Skip to main content
Topic: xorgproto unable to update (Read 6532 times) previous topic - next topic
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

xorgproto unable to update

Hey guys, one of my PC's won't take to this new update.

Code: [Select]
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: xorgproto and compositeproto are in conflict. Remove compositeproto? [y/N] y
:: xorgproto and damageproto are in conflict. Remove damageproto? [y/N] y
:: xorgproto and dmxproto are in conflict. Remove dmxproto? [y/N] y
:: xorgproto and fixesproto are in conflict. Remove fixesproto? [y/N] y
:: xorgproto and fontsproto are in conflict. Remove fontsproto? [y/N] y
:: xorgproto and inputproto are in conflict. Remove inputproto? [y/N] y
:: xorgproto and kbproto are in conflict. Remove kbproto? [y/N] y
:: xorgproto and randrproto are in conflict. Remove randrproto? [y/N] y
:: xorgproto and recordproto are in conflict. Remove recordproto? [y/N] y
:: xorgproto and renderproto are in conflict. Remove renderproto? [y/N] y
:: xorgproto and scrnsaverproto are in conflict. Remove scrnsaverproto? [y/N] y
:: xorgproto and videoproto are in conflict. Remove videoproto? [y/N] y
:: xorgproto and xextproto are in conflict. Remove xextproto? [y/N] y
:: xorgproto and xf86dgaproto are in conflict. Remove xf86dgaproto? [y/N] y
:: xorgproto and xf86vidmodeproto are in conflict. Remove xf86vidmodeproto? [y/N] y
:: xorgproto and xineramaproto are in conflict. Remove xineramaproto? [y/N] y
:: xorgproto and xproto are in conflict. Remove xproto? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: libxfont: removing fontsproto breaks dependency 'fontsproto>=2.1.3'

After removing libxfont & then trying to re-install it,

Code: [Select]
resolving dependencies...
warning: cannot resolve "fontsproto>=2.1.3", a dependency of "libxfont"
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      libxfont

:: Do you want to skip the above package for this upgrade? [y/N] ^C
Interrupt signal received

Re: xorgproto unable to update

Reply #1
This issue seems to extend to other Arch-based operating systems.  I've got Antergos on an older PC and Arch proper on another and they both had the same issue.  Is libxfont needed for any other packages?  I uninstalled it on each system and didn't get any warnings of it being required of other programs.  After taking removing it, all of the other updates ran without any problems.

Re: xorgproto unable to update

Reply #2
I had the same issue.  However, I think I did it in three steps (similar on two separate machines)
1) remove libxfont
2) "pacman -Syu" answering No to all the proto replacements - lots of packages updated
3) "pacman -Syu" answering Yes to the proto replacements. - several packages removed, only a few added/updated


Re: xorgproto unable to update

Reply #4
I had the same issue.  However, I think I did it in three steps (similar on two separate machines)
1) remove libxfont
2) "pacman -Syu" answering No to all the proto replacements - lots of packages updated
3) "pacman -Syu" answering Yes to the proto replacements. - several packages removed, only a few added/updated



this works, but it makes me wonder how much of my x configuration is now screwed up.


Re: xorgproto unable to update

Reply #6
I think there are now 4 threads on the same issue!

https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,403.0.html
https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,335.0.html

Unfortunately users have got used to hand fed.
I did the update without any checking of the forums as FF was broken from the last update,
The thing is if you read the terminal output it gives the solution its all simple logic using the terminal
The + ff is up and running again.

Re: xorgproto unable to update

Reply #7
Unfortunately users have got used to hand fed.
I did the update without any checking of the forums as FF was broken from the last update,
The thing is if you read the terminal output it gives the solution its all simple logic using the terminal
The + ff is up and running again.

That is not true.  It could not be figured out from the terminal output.  I had NO clue what was happening.  It may be obvious if you have a deep understanding of the packages, but before posting I did a fairly decent search on the problem and came up pretty blank.  And on the forum I searched and also came up blank.  I am not one that reads every post on the forum, and it was telling me there was conflicts with all these CORE x11 libraries.  I was really quite disconserting.  And it was saying it couldn't remove these library files, which is a message that seemingly made NO sense.  I had to pick the upgrade apart.

And mind you, not that anyone owes anyone anything, but for upgrades to blow up is not uncommon with Artix...nearly half the time.  I wouldn't consider picking the brain of someone who knows what is going on as expecting to be handfed.  I don't want to do 48 hours of research with a system in an unstable condition.  That is not the time to do research.

In this case, I know what happened.  They (the notorious freedesktop villians) decided to combine a bunch of stable x11 libraries.  That is enough to make you nerveous.  But what pacman did, and reported, damn if I understand it.

Additionally, of those 4 messaged on this issue, they weren't really ON this problem, but were __caused__ by xfont.  It feels like playing wack*a*mole, but that is what happens when pacman fails to cleanly handle an upgrade of a core library.  It manifests itself in a dozen ways.

Peace and Love