Skip to main content
Topic: [SOLVED] Won't boot after Install (runit) (Read 2128 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Won't boot after Install (runit)

I am new to Artix (have installed Arch plenty before). I followed along with the Installation wiki for the base install. Everything seemed to go well no errors or anything. So then I went to reboot and it doesn't boot at all. I went to boot with the USB again and looked for EFI bootloaders and it detects it and can boot into it from there. So I am not sure if it is a grub issue or what. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a Lenovo T480s with EFI if that makes a difference.

Re: Won't boot after Install (runit)

Reply #1
Did it give any error message? If so, what message?

Reply #2
Hello everybody. I came here because I have got exactly the same problem. The difference is that I installed from minimal image with s6. But the problem is the same.

I followed the installation step by step and I was very careful. I've read Archwiki and ArtixLinux's wiki and I cannot figure out what's going on.

This is the output from "efibootmgr -v"

Code: [Select]
sudo efibootmgr -v
BootCurrent: 0002
Timeout: 1 seconds
BootOrder: 0001,0000,0002,0003
Boot0000* ubuntu HD(1,GPT,748f8898-7d7b-44d2-b6ad-1c9e160d9bf8,0x800,0x100000)/File(\EFI\UBUNTU\SHIMX64.EFI)
Boot0001* grub HD(1,GPT,748f8898-7d7b-44d2-b6ad-1c9e160d9bf8,0x800,0x100000)/File(\EFI\grub\grubx64.efi)
Boot0002* UEFI: SanDisk PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x14,0x0)/USB(12,0)/CDROM(1,0x101f80,0x8000)..BO
Boot0003* UEFI: SanDisk, Partition 1 PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x14,0x0)/USB(12,0)/HD(1,MBR,0x0,0x101f80,0x2000)..BO

At the moment I boot from the USB but I really want to use Artixlinux with S6.

Thanks for your help.
Artix Linux Colombia

Reply #3
Hello, I could finally solve the problem. I hope it can helps anyone else.

I booted from the USB.

Then I removed all the things from /boot/efi

rm -rf /boot/efi

And I change the way to install the GRUB, I just use this command. Basically I changed the efi-directory from "/boot/efi" to "/boot"

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot

I ran  efibootmgr -v again and I got this:

sudo efibootmgr -v
BootCurrent: 0004
Timeout: 1 seconds
BootOrder: 0004,0001,0000,0002,0003
Boot0000* ubuntu   HD(1,GPT,748f8898-7d7b-44d2-b6ad-1c9e160d9bf8,0x800,0x100000)/File(\EFI\UBUNTU\SHIMX64.EFI)
Boot0001* GRUB   HD(1,GPT,748f8898-7d7b-44d2-b6ad-1c9e160d9bf8,0x800,0x100000)/File(\EFI\GRUB\grubx64.efi)
Boot0002* UEFI: SanDisk   PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x14,0x0)/USB(12,0)/CDROM(1,0x101f80,0x8000)..BO
Boot0003* UEFI: SanDisk, Partition 1   PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x14,0x0)/USB(12,0)/HD(1,MBR,0x0,0x101f80,0x2000)..BO
Boot0004* artix   HD(1,GPT,748f8898-7d7b-44d2-b6ad-1c9e160d9bf8,0x800,0x100000)/File(\EFI\artix\grubx64.efi)

Reboot and I can finally boot without the USB.
Artix Linux Colombia

Reply #4
Do the install instructions on the wiki need to be corrected? I'm not familiar with installing on efi, so I'm not sure where the --efi-directory argument should point. On the wiki it says:

NOTE: The BIOS boot partition is necessary on UEFI systems with a GPT-partitioned disk. EFI system partition has to be created and mounted at /mnt/boot or /mnt/efi, and the suggested size is around 512 MiB.

So would it be correct assume that --efi-directory should point to wherever you created the above partition? If so, then "--efi-directory=/boot/efi" is clearly wrong.

Reply #5
Hello, I could finally solve the problem. I hope it can helps anyone else.

I booted from the USB.

Then I removed all the things from /boot/efi

And I change the way to install the GRUB, I just use this command. Basically I changed the efi-directory from "/boot/efi" to "/boot"

I ran  efibootmgr -v again and I got this:

Reboot and I can finally boot without the USB.

This right here is the solution. Thank you so much!

Reply #6
Alright, I'll change the wiki entry to "/boot" for this part. If anyone else puts their efi directory somewhere else, I trust they know what they're doing.

Reply #7
the uefi guide/gpt is suppose to follow the arch instructions. Usually the efi partition is mounted (usually to /boot/efi) and is separate from /boot. when doing the grub install, it should then be:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi

Reply #8
The Arch wiki says to mount at /boot. It mentions that "/efi is a replacement[6] for the previously popular (and possibly still used by other Linux distributions) ESP mountpoint /boot/efi." So it seems like you should be using /boot or /efi now.

Reply #9
The Arch wiki says to mount at /boot. It mentions that "/efi is a replacement[6] for the previously popular (and possibly still used by other Linux distributions) ESP mountpoint /boot/efi." So it seems like you should be using /boot or /efi now.

I personally just use /boot

Reply #10
if you started off with windows to partition the drive, the efi partition will be very small. mounting off in as the /boot will fill it over time with grub stuff and vimlinuxes. but hey its your system.

Reply #11
Hi, I think in the 90% of the cases installing grubin /boot/efi  should work. There are exceptions like my computer (I got an Assus)  that you have to install in different place. I based my answer on this post from Archlinux forum. I am not sure about this because I don't have another computer to try.

In my opinion the wiki should use "/boot/efi" and for exceptional cases use "/boot" or you can refer to this post for those cases. If you definitely want to use "/boot" I think the step of creating /boot/efi won't be neccesary:

mkdir /boot/efi

Should be something like this:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id=grub (for UEFI systems) 

Best regards.
Artix Linux Colombia

Reply #12
You're right, that extra mkdir command isn't needed. Thanks!

The Arch Wiki doesn't suggest /boot/efi anymore so I think it's better to avoid that for the guide. Of course, you are free to setup your system however you like.