Skip to main content
Topic: New user - Noob Questions (Read 894 times) previous topic - next topic

New user - Noob Questions

Hey all ive been wanting to switch now for a while but cant make up which init to choose.
Im just a basic user and wont be doing anything related to inits i just want a faster boot time because systemd-analyze shows a bunch of systemd services taking like 15-30 seconds. (I am also interested in these inits as an sysd alternatives since pretty much every other distro uses sysd.) Can you guys recommend which one to choose? Ive been researching and found that runit (also runit is no longer maintained?) and s6 are fast and openRC is a little slower. I am on HDD if that matters.
When i would install an iso i have one more thing im curious about. Ive noticed that the Xfce iso has conman as network manager. How can i change it to NetworkManager? Im more familiar with it. I have read some things about how to change it but it also depends on init if im not mistaken so i would like some further help and info. Thats about it. Thanks for any help!  :)

Re: New user - Noob Questions

Reply #1
My opinion is that you should go with runit. I personally strongly dislike how OpenRC handles display managers and its parallel service startup, but the tl;dr is: runit works well with very little fiddling. It's not unmaintained, just effectively considered feature complete, and no bugs have popped up in the last few years; therefore it hasn't been updated since.

To change from conman to NetworkManager, I'm not sure since I did the base install, but it's likely that you just install networkmanager-runit(or openrc/s6, depending on which one you decide to go with) and uninstall conman. Maybe get a second opinion before you actually do it.

Reply #2
I made that question myself and I just read all the official webpages.

I personally liked it Runit and S6, runit is simpler and it just do what it has to do and it does it well. But in my opinion people should give a chance to S6, it's amazing and it's very fast.  Of course the final decision is yours.

If you want to change Connman for Networkmanager  you only have to remove connman.

Code: [Select]
pacman -R connman connman-<theinitiyouchoose>

And install Networkmanager:

pacman -R networkmanager networkmanager-<theinitiyouchoose>

For example, if you choose runit it would be like this:

pacman -R connman connman-runit
pacman -R networkmanager networkmanager-runit

When you uninstall Connman you also have to be sure that directories "/var/lib/connman/" and "/var/lib/connman-vpn/" are gone otherwise you might have problem with Networkmanager.

Artix Linux Colombia

Reply #3
Okay thanks guys 1 more question. When i remove conman will i have access to the internet so i can download networkmanager?

Reply #4
You could always install networkmanager before uninstalling connman

Reply #5
Okay i thought they could maybe interfere. Im gonna probably install it over these 2 days. Thanks again guys.

Reply #6
I personally switched from using Arch for a year and a half or so, to Artix with runit. I can't speak for the other init systems, but runit reminds me of how init was like with sysv, when I first used Linux. If you have to manage your services, it is very simple, everything is like shell script, and even if you don't know much shell, it is very simple to research, read, and learn. Also, runit boots and shuts down ridiculously fast. Like, blazing.

As far as getting networkmanager working instead of connman, once you install networkmanager like the previous posts have advised, you also want to enable the service with

ln -s  /etc/runit/sv/NetworkManager /run/runit/service

with root privileges to get the service running. You can read more about this here under Basic usage.