Skip to main content
Topic: [SOLVED] No Wireless & no automounting USB (Read 3800 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] No Wireless & no automounting USB

Hi all,

I'm coming from a Manjaro Open RC system that I have done a fresh install of Artix on. I started with installing i3 from the installer, then installing XFCE (removing i3) and configuring it to what I like to see. I am currently running into not having Wireless and am not sure where to go, have been looking for a solution with no luck yet. I have a Dell Latitude laptop with the Broadcom BCM43228, some diagnostic information below from my searches. I had no issues with WiFi on the old Manjaro OpenRC installation.

sudo lspci -vnn -d 14e4:

03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Limited BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4359]
   Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:0014]
   Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
   Memory at f7300000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
   Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
   Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information: Len=78 <?>
   Capabilities: [48] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
   Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
   Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
   Capabilities: [13c] Virtual Channel
   Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 00-00-8b-ff-ff-51-70-18
   Capabilities: [16c] Power Budgeting <?>
   Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge
   Kernel modules: bcma

lsmod | grep b43

b43                   397312  0
mac80211              675840  1 b43
cfg80211              512000  2 b43,mac80211
ssb                    61440  1 b43
rng_core               16384  1 b43
bcma                   49152  1 b43
led_class              16384  4 b43,sdhci,input_leds,dell_laptop
mmc_core              126976  4 b43,sdhci,ssb,sdhci_pci

sudo dmesg | grep firmware

[    5.700493] b43 bcma0:1: Direct firmware load for b43/ucode30_mimo.fw failed with error -2
[    5.700500] b43 bcma0:1: Direct firmware load for b43/ucode30_mimo.fw failed with error -2
[    5.700509] b43 bcma0:1: Direct firmware load for b43-open/ucode30_mimo.fw failed with error -2
[    5.700514] b43 bcma0:1: Direct firmware load for b43-open/ucode30_mimo.fw failed with error -2
[    5.700516] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and download the correct firmware for this driver version. Please carefully read all instructions on this website.

RFKILL shows no blocks, hard or soft.

My other issue is mounting USB. On my Manjaro system, once a drive was inserted it would show up in Thunar (or desktop) giving the option to mount it. On Artix USB shows up with fdisk -l, but won't show up anywhere else. It will let me mount it manually using a terminal, but I don't want to have to keep doing that.

Thanks in advanced everyone.

Re: No Wireless & no automounting USB

Reply #1
For automounting USBs, you probably want to create a udev rule. You can call it whatever you want. Mine is /etc/udev/rules.d/10-automount.rules and is as follows.

Code: [Select]
#automount usb devices
SUBSYSTEMS=="scsi", KERNEL=="sd[a-h][0-9]",
SYMLINK:="/media/%k", RUN+="/usr/bin/pmount /dev/%k"

Here's some examples of some udev rules for automounting. There's many more possible configurations you can google. I'd recommend using pmount for mounting/unmounting since it's designed to handle mounting as a normal user.

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply, I created a rule with thei infomration you posted to no effect. Is your example meant to be a straight copy and paste or does it require customization and/or permission changes to the 10-automount.rules file? Interestingly enough, I installed Artix on another Dell Latitude and the USB mounting funcitons exactly like it did with the Manjaro install. I'm going to see if there are any mount rules I can find on that laptop to reference as well.

Reply #3
For the wireless have you installed the broadcom dkms package?  Should be in the Arch community repo I believe.

Reply #4
Thanks for the reply, I created a rule with thei infomration you posted to no effect. Is your example meant to be a straight copy and paste or does it require customization and/or permission changes to the 10-automount.rules file? Interestingly enough, I installed Artix on another Dell Latitude and the USB mounting funcitons exactly like it did with the Manjaro install. I'm going to see if there are any mount rules I can find on that laptop to reference as well.

No, it's nothing fancy. The file is owned by root and it has read-write permissions. It should automatically load the changes, but you could run udevadm to do it manually. My example relies on pmount so you would of course have to install that from AUR if you haven't already. My machines are all migrated from Arch Openrc, so I don't know if Manjaro or the Artix installer setup any udev rules on their own. I would suppose it's likely.

Reply #5
sudo dmesg | grep firmware

[    5.700493] b43 bcma0:1: Direct firmware load for b43/ucode30_mimo.fw failed with error -2
[    5.700500] b43 bcma0:1: Direct firmware load for b43/ucode30_mimo.fw failed with error -2
[    5.700509] b43 bcma0:1: Direct firmware load for b43-open/ucode30_mimo.fw failed with error -2
[    5.700514] b43 bcma0:1: Direct firmware load for b43-open/ucode30_mimo.fw failed with error -2
[    5.700516] b43-phy0 ERROR: You must go to http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#devicefirmware and download the correct firmware for this driver version. Please carefully read all instructions on this website.
RFKILL shows no blocks, hard or soft.
Get b43-firmware from the AUR, it will pull b43-fwcutter too.

Reply #6
Thanks again. b43-firmware depends on linux and won't install, I was able to install the b43-firmware-lts but still getting nowhere with my wireless. Also installed the broadcom-wl-dkms with no results. Is the BCMA the correct kernel driver/module (shown in the lspci command) or is there some other way to get it to load B43?

The Udev rule with pmount installed worked, but things mounted oddly and had errors upon unmounting. On my old Manjaro install and another Artix install (Another Dell latitude) the USB mounting worked  as expected with no issues with the default install. So that's a head scratcher as the other Artix install had no udev rules. 

Reply #7
WiFi is solved. I removed the b43-firmware-lts and the broadcom-wl-dkms packages and installed the b43-firmware using yaourt tool from a terminal - edited the package build to change the dependency from Linux to Linux-lts and it installed and I have wireless! Last thing to get this to be basically where I was before switching to Artix is for the USB to behave the way it did on Manjaro and the way it does on my other Artix laptop. Thanks for all the feedback so far everyone.

Reply #8
Looks like I have the USB behavior functioning like I was expecting. Installed gvfs-nosystemd and autmounter from AUR, along with udisk2 and everything seems to be normal again. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Re: [SOLVED] No Wireless & no automounting USB

Reply #9
Hi
How you did change the dependency from Linux to Linux-lts and it installed ,to install b43-firmware
Wolf

Re: [SOLVED] No Wireless & no automounting USB

Reply #10
You have to run the yaourt tool from the command line: yaourt -S b43-firmware 

After it downloads the PKGBUILD it will ask you if you want to edit the PKGBUILD, type Y and then it will ask what you want to edit it with. I type in nano at this point and after pressing enter you will be editing the file within the nano editor. Part way down you will see a line that says: depends=("linux>=3.2")

I changed that to read: depends=("linux-lts>=3.2")

Save the file and continue building/installing the package.