Skip to main content
Topic: Trying to start linux on x86 tablet (Read 4366 times) previous topic - next topic

Trying to start linux on x86 tablet

I have Lenovo IdeaPad Miix 10 (CPU Atom Z2760) tablet with Windows 8 on board and i want to install linux on it. The first problem is that just a few distros can be seen in boot menu: i have some success only with Debian, Alpine and Android.
The process looks in following way: i flash installer image to SD card, start it from tablet boot menu (to be included there image must have 32bit EFI) and see GRUB. Whenever i choose in GRUB menu (or write commands manually) tablet just gets stuck without any messages.
Do you have any ideas on what can be done?
ARMtix

Re: Trying to start linux on x86 tablet

Reply #1
The artix iso are 64bit only, but in theory, buildiso could add 32 bit efi, however, we don't have i686 packages, so its not really of use, except your efi is 32bit, but cpu supports 64bit.

Reply #2
The artix iso are 64bit only, but in theory, buildiso could add 32 bit efi, however, we don't have i686 packages, so its not really of use, except your efi is 32bit, but cpu supports 64bit.
No, it is 32bit CPU. The main question is how to make some linux OS start on it after GRUB
ARMtix

Reply #3
I've recently had the unpleasant experience of owning an Intel-CPU tablet and, after a week of wasting my time, sold it back. I only tried my luck with Android, because I wanted a regular tablet experience and I'm telling you, unless the tablet has factory Android installed, you may never get a working solution. Worst problems on such tablets are freezing when going into sleep and no sound. Wifi and BT are other common ones. That being said, your best bet (for Android) is Linuxium's efforts and Android X86.

Reply #4
worth a try?

set gfxpayload=keep
nomodeset i915.modeset=1 fbcon=rotate:1

as per : https://esc.sh/blog/linux-on-lenovo-miix-320/
referenced https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discussion/How-to-boot-linux-on-Miix-2-10-quot/td-p/1506172

I second the bad opinion related to smartphones/tablets, the kernel updates / drivers / binary blob situation is a disaster for the vast majority of them ...