Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: upgrade man-db (gremlins) fails because /lib exists (Read 1504 times) previous topic - next topic

upgrade man-db (gremlins) fails because /lib exists

Upgrading man-db from 2.8.4-r1 (system) to 2.8.5-r1 (gremlins) fails with "man-db: /lib exists in filesystem (owned by filesystem)".  I have not looked into the package or PKGBUILD, but I assume it is a typo related to installing files and not a serious issue (i.e., should hopefully be easy to fix.)

Re: upgrade man-db (gremlins) fails because /lib exists

Reply #1
Upgrading man-db from 2.8.4-r1 (system) to 2.8.5-r1 (gremlins) fails with "man-db: /lib exists in filesystem (owned by filesystem)".  I have not looked into the package or PKGBUILD, but I assume it is a typo related to installing files and not a serious issue (i.e., should hopefully be easy to fix.)
I installed it with --force option
ARMtix

Reply #2
me too

Reply #3
Yes, worked for me also.  Hopefully it will be fixed before moving from gremlins to system.

Reply #4
Don't use --force all the time.
Pacman has  gained --overwrite arg btw.

You now got a /lib/systemd/ dir on your system, can be deleted.

Reply #5
Thanks.  /lib is otherwise empty.  Out of curiousity, was it just a historical leftover from before /lib64 was used?  Or, was it there to block systemd stuff? 

Reply #6
Thanks.  /lib is otherwise empty.  Out of curiousity, was it just a historical leftover from before /lib64 was used?  Or, was it there to block systemd stuff? 

https://gitea.artixlinux.org/packagesM/man-db/commit/3be943fde001405b4220d1a0b91e5a8489ed1d82

Overlooked new option, enabled by default.

Reply #7
At least on my machine /lib is symlink to /usr/lib
Some programs might want to use this path.

Reply #8
Don't use --force all the time.
Pacman has  gained --overwrite arg btw.

You now got a /lib/systemd/ dir on your system, can be deleted.
Unfortunately, i found your comment too late
ARMtix

Reply #9
Sorry to not let this die quite yet, but I'm still curious why it would fail just because /lib already exists.  While we don't want it, I would have assumed it would have just created /lib/systemd and put those two files in it.  Does it assume /lib is/should be owned by systemd instead of filesystem?  Wouldn't it also fail on a PC with systemd, or is the ownership of /lib there different?