Skip to main content
Topic: lib32-libelf libelf error (Read 436 times) previous topic - next topic

lib32-libelf libelf error

This is a new install of the XFCE iso.

When attempting to pacman -Su, getting the error as seen by others about libelf breaks dependency of lib32-libelf.

My particular question is why did lib32 packages get installed in the 1st place?  This is an X86_64 install.  None of my other Artix X86_64 installs have these lib32 bit packages installed. 

This latest install has several lib32 packages; from lib32-brotli..... down to lib32-zstd.

Can I remove these 32 bit packages and move on with my install?

Re: lib32-libelf libelf error

Reply #1
Can I remove these 32 bit packages and move on with my install?
You can try it and see. So long as you don't use any options to ignore dependencies pacman won't let you remove a package another depends on.

Could you link the exact iso please.

Reply #2

artix-xfce-openrc-20230306-x86_64.iso:

Code: [Select]
https://iso.artixlinux.org/iso/artix-xfce-openrc-20230306-x86_64.iso

I removed lib32* without issue.
pacman -Su now works, in the process of upgrading now.

Reply #3

pacman -Su upgrade worked without issue.  Rebooted and all seems well.

Reply #4
Sorted.
If you had problems removing I was tempted to fire up a VM and see why they were there but I'll just let it be.

Reply #5
The lib32 packages are pulled (mainly) due to lib32-vulkan-mesa-layers recently being added to our ISO profiles. I didn't think it thoroughly and at the time it seemed like a nice-to-have, but [lib32] is not enabled on default installations.
The next weekly batch will have them removed and - once tested - will get promoted to stable. Thanks for reporting, @dxrobertson.

Reply #6
Been running new install without lib32* all day, performed several package installs/removes- all stable and ok.