Skip to main content
Topic: Problem trying to migrate from arch linux (Read 631 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem trying to migrate from arch linux

Hello
I had a new working arch linux installation and I tried to migrate to artix following wiki. I did the first steps via arch-chroot from another linux(pop os) until the step "Restor pacman security levels". Then I booted to arch linux installation and continue the wiki steps.
Again all went fine until the renaming of mirrorlist. There I get an errror could not find pacman.d/mirrorlist.artix.
After several tries I used midnight commander to go to /etc/pacman.d/  and I manually renamed the mirrorlist.artix to mirrorlist. And after that I stacked at the next step "Install your choosen init".
There I cannot install anything and get errors like this:
Code: [Select]
'dbus-1.12.20-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst' from mirror.clarkson.edu : Could not resolve host: mirror.clarkson.edu

for every package and mirror. I realised that I haven't working internet connection any more(I couldn't open any webpage on chromium also). So after that I rebooted to pop os installation and tried to continue from there via arch-chroot. But I have the same problem. Is there any way to solve this and continue the migration?

Re: Problem trying to migrate from arch linux

Reply #1
Well one possible way to get an init, or indeed any package without a working net connection, is to download the package by going to a mirror e.g.
https://mirror.clarkson.edu/artix-linux/repos/ and navigating to the right location, in this case this dir:
https://mirror.clarkson.edu/artix-linux/repos/system/os/x86_64/
then install it with pacman -U after transferring it over from a USB or whatever. You might also need to re-install some of the Arch packages you have already got, as the Artix ones that also exist in the Artix repos might have small differences in build options, or provide / use different solib versions as they may not always be in sync with Arch updates. Some are interchangeable and won't usually matter though. Probably I would try to keep installing / reinstalling key stuff until I hopefully got a bootable system and take it from there. Someone else may add more specific advice later though.

Re: Problem trying to migrate from arch linux

Reply #2
I decided to do a clean installation from base iso and now I'm replying from this new artix installation.
Thanks for your reply though, this maybe help as reference in future.