Artix Linux Forum

Artix Linux => Announcements => Topic started by: nous on April 14, 2018, 11:22:55 PM

Title: Packagers wanted!
Post by: nous on April 14, 2018, 11:22:55 PM
We urgently need more people able to contribute to packaging.

You don't have to be an expert in the occult arts for that; an elementary grasp of Linux in general and how PKGBUILD works should be enough for basic contributions. Help and training will be provided, free of charge!

You can apply here or in PM.
Title: Re: Packagers wanted!
Post by: gavin17 on April 16, 2018, 12:11:36 AM
Count me in
Post by: nous on April 17, 2018, 12:59:26 AM
Count me in

PM sent.
Post by: Relih on April 19, 2018, 09:42:09 AM
Guess I'll never know if I don't try, PM me and we can look for a date for me to frustrate you  :P
Post by: UnclePa on May 18, 2018, 06:55:55 PM
My time is pretty limited, but I might be able to help some.  I used to maintain several of the orphaned OCaml libraries in Arch so I have some experience with PKGBUILD.  What is involved?
Post by: Seventh on May 19, 2018, 11:17:39 AM
I may be able to help, let me know.
Post by: nous on May 19, 2018, 10:52:23 PM
My time is pretty limited, but I might be able to help some.  I used to maintain several of the orphaned OCaml libraries in Arch so I have some experience with PKGBUILD.  What is involved?
I may be able to help, let me know.

Replying in PM.
Post by: archfan on May 21, 2018, 02:32:00 PM
Yup, I'd like to help with that as well!
Post by: kenny_w on May 21, 2018, 02:44:49 PM
Hey man I just made my first 3 PKGBUILD's, I made them out of git repos instead of them being like actual packages with version numbers/etc, all I really need to learn is how to give it a version number & how to make it automate its own updates...

like... when there's a new package available to be packaged, how do we know? Do the packages just update themselves or do we need to alter the PKGBUILD to make it update in the package manager?  I can start with gaming emulators, I have so far done Dolphin-emu, Citra-emu & Medusa-emu, once I am more experienced I'll be able to do other packages. Maybe in a few months I'll have enough experience to do more packages but I would prefer to start with stuff that requires cmake, qmake or ./configure

Inbox me if you don't mind & just teach me a few of the things I have mentioned here that I don't understand & I'll be good-to-go for the simple packages, and you guys can look over the first ones I make to make sure I am doing everything right & give me tips about what I am doing wrong. This is the first one I made, I made a similar one for citra-emu & medusa-emu.

Code: [Select]

pkgname=dolphin-emu-fresh
pkgver=0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc='A GameCube / Wii / Triforce emulator'
arch=('x86_64')
url='http://www.dolphin-emu.org/'
license=('GPL')
depends=('alsa-lib' 'bluez-libs' 'cairo' 'enet' 'gcc-libs' 'gdk-pixbuf2'
         'glib2' 'glibc' 'gtk2' 'hidapi' 'libevdev' 'libgl' 'libpng' 'libpulse'
         'libsm' 'libx11' 'libxi' 'libxrandr' 'libxxf86vm' 'lzo' 'mbedtls'
         'miniupnpc' 'pango' 'sfml' 'zlib' 'pulseaudio' 'ffmpeg' 'pugixml'
'bluez' 'bluez-utils-compat' 'bluez-firmware' 'bluez-plugins'
'bluez-libs' 'bluez-qt' 'bluez-tools' 'bluez-openrc' 'curl' 'xorg-xinput'
         'libeudev' 'libusb' 'libgusb' 'libusb-compat' 'lib32-libusb' 'libtiger'
'pangomm' 'pangox-compat' 'libglvnd' 'sndio' 'alsa-plugins' 'alsa-firmware'
'alsa-utils' 'alsa-lib' 'pulseaudio-alsa' 'alsa-oss')

makedepends=('cmake' 'git' 'qt5-base' 'pango' 'fakeroot')
source=('dolphin-emu::git+https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin.git')
sha256sums=('SKIP')

build() {
git clone https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin.git
mkdir -p dolphin/build
cd dolphin/build

cmake -DOpenGL_GL_PREFERENCE=GLVND -DUSE_X11=1 -DUSE_EGL=1 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DENABLE_QT2=TRUE -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..
make -j48
}

package() {
cd dolphin/build

make DESTDIR="${pkgdir}" install
install -Dm 644 ../Data/51-usb-device.rules -t "${pkgdir}"/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/
}

