Skip to main content
Topic: updating/adding ARCH kernel modules to ARTIX (Read 424 times) previous topic - next topic

updating/adding ARCH kernel modules to ARTIX

So I noticed linux/linux-headers (4.14.6-1) is now in ARTIX
this requires a few other packages to be moved over to ARTIX as well, particularly kernel modules, and in my case specifically

from extra:
Code: [Select]
nvidia
from community:
r8168

since both of those reference

[/usr]/lib/modules/extramodules-4.14-ARCH

rather than -ARTIX as per the linux package

strangely enough, nvidia-ck was already in world[-testing] and nvidia-lts (from extra) never had an issue.

I've had to manually build some of the ck modules as well for this same reason (specifically r8168, I had to create a new package called r8168-ck that mirrors everything in r8168 except as referenced above, to "extramodules-4.14-ck" in that situation.  A simple edit of the PKGBUILD (and/or other files in the package) is needed.

Now that it looks like artix is moving the main kernel over, please make a note of the modules needing updating, as I'm sure other modules that others may use will also be affected.   Otherwise, all seems to be going well, and thanks!

Re: updating/adding ARCH kernel modules to ARTIX

Reply #1
The artix mainline kernel was necessary to get my new dev box working with amdgpu driver.
I switched over to radeon from long years of nvidia.
Now I can test wayland.

Virtualbox modules had a name change, or better, the LTS modules are now named with lts.

Reply #2
Just to pile on to this thread...
Virtualbox modules fail to load with the current kernel (4.14.6-1).

The ARCH version of virtualbox-host-modules-arch installs the kernal modules to /lib/modules/extramodules-4.14-ARCH.
(According to pacman -Ql virtualbox-host-modules-arch )

On boot, system does not look for the vbox* modules at this location and reports the error that modules are not loaded.

Symlinking the modules and then a modprobe doesn't help (or I've done something wrong in the attempt).

I'm open to suggestions on how to resolve as virtualbox is broken for me now.

Reply #3
Just to pile on to this thread...
Virtualbox modules fail to load with the current kernel (4.14.6-1).

well if you're using the "vanilla" artix kernel (linux in the system repo) you'd have to do what I did for the nvidia/r8168, that is download the PKGBUILD, and replace all instances of "ARCH" with "ARTIX" so that it matches what the kernel is providing (/lib/modules/extramodules-4.14-ARTIX  vs -4.14-ARCH which the packages in [extra] are expecting)

or use the -lts kernel and vbox modules like artoo said

Reply #4
well if you're using the "vanilla" artix kernel (linux in the system repo) you'd have to do what I did for the nvidia/r8168, that is download the PKGBUILD, and replace all instances of "ARCH" with "ARTIX" so that it matches what the kernel is providing (/lib/modules/extramodules-4.14-ARTIX  vs -4.14-ARCH which the packages in [extra] are expecting)

or use the -lts kernel and vbox modules like artoo said

I was starting to reach the conclusion about a local PKGBUILD myself. I was hoping there was another alternative.

Reply #5
I added all necessary kernel modules for mainline and lts kernel in galaxy-testing.

Regarding virtualbox modules, if you are on lts kernel, remove virtualbox-host(or guest)-modules-artix and install the virtualbox-host(or guest)-modules-artix-lts.

As for nvidia, I recommend to use dkms.

Reply #7
I added all necessary kernel modules for mainline and lts kernel in galaxy-testing.

Regarding virtualbox modules, if you are on lts kernel, remove virtualbox-host(or guest)-modules-artix and install the virtualbox-host(or guest)-modules-artix-lts.

As for nvidia, I recommend to use dkms.
Not using testing and not using LTS kernel - two strikes.
I ended up with a local PKGBUILD just to get virtualbox working.
Building the package requires virtualbox-host(or guest)-dkms package installed.
Then when installing the produced package virtualbox-host-modules-arch, pacman complains of conflict and the need to remove virtualbox-host-dkms. modprobe is successful.

Looks like I'll have to live with this (painful) workaround for the moment. I have to read up on chroot environment for package building.

Reply #8
I just ran into this same problem (main kernel, now 4.15.4-1-ARTIX but nvidia-340xx installs under ARCH.  I'll go for the dkms, or maybe just enable testing, but I'm curious why this is still a problem four months later.