Skip to main content
Topic: disk unmounting  (Read 485 times) previous topic - next topic

disk unmounting

I am a noob at this

dmesg has these two  messages, last. upon booting
[    8.021993] EXT4-fs (sdb): mounted filesystem f16d6041-8fb4-401b-8c66-cdf1ed948bc1 r/w with ordered data mode. Quota mode: none.
[    8.022455] EXT4-fs (sdb): unmounting filesystem f16d6041-8fb4-401b-8c66-cdf1ed948bc1.

fstab has this line
UUID=f16d6041-8fb4-401b-8c66-cdf1ed948bc1 /run/media/a/Greg ext4 defaults,noatime,x-gvfs-show 0 1

Disks shows it as unmounted. it mounts when requested.

How do i get this drive to mount and stay mounted automagically when booted?

Re: disk unmounting

Reply #1
You can try another mount path as the x-gvfs-show option should treat the drive as mounted by it from anywhere, and here it probaby conflicts with it's /run/media path paradoxically.

Or ditch that option completely and some file managers (doublecmd) will still pick it up in the gui listing. Or just add the mount point to bookmarks.

It really shouldn't unmount by itself afterwards...
...Although let me tell you i have been having some strange mounting behavior in the past month or so myself and i mount normally just with noatime and some with r/o.

Reply #2
edited fstab thus

UUID=f16d6041-8fb4-401b-8c66-cdf1ed948bc1 /run/media/a/Greg ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1

dmesg still showing unmounting

[    7.635206] EXT4-fs (sdb): mounted filesystem f16d6041-8fb4-401b-8c66-cdf1ed948bc1 r/w with ordered data mode. Quota mode: none.
[    7.635498] EXT4-fs (sdb): unmounting filesystem f16d6041-8fb4-401b-8c66-cdf1ed948bc1.

Any idea how I can find the unmount reason?
sound i remove defaults?
is the " 0 1" right?

PCManFM-QT shows error when I open any BM referencing the drive

I dont really want to change the mount path as this all used to work and a bunch of stuff is linked to it. I can if i need to...

Reply #3
OK i ran some testing and i'm seeing the same behavior, very strange indeed, don't really know who is to blame here.
[    8.482336] XFS (sda1): Mounting V5 Filesystem
[    8.662341] XFS (sda1): Ending clean mount
[    8.663022] XFS (sda1): Unmounting Filesystem

Your only choice is to bind mount, so mount to a different location then bind it to /run/media/etc
Or gvfs has some mount options in it's userspace.
Search for both they are documented.

Reply #4
How would I even report this?

Reply #5
I'm not sure if it's gvfs/udisks2/dbus to blame, or if it's maybe util-linux, or even the kernel itself if someone hardcoded those /run/media paths into it.

Reply #6
This may be related or it may not....

Recently, (past month or so), I have a raid system that mounts automatically at boot via fstab, but recently this has not been the case, every time the raid is not mounted at boot. Manually mounting (mount -a) invariably mounts it successfully.

I have looked at dmesg and can't see any reference to unmounting as are the cases above. I had put it down to an ageing desktop perhaps experiencing a race condition somehow (I am pretty ignorant in these things as you can see....!).

So, reading this thread I though it might be possible that my problem is connected?

Reply #8

If that was aimed at me, I don't think so thanks. My desktop is quite old and is a BIOS only boot method . It must be something to do with booting, as when mounted manually it stays mounted for the whole session.

I've had Artix running on that machine for 3+ years now (on the LTS kernel), and never had a problem until about a month or so ago. I haven't changed any software on it either, other than regularly updating of course.

Reply #9
How do i force mount after the unmount?