Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] getting rid of pulse audio (Read 18408 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] getting rid of pulse audio

How can I get rid of pulse audio and still keep firefox?

Re: getting rid of pulse audio

Reply #1
How can I get rid of pulse audio and still keep firefox?
Downgrade to firefox version 51 or older... They removed alsa support in version 52. Other than that there is nothing you can do.
Chris Cromer

Reply #2
You can start using another browser.

You can try program 'apulse', which somehow worked when i tried it long time ago.

You can try some firefox fork or clone.

Reply #3
download firefox PKGBUILD

add

--enable-alsa
  --enable-jack

you can probably also

--disable-pulseaudio  

build PKGBUILD, take a break for a few hours

hopefully all goes well and you have a new firefox package with no pulseaudio, but considering mozilla's current trend, it may not build

Reply #4
add

--enable-alsa
  --enable-jack
I read they completely removed ALSA support from code in newer versions, you might be able to do things like this with Firefox 52 but i doubt it would work with current release

Well, i have no idea about JACK support, so good luck

Reply #5
As another possible alternative, you could opt to pipe all sound and video to mpv. There's different ways you can do this (with just a keybind that opens up a url in clipboard, with the "open with" addon, etc.) It should work 99% of the time at least.

Reply #6
ALSA-only support has been removed completely from Firefox. There is sndio support, but you need to patch it manually to enable it in Linux.
Also, shouldn't this thread be moved here?
now only the dinit guy in artix

Reply #7
To avoid pulseaudio I use (only for streaming) waterfox instead of firefox.
As for youtube and similar, I open these links with vlc ;)

If someone interested, here's the wontfix bug in firefox bug tracker:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1345661

Bye!

Reply #8
You could try using the Windows FF executable through Wine.

Reply #9
To avoid pulseaudio I use (only for streaming) waterfox instead of firefox.
As for youtube and similar, I open these links with vlc ;)

If someone interested, here's the wontfix bug in firefox bug tracker:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1345661

Bye!

I switched to waterfox when palemoon went to 52+ and also issued a warning that NoScript is breaking some webpages and the browser.  Although I never experienced such breakage as claimed it was an indication of how palemoon thinks.
Waterfox has been the fastest fully functional browser I have ever used.  FF-esr has moved up to be obsolete too.
One drawback with wf  was trying to build it from source, something wasn't right, it took for ever and kept downloading till it filled the partition (restricted /tmp but not for so many GB it used).  Waterfox-bin from Aur works fine or go directly to the site.

Reply #10
I read that Void Linux built their Firefox package with Alsa support since it was removed from the official Mozilla binaries, AFAIK they still do this. Pale Moon does not need pulse audio and works with Alsa, this includes the latest 28 series unstable releases and the binaries direct from the Pale Moon site.

Reply #12
It has spread now to mplayer..

Reply #13
mplayer (as well as mpv for that matter) certainly supports ALSA. Maybe the defaults changed or something.

Reply #14
This has been an issue for Gentoo users who (used to) have a choice regarding compile flags, and whether to use oss/alsa/pulse/jack or whatever they wanted, but the truth is, this has  to be handled by Mozilla, it's not a distro thing, maybe we should all start seriously bugging the Mozilla Foundation about it... There are enough people who don't want pulse, for both philosophical and practical reasons (resampling, for one). There are people saying v57 could be compiled against ALSA again, but it's probably not high up on their priorities list.

A lot of times, for youtube and other *tube sites, I use youtube-dl, on firefox you can install the 'open with' extension and point it to mpv or smplayer, it will automagically invoke youtube-dl in the background and start playing it outside the browser. It's dirty but it works.

On a side note, I was looking at an alternative to Android (sailfish) ... and it looked interesting, but it's using systemd+pulse. What the actual F#(&^$(#&$....