# make install
# install -Dm 644 ../Data/51-usb-device.rules -t "${pkgdir}"/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/

# vim: ts=2 sw=2 et:

Post by: SGOrava on May 21, 2018, 08:16:28 PM
@kenny_w Be aware that git packages belong to AUR only and should have "-git" suffix in the package name.
these git packages are mostly used to test new features...
"-git" pgkbuilds are updated only when there is something wrong with current pkgbuild or when there was change in buildsystem...
these pkgbuilds can stay unchanged for years and when building always offer newest version.
git pkgbuilds usually have "version" function, so when you build them the version is set to current one.

Normal PKGBUILDS used in our repositories are downloading specific version of desired program,
PKGBUILD is updated when the new release is made or when there is some error with pkgbuild.

PKGBUILD which you posted is mixture of these, it is good for personal use but nightmare for others.
- downloads source from git (build is not stable, you cant offer stable package)
- Package name should reflect that the source is from git with "-git" suffix
- Package version should specify program version (in case of "-git" package provide "version" function)
- Make things easy to read (dont mix tabs and spaces,  indent body of functions)
- Long lines are hard to read, if you can cut long line to multiple short lines

These are my thoughts regarding this subject, i might also be totally wrong :D.
Post by: kb41 on May 22, 2018, 01:18:45 PM
@nous  I may be able to help some let me know what you need
Post by: archfan on May 22, 2018, 04:45:26 PM
Do you need extra package maintainers or not? I'd be happy to help.
Post by: SGOrava on May 23, 2018, 10:40:59 PM
Do you need extra package maintainers or not? I'd be happy to help.
We do.
Post by: Basher on May 24, 2018, 11:03:56 PM
Not much free time, nor an expert but would like helping in this regard.
Post by: archfan on May 26, 2018, 12:10:20 PM
We do.
Hm.
Post by: 0xReki on May 29, 2018, 06:20:49 PM
I could help as well.
Post by: carlosalvatore on May 29, 2018, 08:40:34 PM
I would like to be of service.

Quite busy all the time, but I'll give my best.
Post by: mrbrklyn on June 09, 2018, 10:49:48 AM
I have unexpected free time and can give it maybe about 2 hours a day.  I have no idea where to really start.

Post by: nous on June 09, 2018, 09:05:24 PM
I have unexpected free time and can give it maybe about 2 hours a day.  I have no idea where to really start.
You can read the online documentation (https://github.com/artix-linux/documentation/blob/master/Notes%20for%20packagers.markdown).
Post by: mrbrklyn on June 29, 2018, 09:37:22 AM
OK - I'm reading.
Post by: rek769 on July 02, 2018, 07:32:50 PM
I'm willing to help and to learn.
I've got a bit of experience with building packages for Puppy Linux.
However, I would need a crash course on how to do things properly with PKGBUILD.

Post by: nous on July 03, 2018, 12:04:34 AM
I'm willing to help and to learn.
I've got a bit of experience with building packages for Puppy Linux.
However, I would need a crash course on how to do things properly with PKGBUILD.

PKGBUILDs are just bash scripts, parsed by makepkg. You can read the Arch wiki entries for more information on variables and functions.

A basic how-to pertaining to Artix package operations can be found in our Github documentation page (https://github.com/artix-linux/documentation/blob/master/Notes%20for%20packagers.markdown).

I suggest you create a couple of packages on the AUR so as to familiarize yourself with how package maintainance works; we'll be around for the rest. Cheers!
Post by: mrbrklyn on July 15, 2018, 03:09:55 AM
https://linux.slashdot.org/story/18/07/14/0049259/systemd-free-artix-linux-os-is-looking-for-packagers
Post by: wdna on July 15, 2018, 08:06:25 PM
Hey... I maintain some AUR packages on Arch.
I admire the Arch build system!
And have much exp. with it as well as Gentoo's portage, will be more than willing to help!
Where can I get information about what exactly needed?
I could also write some article on Wiki about package building scenarios.
(saw the slashdot story)
Post by: kninja on July 18, 2018, 02:56:46 AM
I would hate for Artix to die simply due to  a lack of package maintainers, so I'm willing to help as I can.
Post by: squeakypancakes on July 18, 2018, 06:38:37 AM
I would like to contribute.
Post by: harshavenu99 on July 20, 2018, 05:14:46 AM
I'm in. Checking out https://github.com/artix-linux/documentation/blob/master/Notes%20for%20packagers.markdown
Post by: nous on July 21, 2018, 06:39:31 PM
@kninja @squeakypancakes @harshavenu99

For better and faster communication, please join Freenode, register a nick and poke nous, artux, sgorava or artixelf for an invitation to #artix-dev. Any questions, feel free to ask here or by PM.

