Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Chromium and Chrome won't open (Read 3334 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Chromium and Chrome won't open

Reply #15
What i found is that you can start chromium in the commandline with
Code: [Select]
--disable-features=AllowQt

Thanks!

For those of you running a chromium-based browser in a Qt environment without issue, what is the result if you use
--enable-features=AllowQt
? (found reading https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/76769)

Reply #17
I get the same problem, any ungoogled chromium versions. It just crashes, in terminal it sends some error about gtk and etc.

Reply #18
I just did an enormous KDE update (over 2 gigs worth) that just came out, and also the new ungoogled-chromium, unfortunately neither of those helped with the issue. However, I'm still able to start ungoogled-chromium with the --disable-features=AllowQt commandline option. Thanks for looking into this and I will continue reporting on what I can and trying anything requested.

For the record, this is the output without the commandline option (process just hangs and never ends, no CPU usage)
$ chromium
[15307:15307:0830/021526.751626:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(274)] GLib-GObject: cannot register existing type 'GtkWidget'
[15307:15307:0830/021526.751641:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(274)] GLib-GObject: g_type_add_interface_static: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed
[15307:15307:0830/021526.751646:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(274)] GLib-GObject: cannot register existing type 'GtkBuildable'
[15307:15307:0830/021526.751648:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(274)] GLib-GObject: g_type_interface_add_prerequisite: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INTERFACE (interface_type)' failed
[15307:15307:0830/021526.751651:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(274)] GLib: g_once_init_leave: assertion 'result != 0' failed
[15307:15307:0830/021526.751653:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(274)] GLib-GObject: g_type_add_interface_static: assertion 'G_TYPE_IS_INSTANTIATABLE (instance_type)' failed
[15307:15307:0830/021526.751655:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(274)] GLib-GObject: g_type_register_static: assertion 'parent_type > 0' failed

Reply #19
running chromium '--gtk-version=4' produces this error on my physical LXQT box, but only if gtk4 is installed:

ERROR:chrome_browser_cloud_management_controller.cc(163)] Cloud management controller initialization aborted as CBCM is not enabled.

running 'chromium '--gtk-version=3' works fine with or without gtk4 installed

This is the exact same behaviour as in https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1468418

artist

Reply #20
running chromium '--gtk-version=4' produces this error on my physical LXQT box, but only if gtk4 is installed:

ERROR:chrome_browser_cloud_management_controller.cc(163)] Cloud management controller initialization aborted as CBCM is not enabled.

running 'chromium '--gtk-version=3' works fine with or without gtk4 installed

This is the exact same behaviour as in https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1468418

artist

Just an FYI, I get that error about CBCM when my ungoogled-chromium launches correctly with the commandline option, like so

$ chromium --disable-features=AllowQt
[19291:19291:0831/002003.200108:ERROR:chrome_browser_cloud_management_controller.cc(163)] Cloud management controller initialization aborted as CBCM is not enabled.

Reply #21
The --disable-features=AllowQt also fixed vivaldi for me, so it's probably all chromium based browsers.

Reply #22
I am using the preconfigured QT version of Artix with OpenRC.  On inspecting Qt5 Settings in Artix, I noticed an error message about the Style entry in the Appearance tab.  The style was set to gtk2, but the message said it was not configured correctly.  You should install qt5ct, if you don't have it already.  I changed the gtk2 setting to another (Breeze in my case), and this solved my problem.  I was able to launch Chrome from the menu as before.  I don't know if this is helpful to you; it might be worth a try.

Reply #23
On inspecting Qt5 Settings in Artix, I noticed an error message about the Style entry in the Appearance tab.

Thanks, in my case following the steps given by qt5ct (unset an env variable and change the value of another one) worked

Reply #24
There is a - slightly - newer version now, built with only the 'standard' patches.
It can be installed using pacman -U https://universe.artixlinux.org/x86_64/ungoogled-chromium-116.0.5845.97-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

Tested.. same error..

What i found is that you can start chromium in the commandline with
--disable-features=AllowQt
Or put it in chromium-flags.conf ..
This worked for me in LXQT, dont know if this helps..
Maybe something new with QT5?

Amazing. I had this exact same problem and this fixed it.

Reply #25
To create the file chromium-flags.conf in /etc with the parameters --disable-features=AllowQt, solve the problem.

The question is that now also brave have the same problem, I downgraded to the previous version. I'll try to create a brave-flags.conf...

Reply #26
To create the file chromium-flags.conf in /etc with the parameters --disable-features=AllowQt, solve the problem.

The question is that now also brave have the same problem, I downgraded to the previous version. I'll try to create a brave-flags.conf...

It had been solved with an update, then after these last ones the problem came back.

after creating the file in chromium-flags.conf in /etc/ it was solved, it just asked to unlock the profile and restart, thanks for the tip.

Reply #27
Having the same issue on KDE.  --disable-features=AllowQt fixed it. Thanks all!