Skip to main content
Topic: Extra.db is unavailable for -Syu updating (Read 421 times) previous topic - next topic

Extra.db is unavailable for -Syu updating

When updating with pacman, I have had failed updates due to a missing extra.db repository, for several days now :
"
# pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 system is up to date
 world is up to date
 galaxy is up to date
 lib32 is up to date
 extra.db failed to download
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from mirrors.advancedhosters.com : The requested URL returned error: 502
error: failed to synchronize all databases (failed to retrieve some files)
"

Thanks in advance for advice generally re this issue.

Should I continue to use extra.db? If not please also advise, perhaps, how to disconnect it from the download repositories list - - -

Re: Extra.db is unavailable for -Syu updating

Reply #1
was it updating successfully before from this manually added Arch repo.?  And does doing another   sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux have any effect before an -Syu?

Reply #2
It had been updating for years like that !

It look's like the repo mentioned ("mirrors.advancedhosters.com")  is no longer online as it shows offline @ the various repo status sites. Which explains why extra.db cannot be accessed from it.

I ran your suggestion, which ran perfectly, however the result remained the same with the same error message as posted above.

Is it easy enough to remove "mirrors.advanced hosters.com" from a repo list somewhere, using vim or nano? And seeing as it's arch-based, what effects could that have on this artix system?

Thanks in advance  -  -  -

Reply #3
check what you have in /etc/pacman.conf

if you have extra repository contigured this way:
Code: [Select]
[extra]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch
edit mirrorlist-arch file,  uncomment mirrors you want use and place them on top

if you in pacman.conf have something like this:
Code: [Select]
[extra]
Server = https://mirrors.advancedhosters.com
then change mirror address here

Reply #4
Thanks all.

Yes, once I found pacman.d, it became easy enough to comment out the defunct repo and instead, to un-comment  one of the world wide repos, within the arch mirrorlist file. Problem solved. No repercussions noticed so far, except that also using extra.db from arch seems to be not recommended.

Interestingly , the pacman.d folder contains 3 mirror related folders, at present ;
"
/etc/pacman.d$ ls
gnupg  mirrorlist  mirrorlist-arch  mirrorlist-arch.pacnew
"
What is the difference between pacman.conf and pacman.d ?  pacman.conf seems to set it all up - - - I made the changes discussed above within the pacman.d folder, hoping that's ok - it seems to work well.