Skip to main content
Topic: Abjection (Read 1702 times) previous topic - next topic

Abjection

While I have installed Artix on a variety of machines, the two insuperable problems I had were with two laptops, one with an eMMC and the other with an M.2 SSD.  In the first case, the installer failed to detect the storage medium.  In the second, the installer would fail no matter what divergent strategies were used.  Both had to be converted from Manjaro Openrc.

Then, this happened to me:

I had blind faith in Artix and its testing repositories and learned my lesson. It seems as I got caught within that period where updates were uploaded and mirrors were not fully synced. So all my upgrades seem to have been half done, even though it showed “all up to date nothing to do”. Glibc mkinitcpio, elongid, etc. were not all of the same edition and the kernel images produced were unbootable.

https://sysdfree.wordpress.com/2017/10/04/141/

My attempt at repair was unsuccessful, however.  In the end, also given the added wrinkle of HiDPI, on that one single machine I had to go back to Manjaro.  I'm not happy; and everyday the news indicates the situation getting worse, on all fronts:

https://sysdfree.wordpress.com/2017/10/26/150/

Aaack.  Abjection.

Re: Abjection

Reply #1
Breakage sucks, but you're using testing repositories of a distro in its infancy. Have some perspective at least.

Reply #2
The second link you posted seems to just be quite a bit of FUD. The bit about Secure Boot just seems like misinformation. I use it on my Artix install with my own Secure Boot keys, so I have complete control over it.

Reply #3
I had to go back to Manjaro.  I'm not happy;
Aaack.  Abjection.

I haven't tested this but you can install from another OS to another partition if the iso contains a live image. (Does it? I don't know.)
This is just a very approximate guide.
Shrink your fs, then shrink the partition (if you need more space) and make a new one, use fdisk or gparted from a live cd.
# mount -o loop /home/username/Downloads/artix.iso /somewhere
Copy the .sqfs file somewhere, and mount the new partition.
# mount /dev/sd?? /mntpoint
# mkdir /mntpoint/sq
# unsquashfs -d /mntpoint/sq/ whatever.sqfs
# mv /mntpoint/sq/* /mntpoint
Then proceed kind of like installing Arch, and make it bootable somehow. You could use the other OS's bootloader to boot Artix too.
You may need to be a bit inventive, use chroot, possibly bind mount some stuff like proc and dev which is done by archchroot but that may not be needed. If you managed this it could make a good how to if you kept notes.
Some OS's have guides to do this kind of thing.
 ;D