Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Ethernet connection down after installing base system  (Read 196 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Ethernet connection down after installing base system

I was following the installation guide on the website (I'm using OpenRC) and everything went well, until I had installed the base system.

I noticed that I had no internet connection and thought that checking the routing table was worth it. When I used the ip route command, I only had my localhost address as my gateway.

After following some tutorials on the internet, I tried adding my router's private IP address as my default gateway but it wasn't listed as default after entering it, so I flushed everything to start from scratch, but I'm a bit lost now 🙃.

How can I be able to connect to the internet again to finish the install?

Re: Ethernet connection down after installing base system

Reply #1
If you boot the install iso you can redo the relevant earlier steps in the install guide then add more packages using basestrap.

Reply #2
After following some tutorials on the internet, I tried adding my router's private IP address as my default gateway but it wasn't listed
This is the part where you should have posted the exact commands you used and the output you received (where any)

Assuming a router on 192.168.1.1
Code: [Select]
ip link set eth0 up
ip addr add 192.168.1.100/24 broadcast 192.168.1.255 dev eth0
Change last part (100) of 192.168.1.100 if needed to the ip address you want the computer to have. Some routers limit the 'pool' of numbers available. Some let you have any number (except .1 & .255)
ip route add default via 192.168.1.1
If needed (/etc/resolv.conf empty or invalid)
echo "nameserver 1.1.1.1" > /etc/resolv.conf

Reply #3
I went to sleep and when I woke up the connection came back. I don't know the reason but I finished the install.

Thank you for the suggestions and sorry if I forgot to add some information.