Skip to main content
Topic: 20181008 lxqt livecd installer failed to install on my computer after 5 tries (Read 2944 times) previous topic - next topic

20181008 lxqt livecd installer failed to install on my computer after 5 tries

Checked the checksums, no issue, tried to burn with etcher and rufus with both runit and openrc images, still no luck.

I ran the system->install, each time it completed successfully, grub installed in mbr, but when I restarted, the computer couldn't boot off the harddrive at all. It couldn't see any bootable devices after I installed Artix. I tried 2 different harddrives, and neither worked.

To see if it was an issue with my hardware, I installed fedora and it ran without any issues. It's a Toshiba satellite from 2016, can't remember the model number, will post it tomorrow. Has this ever happened to any one?

Re: 20181008 lxqt livecd installer failed to install on my computer after 5 tries

Reply #1
Have you tried to install the bootloader on  separate /boot partition or your / partition? Before rebooting after install, check that the partitions have proper flags.
I've had similar issues when installing manjaro on my hp laptop.

Re: 20181008 lxqt livecd installer failed to install on my computer after 5 tries

Reply #2
Is there a safe booting variable on your system?  If it is turned on it will not allow "other" systems to boot on it.  I would imagine there would be a message not a blank screen if it was blocked.  But then again you are booting a live image to be able to do an installation.  I would reboot and go to a console or qt-terminal and :
Mount the installation partition ?/dev/sda5?  or something, # ls -alh /dev/disk/by-uuid   will show you all the partitions and their uuid numbers.  Let's say the disk is sda and the artix installation partition is sda5
# mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
Chroot into it:  # sudo artools-chroot /mnt
# pacman -S os-prober
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
# grub-install /dev/sda
# exit
# reboot

(if /dev/sda and sda5 are not what you have replace accordingly).

Reply #3
Have you tried to install the bootloader on  separate /boot partition or your / partition? Before rebooting after install, check that the partitions have proper flags.
I've had similar issues when installing manjaro on my hp laptop.
the partition does have artix name on it when I checked the partition manager.

Is there a safe booting variable on your system?  If it is turned on it will not allow "other" systems to boot on it.  I would imagine there would be a message not a blank screen if it was blocked.  But then again you are booting a live image to be able to do an installation.  I would reboot and go to a console or qt-terminal and :
Mount the installation partition ?/dev/sda5?  or something, # ls -alh /dev/disk/by-uuid   will show you all the partitions and their uuid numbers.  Let's say the disk is sda and the artix installation partition is sda5
# mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
Chroot into it:  # sudo artools-chroot /mnt
# pacman -S os-prober
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
# grub-install /dev/sda
# exit
# reboot

(if /dev/sda and sda5 are not what you have replace accordingly).
My computer only has bios on it and doesn't have safe boot.
I could mount the partition when I ran it with live usb, but I couldn't do # pacman -S os-prober

Reply #4
Strange. I successfully installed Artix on a desktop, but on this particular laptop I just can't do it.

By the way, can someone tell me how to use pacman on artix? The syntax are different from Arch (packer doesn't exist), and I can't install tkpacman or pamac.

Reply #7
the partition does have artix name on it when I checked the partition manager.
My computer only has bios on it and doesn't have safe boot.
I could mount the partition when I ran it with live usb, but I couldn't do # pacman -S os-prober

The only reason I mentioned os-prober is that you mentioned you had windows when you made the live stick and that you boot and get a black screen.  os-prober will run with grub-mkconfig and discover other installed systems.

When you chroot to a partition you are root.  I don't know what the error message was when you tried pacman -S but the only think I can think about is you have a blank db.  So run pacman -Sy before it.  If pacman doesn't run at all then you don't have an artix installation.  The pkg manager is one of the first things that installs with every system and the core file system.  If you have this working everything else can be fixed.  If not it is a dead installation.

Reply #8
(packer doesn't exist), and I can't install tkpacman or pamac.

Packer is a pacman wrapper and exist's in community (arch's repository), pamac has its own build in artix, and tkpacman is an aur package.  All are available.  pacaur also needs libsystemd now, which artix also provides. 

I am convinced that all you need is to run pacman -Sy and your database will be created for the first time.  You somehow seem to have installed grub but /boot/grub/grub.cfg doesn't exist or it is false.

What graphics hw do you have on this laptop?    Nvidia?  I am sorry :)

Reply #9
The laptop model that failed to install Artix is Toshiba Satellite L675. I will run the inxi on monday.

Processor:    Intel® Pentium® P6000 processor (1.86GHz L3 Cache 3MB) with Enhanced Intel® SpeedStep® Technology
Memory:    (Slot 1 X 2GB) + (Slot 2 X 1GB) DDR3 (1066MHz)
Video:    Intel® HD Graphics
Video RAM:    VRAM up to 1273MB (for 32bit), 1273MB (for 64bit) dynamically allocated shared graphics memory with 3GB of system memory
Sound Card:    Realtek ALC259-GR Software Sound High Definition Audio Link - built-in stereo speakers

PORTS / COMMUNICATION
Communication:
RJ-45 LAN connector on the left side of the unit (Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller)
Built-in Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC (802.11b/g/n)
Integrated VGA Web Camera for Video over IP

Integrated Ports:    1 Integrated Microphone for Voice over IP on LCD bezel
1 Mono Microphone Jack on the right side of the unit
1 Stereo Headphone Jack on the right side of the unit
1 VGA output port on the left side of the unit
1 Bridge Media Adaptor Slot
1 HDMI Out Port (High Definition Multimedia Interface Consumer Electronics Control) on the left side of the unit
3 2.0 Universal Serial Bus Ports - 2 on the right side, 1 on the left side (combo eSATA/USB port supports USB 2.0 and eSATA function) of the unit

Reply #11
Yeah I tried the 2019 one just yesterday, but no luck :(

Reply #12
it's weird but i would say it has something to do with HDD or Bios perhaps... I feel sorry that i can't help you though.
Perhaps it may have something with GRUB configuration too??

Reply #13
when I restarted, the computer couldn't boot off the harddrive at all. It couldn't see any bootable devices after I installed Artix.
Sounds like GRUB is just wrong for whatever reason.  The Artix booable ISO will let you point GRUB at an OS installed on a harddrive.  Checkout the boot menu - it's there. 
Old-timer penguin

Reply #14
I think the hardware doesn't like some operating systems.
I also can't boot into freebsd usb sticks.