Skip to main content
Topic: Prevent /tmp automatic deletion (Read 453 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Prevent /tmp automatic deletion

Reply #1
I'm pretty sure all init systems mount /tmp as a tmpfs. This is in RAM so anything that is there will be deleted after a reboot. The real answer here is simply don't store permanent data in /tmp (I mean it's in the name). That's not what that directory is for.

That article seems to indicate automatic deletion of files in that directory via a cron job while the system is running. That's not a thing in Artix so it doesn't apply.

Reply #2
I'm pretty sure all init systems mount /tmp as a tmpfs. This is in RAM so anything that is there will be deleted after a reboot. The real answer here is simply don't store permanent data in /tmp (I mean it's in the name). That's not what that directory is for.
That article seems to indicate automatic deletion of files in that directory via a cron job while the system is running. That's not a thing in Artix so it doesn't apply.
proof: ?

here Artix /tmp is just simple /tmp

Many linux else do it, not only red hat, also how prevent /tmp contents just like here https://serverfault.com/questions/147512/how-to-prevent-linux-from-deleting-temporary-files-on-shutdown
'

Reply #3
Post the output from
Code: [Select]
mount |grep /tmp
and
cat /etc/fstab
Your referring to links that are very old and about other distros. They are not relevant.

Which init are you using?

Reply #5
You didn't bother providing the output I asked for so I'm not promising this will work.
But in: /etc/conf.d/bootmisc
wipe_tmp="NO"