Skip to main content
Topic: start-stop-daemon  (Read 5422 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: start-stop-daemon

Reply #15
Well perhaps if you ask him to drop by for lunch again he can help you with Apache  :D
The only ls builtin I've seen is ls-F in tcsh, I can't find any sign of ls being a Bash builtin, including in your link.
Looking at the script it searches /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf for a line beginning with ListenAddress and the next word after that should be the value of rc_need. Except according to the guide nous linked to, it might be an IP address, and you need to determine what net service provides that, so the value for rc_need might be loopback, net, network, net.eth0 or something like that perhaps. I think rc_need is a kind of 'depends' variable for apache so it doesn't start until the things it requires are running at boot.

Reply #16
Well perhaps if you ask him to drop by for lunch again he can help you with Apache  :D
The only ls builtin I've seen is ls-F in tcsh, I can't find any sign of ls being a Bash builtin, including in your link.
Looking at the script it searches /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf for a line beginning with ListenAddress and the next word after that should be the value of rc_need. Except according to the guide nous linked to, it might be an IP address, and you need to determine what net service provides that, so the value for rc_need might be loopback, net, network, net.eth0 or something like that perhaps. I think rc_need is a kind of 'depends' variable for apache so it doesn't start until the things it requires are running at boot.
Richard is not going work apache.  Its not what he does and he is not found of the apache license..

FWIW - ls is stand alone on my system
Code: [Select]
[ruben@flatbush ~]$ type -a ls
ls is aliased to `ls --color=auto'
ls is /usr/bin/ls
ls is /bin/ls

cd is built in

[ruben@flatbush ~]$ command -V cd
cd is a shell builtin

Looking at the script it searches /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf for a line beginning with ListenAddress and the next word after that should be the value of rc_need.

where do you see that?

Reply #17
FWIW - ls is stand alone on my system
cd is built in

where do you see that?

awk '/^ListenAddress/{ print $2 }' "$APACHE_CONFIG"

AFAICT ls is standalone on all Linux systems. Probably you were thinking of cd .... or dir, which seems to be a DOS builtin  ;D
When the GNU/Linux OS was created it comprised the Linux kernel plus GNU apps including the GNU coreutils, so they were there from the very start, and I expect that historical status has been accepted as the default.
I did find an alternative to ls, exa, is available in the repos, and that works too it seems.

Reply #20
awk '/^ListenAddress/{ print $2 }' "$APACHE_CONFIG"

AFAICT ls is standalone on all Linux systems. Probably you were thinking of cd

Specifically, I am thinking of a case where I was using my newly constructed rescue disk for SuSE in the 2000's at an installfest and the ls command failed because it couldn't load a shared library.  At that point, I realized a number of commands for BASH failed to work for similar reasons and I needed to swap out BASH and use SH instread and reload core utils on the disk.

That being said...it doesn't matter.  I'm suffering one of my bouts with depression triggered by life events that make me realize that there is no hope for the future in this world of a technologically illiterate society being lead by their nose for "free" products that track, record, categorize, stamp, organize and commoderize every human on the planet in an ever increasing web of social controls and absolute law enforcement.

Reply #21

That being said...it doesn't matter.  I'm suffering one of my bouts with depression triggered by life events that make me realize that there is no hope for the future in this world of a technologically illiterate society being lead by their nose for "free" products that track, record, categorize, stamp, organize and commoderize every human on the planet in an ever increasing web of social controls and absolute law enforcement.

The analog "old" system do exactly the same, just with more personell.
The system gets just updated to fraud & control 3.0, "optimized and more efficient".

Reply #22
Cheer up, you could always build coreutils with static libs if it makes you feel happier  :D
ls doesn't seem to be built in with sh either ? Shell builtins are supposedly there for speed reasons, so I think it makes sense that ls is not included, as it's intended for human-speed use.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/210948/what-to-use-when-the-ls-command-doesnt-work
That page suggests things like this, tab completion can also be used:
echo ./ *
printf '%s\n' *
printf '%q\n' *
find -printf "%M\t%u\t%g\t%p\n

Reply #24
Cheer up, you could always build coreutils with static libs if it makes you feel happier  :D
ls doesn't seem to be built in with sh either ? Shell builtins are supposedly there for speed reasons, so I think it makes sense that ls is not included, as it's intended for human-speed use.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/210948/what-to-use-when-the-ls-command-doesnt-work
That page suggests things like this, tab completion can also be used:
echo ./ *
printf '%s\n' *
printf '%q\n' *
find -printf "%M\t%u\t%g\t%p\n

with sh is depended on the external ls.  BASH itself was depending on shard libraries not on the root file system

Reply #26

The analog "old" system do exactly the same, just with more personell.
The system gets just updated to fraud & control 3.0, "optimized and more efficient".

spend some time in my Pharmacy and learn what the optimization looks like up close.