.04.23 yet.
Please fix pacman.conf NOT TO HAVE SPACES after IgnorePkg = xxx. This will NOT WORK. No spaces between IgnorePkg and "=" and between "=" and a package.
Works with spaces here ?

For what it's worth libreoffice-fresh works fine for me. And I've been lucky I guess as it never stopped working.

Reply #5
For what reason? Money from Microsoft? And then what? Default usage (like some distro, like. Manjaro...) of an Office Suite that saves by default in MS formats (will you call it "the de facto standard" ?) Or maybe systemd now too! Why not! And did you know that you can make "MS Browser" the default on Linux too? They have a package!
Dude, you need to slow down a bit.

Reply #6

Thanks for the talk.
"Wer alles kann, macht nichts richtig"

Artix USE="runit openrc slim openbox lxde gtk2 qt4 qt5 qt6 conky
-gtk3 -gtk4 -adwaita{cursors,themes,icons} -gnome3 -kde -plasma -wayland "