Cheers!
Post by: mrbrklyn on July 22, 2018, 02:31:43 PM
Free Node is on irc.  Use a client like hexchat

/Server #freenode

https://freenode.net/kb/answer/registration

for registering a name.

/join #artix
Post by: mrbrklyn on July 22, 2018, 04:41:34 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/90xhr4/artix_linux_with_openrc_or_runit_is_looking_for/
Post by: mrbrklyn on July 24, 2018, 02:00:38 AM
I want tto start by making a package for VIM.  Would that be an acceptable place to start?  I'm not happy with the ones that are produced and I think I can do better on a private compile.  But setting it up into a pacman package makes more sense and I can learn about pacman and PKGBUILDER then
Post by: Chris Cromer on July 24, 2018, 05:12:39 AM
I want tto start by making a package for VIM.  Would that be an acceptable place to start?  I'm not happy with the ones that are produced and I think I can do better on a private compile.  But setting it up into a pacman package makes more sense and I can learn about pacman and PKGBUILDER then
We are not looking to change packages from upstream arch. The only changes that should be made is to remove systemd where necesarry. No other changes will be accepted for vim or any of the other upstream packages from arch without a good reason. You are welcome to publish and share special vim builds in your own unofficial repos, but they will not be allowed under Artix official repos. The reason is that we import packages from arch constantly, and the idea is to follow arch's packages, and if people start changing packages to be too different from Arch it makes importing more difficult and more likely to have errors and problems. Also remember that a distro is designed with other people in mind, just because you don't like how a package is done doesn't mean that others do not like it. The packages are designed in a way that the majority of users will like and use, and for the small number of people who don't like it would rebuild it for their peraonal machines.

Packaging for Artix entails 2 possible forms.
1) If it is an upstream package that is in arch, you may not modify it except where necessary to remove systemd or to make it work on non systemd systems.
2) If it is a package that does not exist in Arch you are free to do what you want with the PKGBUILD of your package, but only your package, you cannot modify somebody else's package without their permision. As example, I maintain the pamac and pamac-classic packages for Artix. They are not in Arch Linux which means that I choose how the PKGBUILD is done, and if anybody else wants to modify it, they would have to ask my permission first.

Hopefully this info helps understand a bit more what packaging under Artix is like.
Post by: mrbrklyn on July 28, 2018, 07:41:16 PM
Thanks.

It is too bad though because it seems like packages from Arch seem to be the ones that are the most broken, and this repeatedly ends up being the case.  I thought that once we get to a completed core non-systemd os working, that we would start to become more independent on arch.

In order to make a contribution then, we really need to be experts on systemd and the free desktop components, in order to seperate them out and handle substitions for udev etc.  That is a long term problem.  It puts the development in a situation where it always has to follow changes in someone elses technology and to adapt to it, when the people you are adapting from are openly hostile to your effort.

If it is possible, can we get a list of packages that need conversion  and that artix is looking to modify?
Post by: InvisiChem on September 03, 2018, 10:27:12 AM
Hanging on guys and I'll give all the help I can.  Got to go do a rehab thing first though.  Be about 6 months,  and heroin free me for packaging and programming lol
Post by: dak on September 18, 2018, 09:17:33 AM
Do you have a list of what packages are needed most?
Post by: nous on September 18, 2018, 01:01:53 PM
Do you have a list of what packages are needed most?

Not particularly. You can start with the ones you use yourself or those occasionally requested here in the forum. Contaminated packages are preferred.

If you feel serious about it, join freenode/#artix and ask for an invite to the dev channel.

Please, have a look at our documentation (https://gitea.artixlinux.org/artix/documentation/src/branch/master/Notes%20for%20packagers.markdown).