Skip to main content
Topic: Artix XFCE ISO is somehow borked (Read 1091 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Artix XFCE ISO is somehow borked

Reply #16
P.S. My HDD is an external one, connected via SATA.
That's the first thing you should have mentioned. May I guess the filesystem on the disk is ext4 or similar and not exfat or ntfs?

Yes, exactly. With another Artix installation. But it works from that another disk: it mounts the first disk with a newer installation without issues.

Reply #17
Yes, exactly. With another Artix installation. But it works from that another disk: it mounts the first disk with a newer installation without issues.
Then that other Artix installation is somehow configured to automount the first disk. Partitions with "permissioned" filesystems may or may not be mounted automatically, mainly but not exclusively determined by the bus and to a much lesser degree by the filesystem: USB is treated as removable and automounts, SATA as fixed and doesn't, usually. Most distros out there implement udev rules to facilitate mounting, as does Artix. Also, I'm not an expert in these things, so I may be very wrong.

TL;DR: you must compare the configuration files for all involved software (udev, udisks2, ...) and find what differs.

Reply #18
Then that other Artix installation is somehow configured to automount the first disk.

No. I didn't configure anything at all. Just two default installations: an older and a newer one.

Also, XFCE doesn't automount anything by default, even USB drives. Until I click on them. It either mounts it (USB) or prompts for a password via polkit in case of external drives.

TL;DR: you must compare the configuration files for all involved software (udev, udisks2, ...) and find what differs.

I even don't know where to search for these udev, udisks2 files.

Reply #19
Copy /etc/polkit-1/rules.d/99-artix.rules to /usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d and report back. It's either an upstream polkit bug which ignores rule files in etc/polkit-1/rules.d or I don't know what.