Skip to main content
Topic: Should systemd be handling mounting? (Read 220 times) previous topic - next topic

Should systemd be handling mounting?

Hey guys, this is actually an old problem that I thought I solved but in fact I don't think I really did, should SystemD be mounting things? I could never figure out why drives wouldn't mount but I've figured it out - its systemd-dummy / libsystemd-dummy, that's what is auto-mounting USBs/SD cards/etc, if I remove systemd-dummy then the drives won't mount as they normally should.

Every time I would install Artix on my computers, I'd have to install something that would pull in systemd-dummy...
I've checked out my /etc/group file, I've added adbusers, storage & uucp, made sure my username was in that group, but I've got to be missing something else... But what?
:^)

Re: Should systemd be handling mounting?

Reply #1
Systemd does not handle the mounting. It is most likely that the software you are using that handles the mounting depends on systemd libs. In my case I use udisks2. Do you have the same software for mounting(udisks2)?
Chris Cromer

Reply #2
Systemd does not handle the mounting. It is most likely that the software you are using that handles the mounting depends on systemd libs. In my case I use udisks2. Do you have the same software for mounting(udisks2)?

um... yeah.. but Void Linux doesn't require a systemd-dummy for drive-mounting to work though...
So how do I get mounting to work without systemd? Isn't this kind of improper?
:^)

Reply #3
Like Chris said, whatever you are using for mounting probably depends on systemd libs hence why mounting breaks without it. It's not at all necessary though, auto mounting works just fine here without systemd-dummy. In my case, I found that the simplest setup was to launch my xorg or wayland session with dbus-launch (of course, you need elogind, dbus, udev, gvfs, and probably udisks2 for this to work) and then everything mounted properly.

I don't know what your setup is, but you can try a simple ~/.xinitrc and see if your display manager will read it. For example, if you are running xfce then just put this line in there.

Code: [Select]
exec dbus-launch startxfce4

Of course, substitute "startxfce4" with whatever is appropriate for your window manager/desktop environment. If that doesn't seem to do anything for you, try going to tty, killing all xorg sessions, and then manually running startx.

Reply #4
um... yeah.. but Void Linux doesn't require a systemd-dummy for drive-mounting to work though...
So how do I get mounting to work without systemd? Isn't this kind of improper?
The problem here is arch extra and community repos. Packages that come from those 2 repos are compiled against systemd. Once we have all of arch's packages in our world and galaxy repos then it will be possible to get rid of the systemd-dummy. Until that time, systemd-dummy is required for some packages.
Chris Cromer