Skip to main content
Topic: Libreoffice crashes Xorg (Read 166 times) previous topic - next topic

Libreoffice crashes Xorg

Hi,

Recently, every time I try to run libreoffice-fresh, I crashes Xorg and causes my screen to flicker and I would have to reboot my machine. I am not sure what is going on with it but I don't see any bug reports on it (unless I missed some). If I'm understanding the error logs correctly, it seems to be related to the "libuno_sal.so.3" library (x-session-errors.txt file). Attached are the recent Xorg log files. The x-session-errors.txt file is created using:

Code: [Select]
startx &> ~/.x-session-errors.log

and the xorg.txt file is from

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

after I rebooted and before I ran startx in the console after logging in.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I am using an ROG Strix G15 2021 laptop series with x86_64 architecture and 6.10.10-hardened1-1-hardened kernel. The DE that I am using is Xfce.

Let me know if other info is needed.

Thanks!

Re: Libreoffice crashes Xorg

Reply #1
Hello.
I`m not experienced this.

I`m running stock LTS kernel (6.6.51-1-lts), flatpak version of Libreoffice and dwl compositor for Wayland based on wlroots.

Reply #2
@Ogis ,

It seems that I've found at least a temporary solution. One commenter on the Archlinux forum also experienced similar problems with Libreoffice here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=296128

When I execute

SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk4 soffice -writer

it starts up fine with no crashes. It only displays some warnings and things in the terminal that hopefully are too much of a big deal:

Warning: -writer is deprecated.  Use --writer instead.

(soffice:4611): Gtk-WARNING **: 09:34:59.933: Unknown key gtk-modules in /home/budman/.config/gtk-4.0/settings.ini

(soffice:4611): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 09:35:01.399: gtk_popover_menu_get_menu_model: assertion 'GTK_IS_POPOVER_MENU (popover)' failed

It's theme looks a little funny, but it seems to be working.

Reply #3
After deleting .config/libreoffice/, the problem is coming up again even after using the previous workaround. I think for the time being, I'm just going to be using Abiword until this problem resolves.

Reply #4
After deleting .config/libreoffice/, the problem is coming up again even after using the previous workaround. I think for the time being, I'm just going to be using Abiword until this problem resolves.

And how about flatpak?

Libreoffice is essential for my work, so I use the flatpak version.

Reply #6
@Ogis

I have not used flatpak, but I could give it a try.

@Artist

I did try previous versions but then there would be library .so error, presumably due to dependence on previous version of some other dependencies, like icu, and downgrading those would seem to require a lot of dependency hell that I would have to go through.

I did, however, seem to have found at least a temporary solution (once again). Using this section of LibreOffice ArchWiki, I first ran it in safe mode, reset everything to factory settings, closed it out and started it up with

export SAL_DISABLE_OPENCL=1 ; libreoffice

via the terminal. It seems to be working consistently so I put it as an alias in my bashrc. It's not ideal as I would prefer to just click on an icon, but it works now nonetheless. I'll admit, I am not sure what sequence of steps that I used above that made it work though so keep that in mind. I guess you can say I just threw everything at it to see whatever works. ;)

Thank you for the replies.